Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Action lines:
The immediate needs of the town council would be assistance with a front end loader and a truck to bury the huge amounts of sea grass that have accumulated on the beaches both public and private, also the supply of about 2000 cu. Yd's. of hardcore.

Report On Actions of San Pedro Emergency Committee During The threat of Hurricane Wilma.

San Pedro Emergency Committee was activated on Monday 17th October 2005 at 11:00Hrs by the N.E.M.O. District Coordinator James Janmohamed on Advice of the Central National Emergency Management Organisation.
S.P.E.C. immediately started the review of its Hurricane Orders and Emergency Planes.

At Tuesday 10:20Hrs the San Pedro Emergency Committee met at the Town Hall. Col. Lovell Chief Coordinator for N.E.M.O. was in constant touch with me throughout the duration of the Storm. Col. Castillo Logistic Administrator Ministry of Defence called to offer himself for any way he could be of assistance, and Mr. Carlos fuller was of tremendous assistance in the decision making process.

The Committee decided with advice of the N.E.M.O. to warn the public of the Track of Hurricane Wilma and the risk it could prove to San Pedro Residents if it takes a westerly path rather then a W.N.W. path.

The National Emergency Management Organization declared the
Preliminary Phase of the Hurricane Plan for Belize as a precautionary measure associated with the movement of Hurricane Wilma on Wednesday 19th October 2005.

The San Pedro Emergency Committee after further consultations and taking into account the advice received from Mr. Carlos Fuller. Col. Lovell, and Corroboration with National Hurricane Centre Miami, decided to advise the people of San Pedro, if their homes could not withstand Tropical Strom force winds and the tidal surges, they should consider a voluntary dispersal to the Main land, also the Committee asked the Resorts to do the same for the tourist if their Resorts could not withstand Tropical Storm Force winds of up to 50 M.P.H. No mass evacuation was advised.

The Area Representative Hon Manuel Heradia Jr., The Deputy Mayor of San Pedro Mr. Severo Guerrero and the Operations Officer Mr. James Janmohamed constantly kept the public informed on the Reef Radio, which graciously stayed on the air during the whole time San Pedro was under the threat of Hurricane Emily. Other Mainland Media stations also came and got reports from the Island.

The San Pedro Emergency Committee kept meeting at frequent intervals and the Emergency Operations Centre was manned under the auspices of the Operations Officer James Janmohamed and the E.O.C. Supervisor Mr. Jim Deal 24 hours a day and were stood down after N.E.M.O. called the Green phase to be declared.

During the voluntary dispersal of the population of San Pedro the figures are reported to be approximately 1000. Taking into consideration that this is low season for tourists.

Communications were provided by the B.D.F. and B.T.L. also a Satellite Phone was made available by N.E.M.O. The Public was informed by Reef Radio, and various other main land media services.

Utilities were never terminated at any time and B.E.L., B.W.S.L. and Belize Water Company Ltd. represented by Mr. Chris Nunez, Aaron Lock, and Wade Van Doren were ready for any contingency and also ready to shut down the various utilities, on orders from the Executive of the San Pedro Emergency Committee.

Dr. Giovanni Dr. Gonzales, Dr. Rodriguez, and Mr. Novello were on hand for all medical emergencies.

Inspector Sabal, with the help of the B.D.F. Maritime personnel under Sgt. Chun worked tirelessly all through the incident and prevented a lot of criminal activity. The San Pedro Emergency Committee Executive accompanied the Police and the B.D.F. on various patrols during the night and the early morning hours.

Mr. Jeron Garcia from the Belize Fire Service had both Fire Engines operational and filled with potable water, so if after the fact we needed drinking water immediately for the Emergency services or Injured personnel it would be available.

Transport officer Mr. Marcos Guerra & Ms. Debbie Spain were present to assist the Police in traffic control.

We were assisted a great deal by Mr. Panton from the Belize Red Cross and an Ex Meteorologist with understanding the weather patterns and also assistance with medical supplies.

Deputy Mayor Severo Guerrero and Councillors Nano Guerrero and Nesto Gomez worked diligently as members in charge of supplies and also kept the committee in food and drinks during the operation.

On Friday 21st October, 2005 NEMO representatives Col Lovell and Ms. Noreen Fairweather requested a report on damage by Hurricane Wilma to San Pedro Ambergris Caye. I informed Ms. Fairweather that we could do with some Enginears to asses the damage she agreed and the team arrived on Saturday 22nd October, comprised of Mr. Albert Roches Environmental Officer, Mr. Lee Van Chan, and Mr. Esmond Segura both engineers from Ministry of Works Belmopan. The team was transported by the Belize Defense Force Air wing Defender Aircraft under the able command of Major Dortch. Col Lovell visited the Island on the Aircraft's return trip.

The damage incurred to San Pedro is as follows:
A lot of streets in San Pedrito, San Juan, San Pablo, San Mateo, and Boca Del Rio had street erosion. Town core suffered Beach erosion.
Most of the Resorts and some Private piers were damaged, some only 20 % but others as much as 50 %. The Ministry of works will submit an in-depth report.

The immediate needs of the town council would be assistance with a front end loader and a truck to bury the huge amounts of sea grass that have accumulated on the beaches both public and private, also the supply of about 2000 cu. Yd's. of hardcore.

James Janmohamed
District Emergency Coordinator: N.E.M.O.
Operations Officer: San Pedro Emergency Committee.
Tuesday, 25 October 2005 15:48Hrs.

if there is anything one can do to volunteer and help and no work permit is needed/ it is legal to do, please message me as I would love to help.

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
The Deputy Mayor is Coordinating the Cleanup, I am sure he would like some Help. His cell # is 604-9448

Marty, thank you. I just called. Nothing goes through. Do you have an email address? I am not sure I can volunteer in any form without a work permit and I must be sure before doing anything in Belize.

I am interested in giving 2 hrs a day, 3 days a week of my time to help to this cause.

(and if it was allowed, I would LOVE to volunteer at the school 2 days a week too, but I can't.)

S
S
Try calling the San Pedro Town Council office at 226-2198 or 226-2788

thank you, they just said they need no volunteers. I didn;t even get to the part about me needing permits cause they said they have employees doing it right now.

Jesse and Marty and anyone else here...if you know ways for me to voluteer legally please notify me. I am especially interested in the Green Reef and at schools.

S
S
What "above jobs"? They need machines and material but have an excellent staff to operate the equipment.

I am sorry! I did not know what a front end loader was nor did Marty, I asked him and he was going to check it out for me.

I was just wanting to help if help was needed and I see it wasn't. sorry.

i thought they needed people to do the work, I did not read it as though they were looiking for the machine to work the front end loader.

S
S
Have you met the people at Green Reef? Saga? Library? Schools? A visit in person might turn up something...and you'd make some new friends too.

thanks for the idea. I have no idea where green reef is and have asked people. do you know> was told I can NOT volunteer without a work permit? yet I do not want to be paid. I do NOT want to do anything illegal or disobey the rules in Belize. I will go to Saga and the library and schools this week and ask, but like I said when I went to immigrations they said no.

S
S
When you find an NGO that wants you as a volunteer they will help you get a permit. You cannot apply for a permit without the support of
an NGO.
Green Reef is located in a small building on the vacant area of Banyan Bay, about 1.5 miles south of town. Mito Paz is the head of it. There are usually a couple of Peace Corps girls working there.

thank you so very much, I did not know this and am surprised immigrations did not tell me if someone wants a volunteer they might assist. You are full of great information, Thanks again, excited. Hopefully in Nov I can assist then with Green Reef or the kids.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 272 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.