Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Xoe
One of the great things about traveling is trying stuff we don't have at home. Instead of bread why not try what the locals eat - tortillas? They are made fresh every day and taste nothing like the packaged ones in the supermarkets in the states. Also Alababa's, in addition to GREAT roasted chicken, sells that Lebanese bread - I can't think of the name right now. Also, many of the restaurants not only make their own tortillas from scratch, they then cut them into pie shapes and deep fry them for chips like you have never had! How fresh can you get? Hot off the stove!

smile

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
Alibaba's - YUM!!!
[Linked Image]

ScubaLdy:
I totally agree with you. One of the great things about traveling is seeing and trying new things. Your on vacation..enjoy! The whole foods will always be there when you return home!

Lily's Fry Jacks... mmmmmmm

X
Xoe Offline OP
OP Offline
X
Thanks -- great suggestions. We've talked specifically about not seeking the "same old same old" in Belize, and love your ideas for what is truly local.

Our quest for good bread stems from wanting something substantial to start the day (i.e., breakfast). We'd talked about tortillas -- we love 'em -- although the ones I like best are corn rather than flour. We also want to have as much as possible of fresh fruits & veggies. Any thoughts on that?

If you go to the La Popular bakery, go early morning and pick up a loaf of their cinnamon bread. We love it in the morning with coffee.

The fruits and vegetables here are so totally different from the bland hybridized stuff you get it the states that you will be spoiled. My daughter, who has now been here four times, says she can only eat the organically grown stuff now. She would never eat cooked carrots and now asks for them when here - they are soooo good.
The watermelons right now are fabulous - nothing better for breakfast. Although mangos are not in season it looks like papaya is. I've been eating an apple for breakfast each morning. I think these are coming in from Chile - very snappy.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
I always try to just wing it when it comes to food. I really don't have any FOOD issues, except that it has to be fresh. Sometimes while traveling you are fortunate enough to try something different, and it tastes great!! We can always expand our horizons.

scubaldy, have to agree the fruits are terrific (with exception to any kind of berry as they are all imported from the states and cost a fortune.) But there is such a wonderful selection of fresh fruits in BZ.

My problem is I find this to be the opposite for veggetables. Are you shopping at the greenhouse or the produce market by Richies or where? I MISS the lettuce selections and veggie selections in the states as well as the freshness. I am enjoying a fully-veggie-loaded mixed green leaf salad as I am writing and have been craving it for weeks. One of only four things I miss in the states.

btw, to make sure I made sense I am enjoying this salad in the states right now. In BZ I could never find all the items in this salad.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 340 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.