Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
I am looking at making my first trip to Belize in Feb or March.

I have researched airfare, and although cost isn't a huge factor...variety is. So I found it was only $350 (incl taxes) to fly from Portland to Cancun. And $520 to fly from Portland to Belize City.

I am leaning towards starting in Cancun for a day or two, before continuing my journey to AC. Does anyone have information/links regarding that 6 hours bus ride from Cancun to AC?

Can someone show me a link to transportation while on AC? The town/area looks too large to walk everywhere...is there a good bus system within San Pedro for wandering around?

And not related to my topic header....I saw tons about boat diving...but is there any shore diving available on AC?

Thanks in advance fo'ks!

Seashell by the seashore, picking up seashells
Hi,
I have never taken the bus all the way down, but there are several threads on this board that describe the trip. As Yoda would say, "use the search, Luke".

If you're tramping around, I'd recommend that you take the bus from Cancun to Playa del Carmen and then grab the ferry to Cozumel. Really, why would a diver hang out in Cancun when Cozumel offers better diving? There's also good diving on the coast of the Yucatán, in the Cenotes and offshore. If you're adventurous, dive the Banco Chinchorro atoll. Then, get back on the bus and head down to Belize. I recommend the ADO bus line, but others are probably as good or better.

I don't believe there's any shore diving at Ambergris Caye. Every place I've seen that was close to shore was
  • Shallow
  • Sandy
  • Overrun with boat traffic

However, I recommend the dorkeling.

Dan

"Facts are the enemy of Truth"
Don Quixote
C
C
There is a bus from the airport to Playa, so you don't have to go into town. Your best bet for travel in Belize itself would be to bus to Corozal and fly to Ambergris, saving a visit to Belize City.

The Cancun area mainland and offshore are kind of torn up from Hurricane Wilma which occurred two storms ago. If you plan to spend time there you can check a Cancun, PDC, or Coz message board just before you will leave. I'm sure it will be fine just passing through in any case.

transportation on AC = walk/bike/golf cart rental

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
There are no buses in San Pedro. There are no shore diving venues on AC.

Hi, Researched this quite a bit - ADO bus to Chetumal, taxi to Corozal then fly to Am. Caye or else bus it to Belize City with a water taxi ride to Am. Caye. I've redone our plans. We're going to spend 7 days in Playa del Carmen in May then take a 2 week trip to Am.Caye, Flores and Rotatan in Dec. We're not into 3 week vacations when we have pet sitters here at the house. I'll post the bus schedules for you tomorrow - we just got in this evening.

Fish never hold their breath - Cheers to the Fish!
Bus Station is located downtown on Avenidas Tulum at Uxmal, across from Hotel Plaza Caribe. Second class is next door. You could also leave from Playa del Carmen. Be there two hours before and make a reservation 48 hours in advance. Hint: Don't site on the left site up front - views aren't visable due to the large mirrors and if you sit in the center - the toilets are a pain. Recommend sitting on the right side of the bus up front.

Daily: to Chetumal: ADO Deluxe Class: 00:30, 06:30, 08:00, 12:00, 15:00, 17:00, 23:00 TT 6:00 $14.

ADO GL, Delux Class Daily: TT 5:00 $21

Caribe Express, Executive Class Daily TT 5:00 $20.
Inter-Caribe, First Class, Daily TT 5:00 $20

web site is: www.geocities.com/busacrossmexico

Hope this helps.

Fish never hold their breath - Cheers to the Fish!

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 289 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.