Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#111498 - 11/20/05 11:43 AM Small plane preference?
Xoe Offline
Is there any reason to choose one over the other between Maya Island Air and Tropic Air?

Reason for question: I have a paid reservation on one, made months ago when my plans were different. I now have a different traveling companion (sister instead of husband) which meant a change of lodging (2 bedrooms required), which has resulted in a confusing situation on air reservations.

Any thoughts? Schedules are similar. Are safety considerations and/or on-time records the same or different? Any reason to choose one over the other?

#111499 - 11/20/05 11:46 AM Re: Small plane preference?
klcman Offline
No particular reason to change.

On time records? laugh laugh laugh they both be on island time.

Actually, though - they are both fine. No worries.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman

#111500 - 11/20/05 04:36 PM Re: Small plane preference?
spl Offline
Tropic. they also seem to run more flights. they are scheduled every 40 min to the hour from BZE-SPR yet the last two times I arrived, went through customs and they had a 1:40, 2:10 and 2:40.

#111501 - 11/20/05 05:12 PM Re: Small plane preference?
atomicindy Offline
I have always taken Tropic. It seems like if Tropic can fill a plane early, then they leave early from BZE to San Pedro. I try to work my Tropic reservation to give me enough time to stop off at Jet's. The only problem is Tropic always leaves early and cuts into my rum punch drinking time.

#111502 - 11/20/05 06:00 PM Re: Small plane preference?
casa de amor Offline
My entire family flies tropic air, and has been since it was founded. Never had any problems with them, (i hope to someday work for them). Im not saying that Maya isn't as good as tropic but from the experiences i have had with tropic i wouldn't change my airline.

#111503 - 11/21/05 07:55 AM Re: Small plane preference?
Denny Shane Offline
I've used Maya every single time... Always a pleasure and never a problem. They always leave on time and never early.

I also make time to sit and enjoy a Beliken at Jet's. That is part of the experience. eek

#111504 - 11/21/05 08:56 AM Re: Small plane preference?
BobW Offline
Maya has been doing 50% off for cash paid tickets. We stumbled into that accidently and used them for all our flights while we were in Belize.

#111505 - 11/21/05 11:01 AM Re: Small plane preference?
SimonB Offline
They were for a while, not sure if they still are. Friends of mine were buying up open tickets to use for later dates.

#111506 - 11/21/05 10:15 PM Re: Small plane preference?
BobW Offline
Ahh..so the Maya Islands seat sale is over then. Too bad, but as I'm back in Canada, I'm not that broken up about it. It was great while we were down there though.

#111507 - 11/24/05 11:59 AM Re: Small plane preference?
ScubaLdy Offline
Just like so many things here (resorts - dive operators - fishing guides - etc.) we all have our preferences and for different reasons. I started with Tropic and have not had a problem so I stick with them.

Here's my hint though: If there are two or more people coming in to international I have them take a taxi to the muni airport. It costs half as much to fly from muni as it does from international. The taxi ride used to be BZ$40 but the guests that just came it said it had been raised (because of the cost of gas) to BZ$45. Still a good buy.

I like them to see a bit of the main land and everyone has always raved about the education they get from the cab driver. Most of my friends come in on American and arrive at 3:42. I book them for the 4:30 flight out of muni. If they miss that, and none have so far, they will be put on the 5:30 flight.

It is not uncommon for them to get on the flight which, when not full, goes to international and picks up the overflow. That is always good for a laugh! The other good thing about this is that their luggage is always on the same plane that they are on. Not so coming from international. I came in on the 4:30 flight but my luggage didnít get here until the 530 one. Itís a good thing I have become a Belizean and know how to wait.

Take only pictures leave only bubbles

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 43 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,638 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,734 Topics
461,302 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.