Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Pepitas: Heart-Healthy Snack!

Pepitas, or roasted pumpkin seeds, are an inexpensive and healthy snack, readily available in Belize and Mexico.

They are high in fiber and vitamins B and E; and are a good source of alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), a healthy fat that reduces inflammation,
improves blood vessel health, and has beneficial effects on blood fats.

Even better, pepitas are quick & easy to make at home!

Do-It-Yourself Pepitas

1. Remove the seeds from a pumpkin or squash and clean most of the pulp from them. (It's okay to leave some of the strings, which add flavor!)

2. Toss the cleaned seeds with a little olive oil and seasoning of your choice (salt is traditional but also try garlic powder, lemon pepper, or cayenne for variety).

3. Spread the seeds on a baking sheet and roast in the oven at 300 degrees for about 45 minutes, stirring every 5 or 10 minutes so they don't stick or burn.

Shortcut: if you're in a hurry, you can also roast seeds in the microwave! Combine 1 cup seeds with 1 tablespoon oil in a microwave safe bowl and cook on high 2 minutes. Remove from microwave, stir, and cook in additional 1-minute increments until as crisp as you like. Salt to taste.

TIP: Store any leftover pepitas in the refrigerator to keep their fresh-roasted flavor longer, up to 2 months.

L
L
If you do not happen to be in Belize or Mexico and like pepitas (I do!) and live near a Trader Joe's (I do), they have them there. Very tasty.

MAny health/organic food stores carry them too!

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
C
C
Trader Joe's, in Calif, long time, as I used to live in Pasadena, and shop at the Arroyo Parkway store.
Those Pumpkin seeds, they are the best, but have to buy them from 7-11 here in Florida. The new ones are shelled, and have a great taste. Next trip to AC, will try and bring home from their.
Love them.
Will try recipe, when I buy pumpkin, or find one, other than Halloween.

I coat them in melted butter baby! Mmmmmmmm. Still have the fiber and vits with just a weeee bit o fat in there laugh

G
G
Belize lore...pepitas are also called Macobi seeds. When someone sees you eating them, they say you are lovesick.

Lovesick??? Nice word for horny. :rolleyes:

Gone fishing!!
Guess the Belize lore of pepitas differs between males & females!! I heard when you eat pepitas you are longing for your loved one who is far away!

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 338 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.