Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
X
Xoe Offline OP
OP Offline
X
We'll be vacationing at A.C. (Belizean Shores) the last week of January, and are exploring food otions. Is there a place you can get good dark bread (whole wheat, whole grain)? We will place an order with Lagniappe, but don't see such bread offered there.

We'll appreciate your help on this! Thanks --

S
S
Best whole grain bread I've found is Nablos brand from Cayo. I find it at Island Supermarket but it goes fast.

The La Popular (sp) bakery makes a wheat bread and on a hit or miss basis you can buy it at the bakery northside of SP, downtown at their little outlet, and at the grocery. It is a rather light (color & weight)whole wheat, and unless things have changed that is as good as it gets. Have never seen dark bread so just eat more fruit! smile The pineapples are great.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
Dark breads (Jewish rye, whole wheat darks or similar offerings) are VERY rare in SP. Most are brought in by visitors as a favor to local friends. Several loaves can fit nicely in a carry on and are questioned rarely at Customs. That would be the "Nothing to Declare" line.

I bought whole wheat at Richie's supermarket yesterday. Order everthing from lagniappe.

I buy whole wheat bread at the bakery. Was called La Popular but is now named Pan Dulce. Same place, same owner. La Popular was a franchise and Andre has now gone independent. Only time they have ever not had it is when I get there late in the day. Be sure and try their short bread cookies. You can buy them by the bag and they are heavenly for dunking. Be sure and keep all bread in the refrigerator as they get moldy fast due to the high humidity and they don't load them up with preservatives. Put cookies in sealed bags or jars. smile

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
S
S
Absolutely a great tip on the breads, always put them in the fridge or they'll go off within a day or so. The bread at Casa Pan Dulce is wheat bread, the Island Supermarket contains more full grains (both are very good though.)

X
Xoe Offline OP
OP Offline
X
Thanks -- all helpful input.

We are placing an order with Lagniappe. Their order form lists "wheat bread". Is this a real dark bread, or more like "Wonderbread" with a tan tint? (As you can see, we are very fond of hefty dark breads -- we live where there are many such choices.)

S
S
It's the Casa Pan Dulce bread, just your regular wheat bread, not dark.

Nablos wholewheat bread is also available at The Greenhouse on Front Street.

Xoe
One of the great things about traveling is trying stuff we don't have at home. Instead of bread why not try what the locals eat - tortillas? They are made fresh every day and taste nothing like the packaged ones in the supermarkets in the states. Also Alababa's, in addition to GREAT roasted chicken, sells that Lebanese bread - I can't think of the name right now. Also, many of the restaurants not only make their own tortillas from scratch, they then cut them into pie shapes and deep fry them for chips like you have never had! How fresh can you get? Hot off the stove!

smile

Harriette
Alibaba's - YUM!!!
[Linked Image]

ScubaLdy:
I totally agree with you. One of the great things about traveling is seeing and trying new things. Your on vacation..enjoy! The whole foods will always be there when you return home!

Lily's Fry Jacks... mmmmmmm

X
Xoe Offline OP
OP Offline
X
Thanks -- great suggestions. We've talked specifically about not seeking the "same old same old" in Belize, and love your ideas for what is truly local.

Our quest for good bread stems from wanting something substantial to start the day (i.e., breakfast). We'd talked about tortillas -- we love 'em -- although the ones I like best are corn rather than flour. We also want to have as much as possible of fresh fruits & veggies. Any thoughts on that?

If you go to the La Popular bakery, go early morning and pick up a loaf of their cinnamon bread. We love it in the morning with coffee.

The fruits and vegetables here are so totally different from the bland hybridized stuff you get it the states that you will be spoiled. My daughter, who has now been here four times, says she can only eat the organically grown stuff now. She would never eat cooked carrots and now asks for them when here - they are soooo good.
The watermelons right now are fabulous - nothing better for breakfast. Although mangos are not in season it looks like papaya is. I've been eating an apple for breakfast each morning. I think these are coming in from Chile - very snappy.

Harriette
I always try to just wing it when it comes to food. I really don't have any FOOD issues, except that it has to be fresh. Sometimes while traveling you are fortunate enough to try something different, and it tastes great!! We can always expand our horizons.

scubaldy, have to agree the fruits are terrific (with exception to any kind of berry as they are all imported from the states and cost a fortune.) But there is such a wonderful selection of fresh fruits in BZ.

My problem is I find this to be the opposite for veggetables. Are you shopping at the greenhouse or the produce market by Richies or where? I MISS the lettuce selections and veggie selections in the states as well as the freshness. I am enjoying a fully-veggie-loaded mixed green leaf salad as I am writing and have been craving it for weeks. One of only four things I miss in the states.

btw, to make sure I made sense I am enjoying this salad in the states right now. In BZ I could never find all the items in this salad.

How about the wonderful Bread Pudding?

Dare To Deviate
yes I agree with Chloe.

working on it. have to run a bit more and do squats more.

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
I've never found decent chewey moist wholemeal granary bread on AC or even in Belize City, though you can get decent flour and make it yourself. Trouble is the last few sacks I've bought (in Belize City) have always proved to have weevil in when I've opened them.

With Trader Joes here in California - I think I'm going to bring some very delicious bread with me when I visit in November. There's nothing like a whole grain bread with Marie Sharps Jellies/Jams.
Perhaps I will invite the residents for a Brunch when I'm there?

Gela's AC Motto: "All Roads Used to Lead to BC's - Now They Lead to Hurricane's!"
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 278 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.