Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#111314 - 11/15/05 05:18 PM Mayan Princess Hotel? Dive Op?
rdy2diveblz Offline
Can anyone give me info on the Mayan Princess Hotel and the dive operator who takes out divers from a shop at the hotel? My daughter,17 and I are scheduled on a trip there Dec 20-27,this year. Especially looking for information on whether the dive op is safe. I have seen some scarey reports on some forums about Belize diving. thanks in advance for any information. smile

#111315 - 11/15/05 05:26 PM Re: Mayan Princess Hotel? Dive Op?
Kra-Z-K Offline
Mayan Princess's closest dive shop/pier is Amigo's Del Mar, who by the way many including myself feel is the best dive shop. VERY safe, VERY professional. Just got in from a dive with them. I believe they have dive packages with that hotel as well. As Mayan Princess.

#111316 - 11/15/05 07:39 PM Re: Mayan Princess Hotel? Dive Op?
seashell Offline
I believe the scary reports you have been reading are about an incident that happened down Placencia way. Not the same as you will find at Amigo's, or many of the other fine shops in San Pedro.

#111317 - 11/15/05 07:54 PM Re: Mayan Princess Hotel? Dive Op?
rdy2diveblz Offline
Thanks for all the info! How far is Amigo's Del Mar from the Mayan Princess? I got the impression there was a dock right at the Mayan Princess. Is it walking distance or do we need to get transportation before dives to there? We are both small people, so we usually try to stay at a hotel with a dock or take dive on live-aboards(easy diving!)? We do usually travel with our own dive gear instead of rent, so we usually take most of it back to our rooms overnight.
You are right, I have read of the incidents at Placencia(sp?)

#111318 - 11/15/05 08:23 PM Re: Mayan Princess Hotel? Dive Op?
seashell Offline
Just a hop, skip and a jump from the Mayan. I've stayed there myself a time or three. Love that I can run back to my room during surface intervals. Even so, I didn't bother to take my gear back to my room every day. Amigos has a great lockup. You can leave your gear to dry on their racks and they'll even put it away for you at the end of the day. I generally, liked to go back and make sure that my stuff was properly stored, but in the end that was a bit anal of me. wink

I keep my computer with me at all times, so if you have a computer in your regs instead of a wrist computer, you'll want to take your regs home with you.

#111319 - 11/15/05 08:46 PM Re: Mayan Princess Hotel? Dive Op?
rdy2diveblz Offline
seashell, thanks! That sounds great! This trip is looking better all the time. Both of our computers are the wrist type, so they are easy. That just reminds me to check our batteries before trip on them. smile We had our Christmas dive trip to Cozumel canceled because of Hurricane Wilma and a travel agent found this replacement trip to AC for us at the last minute.

#111320 - 11/15/05 09:27 PM Re: Mayan Princess Hotel? Dive Op?
Wyoming Carla Offline
The Mayan Princess is wonderful, so is the staff. Fido's is right next door where you can eat, drink, listen to great music, and buy wonderful gifts at Belizian Arts. If you don't want to be bothered by (sometimes) loud music coming from Fido's, you might request a room at the north end of the building. Don't miss going downstairs and next door to Lily's for a lobster omlette, fresh tomatoe juice, and fry jacks for breakfast. Hang on, you are in for a wonderful ride! ENJOY!!!!! laugh laugh laugh

#111321 - 11/15/05 10:37 PM Re: Mayan Princess Hotel? Dive Op?
Teenah Offline
sounds like the voice of experience smile

#111322 - 11/15/05 11:52 PM Re: Mayan Princess Hotel? Dive Op?
SuzyQ Offline
We stayed at Mayan Princess our last visit and loved it. The apt was roomy and very clean, and the staff was exceptionally helpful in every way. We also used Amigos for snorkling and again, it was great. Mayan is right in the heart of town, which is what we were looking for. Everything right there. You will enjoy.

#111323 - 11/16/05 01:43 AM Re: Mayan Princess Hotel? Dive Op?
Lan Sluder/Belize First Offline
Mayan Princess is right in the heart of town, an excellent value, not super deluxe and no pool but well run and very pleasant, with wonderful sea views from the suites. An excellent choice in a condotel if you want to be close to everything. I've stayed in more than a hundred hotels in Belize, and I think Mayan Princess is what a lot of people are looking for in an affordable, spacious and well-located option in San Pedro.

Amigos del Mar is probably the most recommended dive shop in Belize, and in a whole different category than the dive shop you heard about in Placencia.

--Lan Sluder

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 40 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,672 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,016 Topics
462,196 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.