Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
OP Offline
B
Ok, a bit tongue in cheek, but I wanted to mention something I noticed, and to see if it was just random, or there was some method behind it.

On my previous trips, I'd always been hit upon by a few people (weed, money, etc.). My last trip, in April '05 (a short two-day visit), was the worst: the first time I'd had someone just outright ask for $$$, and trouble at a couple of restaurants with people bothering us.

I was curious to how my trip last week (six days) would turn out in this one aspect, and it was great. I know the timeshare guys had a meeting about this issue, but I felt like this time, in general, there were just fewer incidents of being approached by people trying to ask something from me. Has the town made some sort of concerted effort, or was I just lucky (assume, for the sake of argument, I didn't look poorer or less friendly than on previous occasions)? I'm curious what the locals and recent other visitors think.

where did you stay! I think that is so strange. It reminds me of the drug story with that father-in-law who went to jail. My parents were here 8 days, clearly tourists, and out alone and never once asked for money or about drugs. I think it is the luck of the draw. Funny thing is I traveled here as a tourist in my 20's 6 times and never, ever once was offered drugs. I only once was offered drugs on the street when a friend was in town and we were in the street.

B
OP Offline
B
That's my point. Nothing happened here at all this time. Nothing much ever happens, but usually once or so.

gotcha, yeah. I just think it is the luck of the draw...it happens to some, and others it doesn't. Still surprised as a tourist 6 times never once to me.

S
S
Yes...haven't you heard? All the panhandlers, thieves and drug dealers have been deported...Sounds like Chamber of Commerce talk to me.

F
F
I brought my 15 year old son to San Pedro 10 years ago and he told me (many years later) that he was approached to buy drugs. At that time I had never been approached. Since then, I have been approached a time or two but not often and it wasn't a big deal when I just said "no thanks".

C
C
i have been approaced several times to buy, and my parents have also been approached. never bought

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
What is it that you don't understand about the word "NO"---Is it the "N" or the "O"---- and if you continue to follow me do you know the word POLICE???

C
C
It really upsets me when my wife gets approached to buy "herb".....but they never ask me...what's up with that? we don't smoke but it hurts my feelings...I'm a child of the 60's!

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
This hit for drugs or anything, really is true of most beach destinations thru-out the world--don't pin-point AC. and criticize unless you've been there. Belize is a baby basket--!!!!!!

Herb who???

C
C
You know "herb"....jeez deac...you live in California forchristssake!

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Herbie-the luv bug??

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Mr. Clover and Mrs. Herb

I think we're onto something-- a garden at LEAST!!!

Clover, do you really think I don't know Herb and his wife MaryJane, not to mention all their friends.

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Clover, why is your wife being approached to buy "Herb"??? Are you not for sale??

Originally posted by deacon1369:
Clover, do you really think I don't know Herb and his wife MaryJane, not to mention all their friends.
If you live in San Diego, you must be well aquainted with the family wink

We got offered many times while we were there last month, but we just blew them off. At times they were a little annoying. "I can get you ANYTHING you need man...and I mean ANYTHING."

Heard a lot of that. But overall, no big deal. smile

"If you find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere"
I honestly think it has to do with how you look. If you look like a stuffy conservative type person, they really won't bother. They can tell who the people are that they'd have a chance of selling to are.

If you look like you might be into that stuff, they're all over you like white on rice.

RMT Offline
Kristykins,
Have to disagree with ya' on this one. I am a 40 something woman who has traveled there with my husband and little boy. Every time we were there we were approached. I found it kind of funny because neither one of us look like we would be into that. lol That said, they would ask and then after a few days they would recognize you and not bother. I think the last time I looked like I might have fallen into that "category" was 1978......lol Rhonda laugh

hmmm if it is true I take that as a compliment since I was never approached as a tourist or since living here on the streets.

Hmm. I may be wrong then. Interesting who they pick to ask, and who they choose to stay away from.

My experience is that in some places you have a greater probability of being approached than others. I would say that it occurs a lot less on AC than other places I have visited in the Caribbean. To anybody reading this board I would advise you to live within the law of a foreign country. Busts happen and the penalties are a lot worse than they are at home. You will blow your vacation in a way that will not be pleasant.
Personaly I think your odds of getting asked about purchasing "herb" change depending on if you look like you're from the US or Canada. wink

K
K
What do Canadians look like?

RMT Offline
Whaaaat? I am Canadian born, automatic US citizen due to my father being in the service stationed in Canada at the time. SO...will that confuse em' even more?? wink ;

We were asked several times also while we were there last March, but when we said no they just walked away, no big deal. As others have said, this happens in most carribean island that we have visited also. cool

I'm crushed! All I ever got offered was a 13yr old hooker (by her 15 yr old pimp brother) mad

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
Originally posted by Kra-Z-K:
I only once was offered drugs on the street when a friend was in town and we were in the street.
...that was funny! You didn't even hear what he said, and when I told you, I had to explain what "grass" was! Way too funny!

laugh laugh laugh

KWIBMF...pasty white skin, mostly...Tim Horton's donut glaze in the corner of their mouth..."Blue" belly (known in the states as a Budweiser Blister)...wearing an old "Leafs" hat with John Deere tractor oil on it... a red maple leaf patch on their luggage...colored money with dead queens and hockey players on it...EH! laugh

Reaper, you can be worped but very funny

G
G
I have lived here for 3 yrs. but have been visiting since the early 90's,my son is approached every time he comes here,he used to have long dready looking hair and has been approached to the point of someone actually putting weed in his pocket{probably undercover stings)I'm always approached(probably because I have tattoos)No big deal,Just say No Thanks.

K
K
Can someone help me figure out what a Botfly larvae infestion looks like? I think I have one in my finger.

If it's different than the others you got it

K
K
Deacon, I'm confused. If it's different than the other what?

no, i misheard him. I thought he asked me if I wanted a "glass" cause he had something to drink in a long cup. lol. I thought he was offering me alcohol!

Ok, this is just getting W E I R D

K
K
Can anyone help me identify this swelling in my finger. I was in the jungle, Cayo District, and was bitten by what I think was a spider while hiking. The swelling went away after a couple of days but returned a few days ago, about day 10, larger than the original bite and it's a little dark in the center. Is it botfly?

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
You need to go to the doctor asap and quit asking the board what it is since no MD's that I know of participate here. Don't take a chance eventhough it may be no big deal.

kiayascruffy....use the SEARCH at the top, enter
Botfly........you will find alot of info., 19 threads.

Dare To Deviate
I'm Sorry, is it different from your other bites

K
K
Wow fly-boy, attitude! I've already been to the doctor and they were a little dumbfounded. Thanks for the so very obscure advice that I never would've thought to do on my own. I just thought that perhaps someone with several trips to Belize may have had an encounter and could offer some first hand experience. But you know fly-boy, I appreciate your genius! Thanks, Chloe - and Deacon, I didn't have any other bites.

Kiaya, I was not being rude, just wanted to point you to some quick info on botfly, that I knew was on this board sometime ago.

Hope you get some relief soon.

Dare To Deviate
S
spl Offline
S
Chloe, she wasn't talking to you - she thanked you. Duh.

K
K
Deacon, I spent half of my time in the jungle and the other half on San Pedro. I didn't find many bugs in the jungle and of course, none of on San Pedro. I had two mosquito bites in the jungle but didn't even have the allergic reaction (crazy swelling) that I usually have. I guess jungle mosquitoes are different from city mosquitoes, lol.

spl..thanks.

Many times when we post....use the search...it reads cold and uncaring.

Dare To Deviate
K
K
No Chloe, I was thanking you. Your direction was very helpful, thanks again. I'm going to check out the botfly boards right after dinner. I think it's probably safer to check it out after dinner just in case there are pics or vivid descriptions. Thanks for the well wishes.

Good idea.

Dare To Deviate
S
spl Offline
S
gotcha Chloe wink

Try this.

//ambergriscaye.com/pages/town/botfly.html

Dare To Deviate
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
God give me strength...... :rolleyes:

What's the deal fly? She said she's been to the doctor.

D
D
Sounds like beef worm to me. I've had Botless flies before, nasty rash and bumps, but no later infection. Beef worm will come back and need to be squeezed out the hard way in the bush. I've heard that the Guanacaste bark..boiled and applied to the infected area makes it easier to squeeze them out.

Kiayascruffy, I'm really sorry about your condition!! But, you have a really great outlook and a funny way with words!!

LOL!!! I N S A N I T Y !!!!!Did anyone see the ER episode with the lady with WORMS in her limbs? (uck!hope not!!)

K
K
Is worped the Canadian spelling of warped? Like check/cheque?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 284 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.