Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#114934 - 01/12/06 11:53 AM Cell Phones
Red Penny Offline
I would like to know about Cell Phone Service. Since I cant seem to get an intelligent answer from our Cell provider, Cingular ( geee, big surprise there) have any of you been able to get service? and if so, what do we need to do to dial out? Normaly, I would not be concerned and not bring it, but we are leaving a child and my very ill Father and need some sort of line to them should something happen.

#114935 - 01/12/06 12:02 PM Re: Cell Phones
I have Cingular and was suprised to hear my phone ring when we were there in September - so apparantly there is service. (There was not the year before.) Can't get your voice mail and my secretary said she was unable to leave a voice mail. I called home once - can't remember if I had to dial a country code but i don't think so. Also never got around to checking the bill for these calls specifically so don't know how pricey it was - have heard others on this board say it's expensive.

#114936 - 01/12/06 12:18 PM Re: Cell Phones
clover Offline
$4 a minute to call from San Pedro to California...if you've signed up for international roaming....around $8 a minute if you don't...I learned the hard way!.....to call back to the States you have to use the country code 001 then area code and number..Since Cingular uses the same chip as Belize be very careful with your phone....I've had 2 disappear over the last few visits to AC. One was in my stowed baggage when I left Belize City back to the states....me thinks the customs inspector might have worked a deal. Keep your phone with you if you want to keep it!

#114937 - 01/12/06 12:49 PM Re: Cell Phones
Sir Isaac Newton Offline
...or perhaps a baggage handler in the US? :rolleyes:
Check out my site: www.ambergriscayerealestate.net

#114938 - 01/12/06 12:52 PM Re: Cell Phones
Sir Isaac Newton Offline
Bring a tri or quadband phone down with. You can get a Belize DigiCell chip and unlock your phone (remains unlocked - use worldwide) for $US55, comes with a $US5 phone card. Receiving calls are free to you when in Belize and calls to the US are much more affordable.

C's Cell Phones and CD's - codemasterbz@hotmail.com

#114939 - 01/12/06 01:11 PM Re: Cell Phones
catdog Offline
Just one question..I go to a store(here in the US) and ask for a tri or quadband phone to buy? Then, in Belize I can buy the DigiCell chip and get it unlocked (at BTL at the airport?) I want to have a cell this trip since I'll be picking up a car at the airport doing some solo driving around on the mainland.
I know, Cell Phones 101 for dummies here... :rolleyes:
Thanks for the info

#114940 - 01/12/06 02:14 PM Re: Cell Phones
Phil Offline
Another option is to rent a cell phone while here. Budget Car Rentals rent cell phones as does C's Phones here on the Caye. Around $10 per day plus phone card

#114941 - 01/12/06 02:19 PM Re: Cell Phones
Wyoming Carla Offline
I actually found that going to the Coconut Internet place and have THEM place the call for you is the cheapest way to go....and dependable as long as internet service isn't interrupted on the island! (and that does happen) Good ole BTL

#114942 - 01/12/06 02:46 PM Re: Cell Phones
Sir Isaac Newton Offline
$1US per minute at the cafe is affordable but not the cheapest. USA Connect is .30 per minute using a prepaid or pay phone.

BTL at the airport will not unlock your phone.

Tenchtronics in Belize City or C's in San Pedro can unlock it for you.

I would advise having a cell phone with you during your journeys.

#114943 - 01/12/06 03:02 PM Re: Cell Phones
Razorfish Offline
My 2 cents would be to call your cellular provider before leaving for your vacation. They can probably set you up much more cheaply than what it will cost you in Belize.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 43 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,633 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,706 Topics
461,226 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.