Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#111973 - 12/02/05 12:15 PM Locate someone to travel with?
oregondiver Offline
Well...bought my tix yesterday. From Portland Oregon to Cancun, only $350 incl taxes. It is my birthday monday and just realized that it is kinda pathetic...I am going to an awesome island (AC)...and doing the whole trip solo.

Any suggestions for a website to try to find someone to travel part of all of way with?

I will be flying into cancun mid march, takign two days to get to AC.

Possibly y'all could also offer suggestions about my tentative plan?
Tentative plan : Get to cancun around 4pm.
Take a bus (possible?) to Playa Del Carmen that night. Stay there for about a day. \
Take the bus to Chorzal (or was it Chetumal?). Stay for one day.
Then fly (or water taxi) to AC.
Stay in AC to 3-4 days. Take taxi/fly to Mainland. Go to Guatamala for two days?
Then take bus back up to Cancun?

Is this all too much for a 14 day trip?
Alternate plan...
Cancun to Chorozal/chetumal same day?
AC the next day for 5 days.
Two days on mainland
about 3 days on AC. Take two days to head back to Cancun....

Suggestions to plan or travel buddies would be awesome. Just haven't figured out how I have my life together, active...and yet don't have anyone to spend part of the trip traveling with...

my mother (I am single female) doens't want me travelling alone....and of course she is right. So if I remain solo, the less wanderings I get to do...
Seashell by the seashore, picking up seashells

#111974 - 12/02/05 12:26 PM Re: Locate someone to travel with?
travelqueen Offline
As far as being on AC, you don't need a travel buddy in fact, I discourage it! Otherwise, it may be harder to meet all of the fabulous people who live on the island!!

Have a great time! I'll be there Dec. 15 so maybe you'll meet fabulous me! wink

#111975 - 12/02/05 04:26 PM Re: Locate someone to travel with?
I agree - TQ is fab!

#111976 - 12/02/05 04:29 PM Re: Locate someone to travel with?
snowbird Offline
I'm sorry I can't help w/the traveling companion but I can tell you about our bus travel. We did the same thing years ago the first times we went to BZ but things I am sure are changed smile . I "think" you can get bus from Cancun to Playa but not sure about your departure timing. We took a private vehicle to Playa cause we had a large group and the fare worked out fairly for us. Also we were traveling early in the AM and we did everything in one day. Someone had a bus schedule link on an earlier post. Use the "search" function above. And make sure to have correct $ for ticket ~ at bus staton no one had change and they only took pesos when we did it. The bus was very nice, air conditioned and tv but it was a lo-o-ong day of traveling with lots of speed bump "stops" and then 2-3 stops for Customs checks. We took the bus to Chetumal, had a van that met us there and took us across border and then to the airport in Corazol and then we flew over to AC. The first time we went we stayed overnight in Chetumal (and loved it), walked across the border and met our driver for ride to airport. Both were really no problem ~ now we just find it's easier to fly into BZ City and come across. But you've already got tickets.
IMHO I don't really think either of your tentative plans is really too much to do in your 14 days. Hopefully someone else will give you some pointers. I would get to the mainland if you can ~ one year we did Lamanai and Orange Walk area (we had a driver)and one year we stayed in Santa Elena (we had our own car) and did Tikal (which was awesome!)
Have a great trip!

#111977 - 12/02/05 06:19 PM Re: Locate someone to travel with?
Kra-Z-K Offline
I traveled to AC (I was 23, female, single) alone my first 5 times, and by choice. It was not pathetic, it was the most wonderful experience in my life. Not only do you get to do and go where you want with no one causing issues, you will experience more culture too if you choose to. I would never have seen and gotten to know so much about the wonderful Belizeans had I been with friends. I would have been hanging out with them more and not observed much of what I did when I was alone.

It is much safer here than where I came from so the only thing your mom has to worry about is you falling in love with Belize and moving down here. (lol, it happened to me.)

#111978 - 12/02/05 06:33 PM Re: Locate someone to travel with?
oregondiver Offline
Sorry...I guess I mean for the bus rides etc. No so much to stay with or hang with on teh island. but just safety...That way if you want to go do something like visit mayan ruins, at least someone knows where you are or when you will be back.

I wasn't thinking someone to hang with the whole time. I guess during the "travel" periods...
Seashell by the seashore, picking up seashells

#111979 - 12/02/05 06:36 PM Re: Locate someone to travel with?
Kra-Z-K Offline
you will be in groups for the day trips like the ruins. Very safe, will be with other tourists and the tour guides here on AC are wonderful. where are you staying here? Perhaps we will meet.

#111980 - 12/04/05 10:07 PM Re: Locate someone to travel with?
travelqueen Offline
Originally posted by lawcucui:
I agree - TQ is fab!
Ah, kisses for you Law! Hope you guys are doing well!!

#111981 - 12/05/05 09:41 AM Re: Locate someone to travel with?
Gordon Schumway Offline
Agree completely about solo travel in AC. I'm a single female and I went by myself in September and LOVED it. With a travel companion, you're less likely to fall into conversations with others and that was the highlight of the trip. It was so much fun to be walking along the beach and hear someone call out to me--BY NAME!

#111982 - 12/05/05 09:45 AM Re: Locate someone to travel with?
SP Daily Offline
Not many girls named Gordon...

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 41 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,636 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,728 Topics
461,286 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.