Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#111709 - 11/26/05 07:13 PM First Timer
sea urchin Offline
This will be my first trip to Ambergris Caye, and I have some questions. I'm sure many people have asked these questions besides me, so sorry in advance.

Is there another way to get to the Caye besides the local airlines?

Can anybody suggest a hotel in the $50-75 a night (US) range?

I plan to bring Travelers Checks. Is there anyplace I can cash them?

I hope to do some snorkling (I'm new at it), but mainly plan to lie around on the beach and splash in the water a bit. Are the beaches swimmable? Everybody keeps talking about snorkling and diving, but I'm not a strong swimmer so just preper to paddle around in the shallows.

Thanks for any suggestions.

#111710 - 11/26/05 07:23 PM Re: First Timer
Kra-Z-K Offline
SPINDRIFTS. $45-60/night, in town, on the beach, very clean and spacious rooms, and the 2 women that work at the front desk are so kind. They take cash, travelers checks (and give you the change as nearly everywhere does), and credit cards.

As for snorkling, my first trip here I went with Amigo's. They are extremly good at personal attention and tending to your individual needs. In fact, if you need extra assistance will get another person there to go with you if you want. I never intended on diving, and felt they were so professional that I ended up learning to dive here with them. Since then have been diving with a few others, no complaints, all fine, but really feel Amigo's goes the extra mile to ensure safety and a wonderful time.

I like Manuel or Andy for snorkling...

If you decide to do a resort diving course I like Eddie or Jim.

Once you dive, I like diving with Andy, Fito, Emilio, or Penguino Tony.

#111711 - 11/26/05 07:26 PM Re: First Timer
sea urchin Offline
Wow, you guys are fast! Thanks for the info.

#111712 - 11/26/05 07:34 PM Re: First Timer
Kra-Z-K Offline
just got back from gym and was hoping deacon would respond to my question about the thread he started with my name. so I have been checking each time I go in and out today.

I noticed your other question about getting here besides the local airlines. water ferry, one hour and 15 min. It is about $15 US to get here by water taxi but you need to take a cab $20 US to get to it. For the extra $20 US it costs to fly ($54 US one way) it is 15 minutes and beautiful to fly over the water and reef.

#111713 - 11/26/05 08:04 PM Re: First Timer
Richard Chambers Offline
If you haven't do so yet, visit the "lodging" link at the top of this page.There are a number of places within your price range :p Something to remember is that the listed prices can usually be negotiated,
particularly during the low season. I've been there a few times and only once did i prearrange lodging.
Actually it can be fun to walk down the beach see what you like before a long commitment.

#111714 - 11/26/05 08:05 PM Re: First Timer
NYgal Offline
The water taxi is fun if you like boating. You'll also get to meet new people and if the weather is nice it is a great trip.

Wear sunscreen!!! smile

The water taxi is a means of transportation for many of the locals too. They are such a kind group of people. There is much to be said for the taxi.

Air is a quick option.
Once there you can try the other route back to mainland if you want.

On a beautiful day the taxi is exhilerating.

I also love how it gives you time to get on Belizean time.

Fly if it's not a dry day wink
Enjoy your choice laugh

#111715 - 11/26/05 08:40 PM Re: First Timer
Kra-Z-K Offline
Richard, when were you here? I used to never pre book either when I came and the last two trips I took here in Feb and May many places I inquired on were booked solid.

I recommend if you come between Dec-April to book something these days.

I strongly agree, perhaps take the plane one way and boat the other. I really love the water taxi too and talking to people on it. I just thought you did not want to fly due to the question.

#111716 - 11/26/05 09:01 PM Re: First Timer
WhiteWater Offline
> Are the beaches swimmable?

This topic is discussed in quite a few threads, and opinions seem to vary. Several threads talk about the best areas to swim, and I've tried them. But IMHO, the answer is no. The motor boats, seagrass, and lack of depth pretty much keep me from swimming off of the beach and/or the docks. But, it's beautful when you're just relaxing on the beach. The colors are gorgeous, and lots of people enjoy wading around ankle- or knee-deep. Of course, once you get in a boat and go out to the reef, it's a whole different experience.

#111717 - 11/26/05 09:04 PM Re: First Timer
Kra-Z-K Offline
hi waterwater, have you/your husband seen me around since that day I was running? Have yet to meet you both.

#111718 - 11/28/05 08:40 PM Re: First Timer
sea urchin Offline
Thanks to everybody who answered my questions. I honestly didn't see the "Lodging" link up there, Richard, so thanks for pointing it out.

I guess my only remaining questions are, does the water taxi leave directly from the Municipal Airport? Do they have a schedule posted? I saw the ferry and water taxi schedules on the "Lodging" link, but they seemed to be for getting to and from different parts of the island.

If anybody would rather point me to another link, please feel free. ( :p )

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (tazh2o), 41 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,676 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,077 Topics
462,353 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.