Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#114905 01/12/06 11:36 AM
X
Xoe Offline OP
OP Offline
X
We leave for A.C. a week from tomorrow.

Question: how often does checked-through luggage not get to BZE when you do? I read on this board about people whose bags arrive 5 days later than they do.

If this is a likelihood, I'll pack a bigger carry-on & a smaller check-through bag to be certain to have snorkel equipment and day-trip clothing to enjoy my time there (7 days) if checked luggage is delayed.

Can anyone offer advice on how often this happens? And if your bags aren't there when you get there, how does your luggage get from BZE to your lodging on Ambergris Caye when they do arrive?

Thanks.

#114906 01/12/06 12:01 PM
I would like to know also. What Airline are you flying on Xoe? You would think that where ever you go through customes and the Airline would be responsible to make sure its on the flight.

We are also from Wash State, Camano Island to be exact. We are leaving Sea Tac on the 17th and going through Houston. We are flying on Contintnetal.

#114907 01/12/06 12:10 PM
X
Xoe Offline OP
OP Offline
X
Hey, Red Penny, we are fellow Island County citizens -- we live on South Whidbey, just above Useless Bay.

We're coming in on American. Airlines are responsible (we hope), but mistakes happen, especially when connection times are tight. Ours aren't bad IF our flight leaves SeaTac on time.

So, now we wait for answers to this question! Let's hope it's a rarity and that usually bags and their owners arrive together.

#114908 01/12/06 12:31 PM
M
M
i always carry-on items that i cannot live without and a change of clothes, just in case.
you just never know, since it's really not WHERE it will happen, but WHEN.

#114909 01/12/06 12:55 PM
L
L
I have been to Belize 3 times. I have flown American, Continental/TACA, and just Continental all the way.

When I flew Continental/TACA, TACA "lost" our luggage. (Not to mention over booked the flight and we almost didn't even get on the plane). I think this happened because we had a four hour layover and it got stuck in the "front" of the plane and Belize was a stop on the way to Costa Rica. So when we landed in Belize they just didn't find the luggage.

The Mayan Princess (where we were staying) was invaluable in helping us get our luggage. They kept calling the airport ect and kept us informed. We arrived on a Saturday and our luggage arrived on Monday. TACA sent the luggage over to the Island by Tropic Air and the Mayan Princess had a taxi pick it up for us. Other than being in the same clothes that we bought the first day, we didn't miss a beat of our vacation.

The other two times we did not have a problem. Not even when we flew Continental all the way and only had a 35 min layover.

#114910 01/12/06 02:20 PM
G
G
In the 14 times I came down here on vacay, (from MN most of the time which meant connection); never had a problem with luggage (via American and Continental). However, if your luggage doesn't make the Belize flight, the carrier will put in on the next flight down--in other words when you arrive in Belize, you just have to let them know you don't have your luggage. Normally it will come over on whatever (Tropic or Maya) you use to fly to the island and they see that it gets to your hotel. Don't ask me HOW that happens, had several friends that had their luggage get delayed. Which brings us to the point...bring yer toothbrush, etc., a swimsuit, change of WARM weather clothes in your carryon just in case. Ya don't want to be spending your precious vacay time having to go shopping for that stuff right away! And don't worry about your luggage!

#114911 01/12/06 02:36 PM
X
Xoe Offline OP
OP Offline
X
Thanks -- that's reassuring! Toothbrush & swimsuit and change of clothing -- easy; snorkel mask should fit okay too. Fins and sun hat and big sun-protection T's to wear snorkeling and suitable shoes for the Mayan ruins & a few favorite food items begin to sound like a challenge though.

Any other reports from anyone? Thanks!

#114912 01/12/06 03:12 PM
Absolutely check it all the way through. As hot rod mentioned, it was when the flight did not END in Belize that there was trouble. I came down here 8 times before I moved here and have gone back twice since then. My preference is American although my daughter loves Continental. Neither of us has ever had our luggage misplaced.
One time my dive buddy and I opted to get paid to get bumped off of the DFW to BZE leg of the trip. They sent us to Miami - 1st class, put us up in a nice hotel with meals, room service, etc and then to BZE the next morning - 1st class. Only caveat - our luggage did not get forwarded with us and came in later in the afternoon. No problemo - we knew to carry on what we had to have.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
#114913 01/12/06 03:22 PM
I use a baseball sports bag as a carry on, cuz it's very long...it is great for fins, snorkel and mask, a change of clothing, personal items.

#114914 01/12/06 04:01 PM
S
spl Offline
S
never had a problem either in the past 5 yrs.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 277 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.