Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#114875 - 01/12/06 05:10 AM Advice for a Newbie
tubafor Offline
Very nice board you all have here and thanks in advance for the replies. My girlfriend and I are making our first trip in May and narrowing our resort search to the Palms and Xanadu. Any references here? Some think it's safe to book on arrival as opposed to invitations, is that risky?
We're also curious if anyone knows websites of local tours for snorkeling, cave tubing, etc. to get an idea of prices. Thanks everyone!

#114876 - 01/12/06 05:31 AM Re: Advice for a Newbie
reaper Offline
There is a tour section on the home page. The palms and Xanadu are both nice. I would stay at the Palms. Great location and wonderful rooms. have a great trip!

#114877 - 01/12/06 02:04 PM Re: Advice for a Newbie
Denny Shane Offline
When are you arriving? If during High or Peak season I would never, ever go and THEN try to book something. The summer months would be the olnly time I'd risk it. eek

As for websites for local tours, etc. Everything you'll ever need is right here on this board. Take your time, look around and explore. You'll be amazed at what all is here.

#114878 - 01/12/06 02:11 PM Re: Advice for a Newbie
snorkelgirl Offline
Snorkeling with Alphonso Graniel "Lil Alphonse" is a blast!! He has a website, but you can book with him once you arrive, check with your hotel desk or tour folks.

#114879 - 01/12/06 07:41 PM Re: Advice for a Newbie
Kristykins Offline
The palms loooks VERY nice. I walked past it & was very impressed. I'd like to stay there sometime.

#114880 - 01/12/06 07:52 PM Re: Advice for a Newbie
Gela Offline
I have enjoyed staying at Xanadu the last several trips. They have free use of bicycles and kayaks which are great for getting around. They have wifi available if you are so inclined to bring a laptop (me - not!). They have in room safes and the pool is very nice. Like all the establishments on AC, the staff is great.

I agree with Alphonso Graniel for an outstanding snorkel experience - and I am a fan of Tulu also.

Things do get booked in advance, so I would agree to reserve your room ahead.

#114881 - 01/13/06 04:32 AM Re: Advice for a Newbie
tubafor Offline
Thanks for the feedback! We both laughed when we saw the "laptop" thing. My laptop is staying on ice while I sizzle. If I hear a cell phone or the
clicking of a laptop it may threaten to bring me back to reality, and Belize is meant to remove from all that. Well I think we'll book a few nights in Xanadu and the rest at the Palms. Sounds like a win-win. Is there plenty of marine activity to see snorkeling on your own or is it necessary to have a guide all the time?

#114882 - 01/13/06 05:56 AM Re: Advice for a Newbie
lacysbeach Offline
I think the Palms is nice! You could look around and find a home to rent or a condo, there is such a thing in SP if you look!(Cayemanagement.com) lots of places that are awesome!!

#114883 - 01/16/06 08:52 PM Re: Advice for a Newbie
Gordon Schumway Offline
Can't say enough good things about the Palms. I was a newbie too, and they looked out for me. Santiago the security guy always made me feel safe and Lena and Anna in the office were great. The view from my oceanfront hammock there is my desktop image now and I love it........

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 42 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,676 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,079 Topics
462,375 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.