International jazz trumpet luminary BROWNMAN journeys to Luna in San Pedro for special New Years' Eve performance
MANGO JAM with special guest BROWNMAN [ www.brownman.com
Luna Restaurant @ Journey's End Resort, San Pedro [ www.JourneysEndResort.com
Dec. 31, 2005
Dinner reservations ONLY - call 226-2173
6:00pm dinner, music all night!
Journey's End Resort is honoured to present internationally-acclaimed, Trindad & Tobago born, New York City & Toronto based jazz trumpet icon BROWNMAN as a special guest with Belize's finest jazz ensemble MANGO JAM; for a historic New Year's celebration at its spectacular new Luna waterfront restaurant.
"It is a true honour for us to have Brownman as our distinguished musical guest at Luna for New Year's Eve," says Ruben Munoz, General Manager of Journey's End Resort. "San Pedro has been blessed to hear so much of his music this holiday season and we couldn't resist an opportunity to showcase his world-class skills and energy here under the stars at Luna."
Recently featured at the 1st Annual San Pedro International Jazz Festival as part of his Latin American tour, Brownman was the only performer to illicit not one, but two standing ovations from attendees after an encore was demanded of this energized trumpeter. This Latin American segment of the tour began in early Dec where his ground-breaking latin-jazz-urban ensemble CRUZAO would headline the Havana Jazz Festival in Cuba and continue on through Mexico, Honduras, Nicaragua and now Belize.
"My manager was juggling a lot of other gig offers from Toronto and New York, but truthfully - I really wanted to stay in Belize a little longer. The people have been so gracious and giving and I have never seen water so blue before. There's no better way than to show my gratitude to San Pedro and Journey's End for all the hospitality they have extended than this special New Year's performance with the Mango Jam crew." says Brownman. "That's the only good thing about touring without my regular band - I get to meet new local artists and see all the musical gifts they have to offer from their native lands. What artist wouldn't dig that?".
Born 'Nick Ali' on the small Caribbean island of Trinidad, this young multi-award winning jazz improvisor is internationally considered to be Canada's modern-day descendant of the trumpet visionaries Randy Brecker (the multiple Grammy award-winning legend and Brownman's New York City teacher) and Miles Davis. Tireless leader of no less than 8 diverse ensembles in Toronto, where he's now based after much NYC training, he already has over 150 CD recording credits as a bandleader, sideman, featured soloist, composer and arranger – and is Canada's top trumpet call in these various roles. The long list of greats with whom Brownman has shared the stage includes: Wayne Shorter, Randy Brecker, Chucho Valdes & IRAKERE, John Scofield, Roy Hargrove, Charlie Hunter, Gary Bartz, and SOULIVE. He is currently signed to the prestigious Canadian jazz label JUSTIN TIME RECORDS and is regarded as Canada's preeminent jazz trumpeter.
Stock publicity photo for all media (high-res JPG image): http://brownman.com/Images/Brownman1-high-res.jpg
Please visit www.Brownman.com
for more information on this young artist whose acclaim is paralleled only by his artistry and energy.
AWARDS & DISTINCTIONS
· Brownman & CRUZAO awarded the 2001 Montreal Jazz Fest's Grand Prix du Jazz Award
· Brownman & CRUZAO awarded the 2001 CBC Galaxie Rising Star Award
· Brownman awarded 2002 Canadian National Jazz Award (NJA) for Composer Of The Year
· Brownman nominated for 2002 Jazz Trumpet Player of the Year NJA
· Brownman & CRUZAO nominated for 2002, '03 & '04 Electric Jazz Group of the Year NJA
· Brownman & CRUZAO nominated for 2004 Canadian Independent Music Award for
Alternative Latin Group Of The Year
· Brownman awarded 2005 Toronto's Jazz Artist of the Year by acclaimed NOW Magazine
BROWN BAND WEBSITES (for each group's profiles, audio and much much more) :
· CRUZAO (chordless Latin-jazz-urban quintet) cruzao.brownman.com
· CRUZAO GRUPO MONSTRUOSO (15-man Latin-jazz orchestra) monster.brownman.com
· MARRON MATIZADO (10-piece progressive salsa) matizado.brownman.com
· Brownman & GRUVASYLUM (jazz-hip-hop & drum'n'bass) gruvasylum.brownman.com
· NICK ALI TRIO/QUARTET (NYC-style jazz) naq.brownman.com
· Brownman ELECTRYC TRIO (in the spirit of electric Miles Davis) electryctrio.brownman.com
· CHIVA (urban jazz with Afro-Colombian rhythms) chiva.brownman.com
· ALI BROS. (jazz-funk-hiphop a la Brecker Bros.) alibros.brownman.com
· TRINIDAD BACCHANAL ALL-STARS (calypso-inspired jazz) bacchanal.brownman.com