Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#114559 - 01/10/06 10:31 AM Tipping customs
Xoe Offline
On January 20 we'll be on our way to Ambergris Caye for the first time. We'd like to know local customs & expectations for tipping -- for whom it is appropriate and approximately how much. Guide for a half-day snorkeling excursion? Guide for a day trip to Mayan ruins? Housekeeping in our condo? Water taxi drivers? In restaurants, is it similar to the U.S. (15%+-)?

In some countries tipping in certain situations is seen as rude; in others it's rude NOT to tip. I'd like to do it right!

#114560 - 01/10/06 10:37 AM Re: Tipping customs
travelqueen Offline
Tip them ALL, generously. smile

As far as restaurants, I tip 20% but I do that here in the states too.

#114561 - 01/10/06 11:09 AM Re: Tipping customs
Xoe Offline
We tip 20% at restaurants here at home, too -- but I think 15% is considered "customary". It's the amount many restaurants add automatically to the tab for large groups -- either 15% or 18%.

So, on a $35 snorkel trip would you tip $5? Or more? $5 per day for housekeeping? On a $5 water taxi ride, $1? I'm trying to figure out what kind of small bills to stock up on.

#114562 - 01/10/06 11:56 AM Re: Tipping customs
krehfish Offline
Tipping customs is the way to go.
Flyfishing my way through mid-life crisis.

#114563 - 01/10/06 12:14 PM Re: Tipping customs
Wittsend Offline
Once thing I've always wondered, do you tip taxi drivers? Most of them seem to run thier own vehicle, and flex price the fares, so seem to be working for themselves. Of course if you have a lot of luggage or other items they need to assist loading/unloading, a tip would be given, but what about a simple ride across town? You hop in, you hop out??

Always gets me wondering. I generally do tip at these times, following my usual, "When in doubt, tip". I'd rather be thought of as rude for being ignorant of custom, than rude for being cheap. smile
~ MJ
"Where am I going, and why am I in this handbasket??"

#114564 - 01/10/06 12:16 PM Re: Tipping customs
WhiteWater Offline
We tip the same percentage here as in the US. For diving we tip $5us per tank, so we add up the number of tanks our group used and multiply. Snorkeling we tend to do the same thing, $5us per snorkel.

#114565 - 01/10/06 12:19 PM Re: Tipping customs
Xoe Offline
WhiteWater, do you mean that on a snorkel trip to, e.g., Hol Chan and Shark Ray Alley, you'd tip $10 each person since it's two snorkel stops? That sounds high to me -- on a trip price of $35, $5 sounds enough? I don't want to be "cheap" either but I also don't want to run out of $$!!

#114566 - 01/10/06 12:32 PM Re: Tipping customs
Dan Carey Offline
at Customs it isn't called a tip, it's called a bribe. Oh, you mean customary tipping, don't you. My mistake. I ususlly tip generously in countries where the going wage is very low. For example, if a dive day costs me $45, I'll tip 20% and round up to the next dollar. That's $10, isn't it? If I'm diving for an extended period of time I'll tip 10%+ per day and then give another 10%+ on the total bill on the last day. That way the crew has some money every day as well as a bigger payday at the end.

In Belize they'll be grateful for the tip. They don't consider it rude, but they'd be grateful even if they did.

"Facts are the enemy of Truth"
Don Quixote

#114567 - 01/10/06 12:56 PM Re: Tipping customs
casa de amor Offline
i have never seen anyone tip the taxi drivers, they gennerally have a base price for the length that they go, (and if you stop to shop for grocceries or other they charge for that to), they will sometimes charge hurricane prices though, and does anyone know if they raise there prices in high season?, but a tip couldn't hurt

#114568 - 01/10/06 01:23 PM Re: Tipping customs
Razorfish Offline
I think that this is an interesting topic. I never know how much to tip. I probably tip some too much when they dont deserve anything and others not enough or nothing when they should have gotten a tip. That's part of the mystery of travel. I rationalize that it all balances out.
For 2 people scuba diving I tip the DM $5US and the assistant $5US a day. Call me cheap. Everyone else I tip the same as at home, 15% to 20% at restaurants, $2 a day housekeeping. etc.
My one suggestion is to check restaurant bills for the gratuity to already have been added. Someone posted that they had experienced this practice at a particular SP restaurant.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 17 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,631 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,679 Topics
461,170 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.