Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#111163 - 11/14/05 05:45 PM mmmm recipe - Pepitas: Heart-Healthy Snack!
Marty Offline
Pepitas: Heart-Healthy Snack!

Pepitas, or roasted pumpkin seeds, are an inexpensive and healthy snack, readily available in Belize and Mexico.

They are high in fiber and vitamins B and E; and are a good source of alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), a healthy fat that reduces inflammation,
improves blood vessel health, and has beneficial effects on blood fats.

Even better, pepitas are quick & easy to make at home!

Do-It-Yourself Pepitas

1. Remove the seeds from a pumpkin or squash and clean most of the pulp from them. (It's okay to leave some of the strings, which add flavor!)

2. Toss the cleaned seeds with a little olive oil and seasoning of your choice (salt is traditional but also try garlic powder, lemon pepper, or cayenne for variety).

3. Spread the seeds on a baking sheet and roast in the oven at 300 degrees for about 45 minutes, stirring every 5 or 10 minutes so they don't stick or burn.

Shortcut: if you're in a hurry, you can also roast seeds in the microwave! Combine 1 cup seeds with 1 tablespoon oil in a microwave safe bowl and cook on high 2 minutes. Remove from microwave, stir, and cook in additional 1-minute increments until as crisp as you like. Salt to taste.

TIP: Store any leftover pepitas in the refrigerator to keep their fresh-roasted flavor longer, up to 2 months.

#111164 - 11/14/05 07:09 PM Re: mmmm recipe - Pepitas: Heart-Healthy Snack!
LaurieMar Offline
If you do not happen to be in Belize or Mexico and like pepitas (I do!) and live near a Trader Joe's (I do), they have them there. Very tasty.

#111165 - 11/14/05 07:20 PM Re: mmmm recipe - Pepitas: Heart-Healthy Snack!
klcman Offline
MAny health/organic food stores carry them too!

#111166 - 11/14/05 08:09 PM Re: mmmm recipe - Pepitas: Heart-Healthy Snack!
Corona Steve Offline
Trader Joe's, in Calif, long time, as I used to live in Pasadena, and shop at the Arroyo Parkway store.
Those Pumpkin seeds, they are the best, but have to buy them from 7-11 here in Florida. The new ones are shelled, and have a great taste. Next trip to AC, will try and bring home from their.
Love them.
Will try recipe, when I buy pumpkin, or find one, other than Halloween.

#111167 - 11/14/05 08:28 PM Re: mmmm recipe - Pepitas: Heart-Healthy Snack!
MALIBU Offline
I coat them in melted butter baby! Mmmmmmmm. Still have the fiber and vits with just a weeee bit o fat in there laugh

#111168 - 11/15/05 03:15 AM Re: mmmm recipe - Pepitas: Heart-Healthy Snack!
GailM Offline
Belize lore...pepitas are also called Macobi seeds. When someone sees you eating them, they say you are lovesick.

#111169 - 11/15/05 10:04 AM Re: mmmm recipe - Pepitas: Heart-Healthy Snack!
Laguna Punta Offline
Lovesick??? Nice word for horny. :rolleyes:

#111170 - 11/18/05 01:11 AM Re: mmmm recipe - Pepitas: Heart-Healthy Snack!
margarita Offline
Guess the Belize lore of pepitas differs between males & females!! I heard when you eat pepitas you are longing for your loved one who is far away!

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 95 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,676 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,064 Topics
462,323 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.