Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#111324 - 11/15/05 06:29 PM Renters Insurance/Vonage Phones
Can anyone give me advice on getting renter's insurance while living on AC and also what has people's experience been using Vonage as a "landline" phone?

Thanks again much

#111325 - 11/15/05 08:40 PM Re: Renters Insurance/Vonage Phones
WhiteWater Offline
I looked at Vonage, and figured why pay them? There is free software for talking to other users, and they have minimal charges to make it work with regular phones. I use Gizmo, but Skype is very popular. Check 'em out and see what you think. I got an mvox, nice little speakerphone with great sound quality ($39, I think). I have a phone number with my US area code so Mom and friends can call us at no extra cost to them (or me). So far this is definitely cheaper than the Vonage cheap plan, and cheaper than my landline was in the states.

I have found one issue here: I can call a Belize landline with Gizmo (~.24 a minute I think), but I can't call the Belize mobile phones. My friend started Gizmo (that might be why I use it :-), and he told me he'd get that fixed. My wild guess is that it's a billing problem, because here, the calling party pays for the call, the mobile user does not. I have no idea if Skype would work to call Belize mobiles, not sure if I want to install it.

#111326 - 11/16/05 01:24 PM Re: Renters Insurance/Vonage Phones
I don't know what the pay version of Skype is like, but I use the free version and it's good. Call quality always seems good, and security for your computer also seems good. I use Vonage most of the time, as I don't need a computer present to use it. Call quality is very good when the internet bandwidth permits - quite often I find that the bandwidth given by BTL results in breakup if I have any computers using the same connection. An alternative to Vonage that is reportedly only marginally inferior but is markedly cheaper is Lingo. A friend of mine has used this since it came out and feels no need to change.

Things like the free Skype are great for the odd conversation while you're at your computer, but Vonage functions just like any other wired phone but with greater flexibility. I don't see them as competitors.

#111327 - 11/16/05 01:41 PM Re: Renters Insurance/Vonage Phones
We appreciate the info. I guess I should have also asked about internet connectivity. I guess BTL is the only game in town: What do they charge for unlimited, and with a router, is wireless available?

Thanks again

#111328 - 11/16/05 10:16 PM Re: Renters Insurance/Vonage Phones
Kra-Z-K Offline
no, btl i snot the only game in town.

Coral Cable, which I feel is faster and has not deposit or contract. $75 BZ installation and connection speeds ranging from $65 BZ-$210 BZ.
They are all unlimited, just different speeds. Wireless is widely available.

#111329 - 11/17/05 01:03 AM Re: Renters Insurance/Vonage Phones
seashell Offline
Is that a typo I see or an opinion? giggle
A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

#111330 - 11/17/05 07:12 AM Re: Renters Insurance/Vonage Phones
SimonB Offline
Should grab a kleenex then!

Don't forget that cable runs through BTL routers so don't expect any better level of service.

ke's right about wireless, even The Stained Glass Pub offers wireless now.

#111331 - 11/17/05 08:16 AM Re: Renters Insurance/Vonage Phones
WhiteWater Offline
Uh oh, here come the sniffers. :-)

#111332 - 11/17/05 09:32 AM Re: Renters Insurance/Vonage Phones
captjeff Offline
there's a booger in the suger ,no it is snot...great song... life is so much fun when you got a sence of humor.......
Living The Dream Every Day!

#111333 - 11/17/05 12:27 PM Re: Renters Insurance/Vonage Phones
klcman Offline
sing it all Jeffy!
_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 18 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,631 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,687 Topics
461,187 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.