Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#115268 - 01/14/06 06:11 AM short trip report (or trip notes)
funstuff Offline
We just got home from my first trip. 6 days in paradise and not long enough!!

Breif trip report. Unfortunately not a good writer. I am not so detailed as many reports though I would like to share my experiences on diving, snorkeling, a day trip and dinners, and people of AC in hopes just one person could at least find it useful.

Wed, Jan 4:
Arrived early on Continental very happy with everything. Bags sitting there for us after going through customs.
Kind people at the airport the minute we arrived. We stayed at Mayan Princess. Beautiful rooms, wonderful views.
Wonderful staff. Walked around town, ate at Calientes and were delighted with the large selection and terrific meals. Called it a night early after walking the beach.

Thur, Jan 5:

Trip to Lamanai ruins. Fasinating. Highly recommend it, we found it interesting and fun.
Ate that night at The Reef Rest. We found this to be the best of all dinners we had. Huge
selection on menu, each meal available perpared 8-9 ways. Coconut sauce, blackened, tropical, carib, mexican, fried, stewed, and many more.

Fri, Jan 6:

Dove with Amigos. Very impressed. Been diving since '93. Definately Amigos and a company we went with in Turks go far beyond an average dive shop. Great service and shop and very kind staff. Ate at Elvi's, YUM!! Excellent Mayan Buffet and our other meals were terrific too.

Sat, Jan 7:

Dove again. Then Parasailed. Were tired by the end of the day. Ate at Caramba's. Food was ok,
not bad not great. Were more disappointed by the service, found them to be more rush-rush to get us in and out and not as friendly as the other places we went.

Sun, Jan 8:

Dove again. Can't get good diving (or nice dive guides) where we live so had to dive as much as possible! Rented golf cart after and drove north. Bumpy roads but fun. Beautiful homes and resorts up there. Ate at Reef again for dinner. Just couldn't walk past that place again without stopping!

Mon, Jan 9:

Snorkeling at Hole Chan and Shark Ray alley. It was incredible. Numerous sharks and rays, recommend for all ages! Ate at Blue Water Grill that night, and it was delicious. One meal did not match description but my meal and the rest of ours was excellent! Pricey, but you'd pay that price in the states for a place like that too so not big deal.

Tue, Jan 10:
Morning walk all the way to Victoria. Beautiful beach and just terrific place all together. Walked back and had to try the Reef for lunch, it was our last day. Lobster burritos for $12 Belize! We should have eaten there for lunch more! Headed to Maya to return to home.

Were sad to go so quick and sad to leave such a peaceful place with such peaceful and kind people. The locals were all very good people and were impressed with the overall nature of people there. So much more relaxed than where many of us come from. I appreciate this and many taught us valuable lessons in life there without knowing it. You can learn a lot from them about life and happiness. Great people.

p.s. a few pics to follow this week.

#115269 - 01/14/06 06:16 AM Re: short trip report (or trip notes)
Gela Offline
funstuff - I think you captured the feeling laugh

#115270 - 01/14/06 06:51 AM Re: short trip report (or trip notes)
sherlockdog Offline
your report was great, give yourself credit. You had a wonderful time and hope you do make it back to do more. Thanks for sharing.

#115271 - 01/14/06 07:01 AM Re: short trip report (or trip notes)
Anonymous
funstuff - thanks for sharing - there's nothing like the joy of a first trip
course there's nothing like the joy of a second trip - planning yet? wink

#115272 - 01/14/06 07:15 AM Re: short trip report (or trip notes)
Gela Offline
or the 8th trip - which I've just repositioned to November laugh

#115273 - 01/14/06 07:19 AM Re: short trip report (or trip notes)
fuzzy_navel Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by funstuff:
...many taught us valuable lessons in life there without knowing it.
I know exactly what you mean. Glad you had a great time. Thanks for sharing. I'm looking forward to the pictures.

#115274 - 01/14/06 07:24 AM Re: short trip report (or trip notes)
Chloe Offline
Funstuff, good to read your trip report.

#115275 - 01/14/06 11:39 AM Re: short trip report (or trip notes)
snorkelgirl Offline
Funstuff,
Enjoyed your report, looking forward to photos : )

Did you use Daniel Ninez &Tanista Tours I think?) for Lamanai?

#115276 - 01/14/06 02:33 PM Re: short trip report (or trip notes)
windyw Offline
Good trip report!! Thanks!! We leave to go back in 14 days and we are excited. San Pedro is a one of a kind place and the people make the difference. Glad you had such a good time. You will have good times no matter how often you go back. cool cool cool

#115277 - 01/14/06 04:07 PM Re: short trip report (or trip notes)
Razorfish Offline
Great report. Very well written. Glad to hear you had a good time. Sorry to hear about your Carumba's experience. I agree with you about the food. Good but not good enough to make us want to go back over all the other choices on the island. However, we had very good service there, as I recall, and my wife has a pet peeve about staff clearing dishes away before you've finished.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (Spork, 1 invisible), 28 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,676 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,064 Topics
462,323 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.