Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#116063 - 01/24/06 09:46 PM Things sure aren't how they used to be....
belizelaw Offline
Ok, a bit tongue in cheek, but I wanted to mention something I noticed, and to see if it was just random, or there was some method behind it.

On my previous trips, I'd always been hit upon by a few people (weed, money, etc.). My last trip, in April '05 (a short two-day visit), was the worst: the first time I'd had someone just outright ask for $$$, and trouble at a couple of restaurants with people bothering us.

I was curious to how my trip last week (six days) would turn out in this one aspect, and it was great. I know the timeshare guys had a meeting about this issue, but I felt like this time, in general, there were just fewer incidents of being approached by people trying to ask something from me. Has the town made some sort of concerted effort, or was I just lucky (assume, for the sake of argument, I didn't look poorer or less friendly than on previous occasions)? I'm curious what the locals and recent other visitors think.

#116064 - 01/24/06 10:44 PM Re: Things sure aren't how they used to be....
Kra-Z-K Offline
where did you stay! I think that is so strange. It reminds me of the drug story with that father-in-law who went to jail. My parents were here 8 days, clearly tourists, and out alone and never once asked for money or about drugs. I think it is the luck of the draw. Funny thing is I traveled here as a tourist in my 20's 6 times and never, ever once was offered drugs. I only once was offered drugs on the street when a friend was in town and we were in the street.

#116065 - 01/25/06 12:02 AM Re: Things sure aren't how they used to be....
belizelaw Offline
That's my point. Nothing happened here at all this time. Nothing much ever happens, but usually once or so.

#116066 - 01/25/06 12:16 AM Re: Things sure aren't how they used to be....
Kra-Z-K Offline
gotcha, yeah. I just think it is the luck of the draw...it happens to some, and others it doesn't. Still surprised as a tourist 6 times never once to me.

#116067 - 01/25/06 02:02 AM Re: Things sure aren't how they used to be....
streetchie Offline
Yes...haven't you heard? All the panhandlers, thieves and drug dealers have been deported...Sounds like Chamber of Commerce talk to me.

#116068 - 01/25/06 02:13 AM Re: Things sure aren't how they used to be....
Florida Gal Offline
I brought my 15 year old son to San Pedro 10 years ago and he told me (many years later) that he was approached to buy drugs. At that time I had never been approached. Since then, I have been approached a time or two but not often and it wasn't a big deal when I just said "no thanks".

#116069 - 01/25/06 03:59 AM Re: Things sure aren't how they used to be....
casa de amor Offline
i have been approaced several times to buy, and my parents have also been approached. never bought

#116070 - 01/25/06 04:07 AM Re: Things sure aren't how they used to be....
Anonymous
What is it that you don't understand about the word "NO"---Is it the "N" or the "O"---- and if you continue to follow me do you know the word POLICE???

#116071 - 01/25/06 04:17 AM Re: Things sure aren't how they used to be....
clover Offline
It really upsets me when my wife gets approached to buy "herb".....but they never ask me...what's up with that? we don't smoke but it hurts my feelings...I'm a child of the 60's!

#116072 - 01/25/06 04:22 AM Re: Things sure aren't how they used to be....
Anonymous
This hit for drugs or anything, really is true of most beach destinations thru-out the world--don't pin-point AC. and criticize unless you've been there. Belize is a baby basket--!!!!!!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (ragman), 52 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,670 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,003 Topics
462,164 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.