Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#116199 - 02/10/06 03:50 PM Belize mentioned on AARP Travel Website
Gela Offline
I was surfing today during lunch and stumbled upon this article on AARP's website on Belize. (Yes I am old enough to be a member eek )

Belize: Central American Jewel
By Joe Volz and Cissie Coy

Belize, a nation just smaller than Massachusetts, is a tiny jewel bathed by the turquoise Caribbean Sea. It boasts the largest coral reef in the Western Hemisphere, remote white sand beaches, Mayan temples towering over rainforest canopies, sandy streets in colonial towns, and an incredibly colorful array of marine and land wildlife.

What to Expect
On the eastern coast of Central America, bordering Mexico to the northwest and Guatemala to the west and south, Belize was a British colony (known as British Honduras) for more than a century until 1973. It became an independent nation in 1981. English is the official language, but Spanish, Creole and Mayan dialects are just as common if not more so.

The local climate is tropical and generally very hot and humid. The rainy season lasts from June to November. Occasional natural hazards include hurricanes and flooding, but generally Belize is a safe, friendly and exciting destination that you can make as pampered or as rough as you prefer.

Underwater visibility can reach 150 feet; water temperature hovers around 80 degrees Fahrenheit and the barrier reef makes for calm water most of the year. In many places, you can walk hundreds of feet out and the water still feels as calm, warm, and shallow as bath water.

Because of the country's small population (around 280,000) and lack of industry, much of Belize has remained virtually undisturbed. About 66 percent of the country is still forested, which means it's a wonderland for birders. The country has recorded more than 500 species of birds within its borders.

The Belize Zoo
And it doesn't end with birds. In Belize's borders lies one of the world's most fascinating and diverse species--pacas, tapirs, jaguars, coatimundis and much more.

There is no way, unfortunately to see all the bounty of animals--but a stop at the Belize Zoo is a good first step.

Located 30 miles west of Belize City, The Belize Zoo is 29 acres of tropical savanna and exhibits of native Belizean animals. Begun as a refuge for animals abandoned after a nature documentary, the zoo features only animals that were orphaned, born at the zoo, rehabilitated, or acquired as gifts from other zoos.

The Barrier Reef
Take your pick of fishing, snorkeling, kayaking, and scuba diving. Second in size only to Australia's Great Barrier Reef, Belize's Barrier Reef runs for 186 miles along the coast.

About a two-hour boatride from the reef is one of the feature attractions for divers, the Blue Hole, made famous by world-renowned diver Jacques Costeau. Located inside one of Belize's three atolls, the Lighthouse Reef, the Blue Hole is about 60 miles off the mainland out of Belize City. It is one of the most astounding dive sites to be found anywhere on earth.

Right in the center of the reef is a large, almost perfectly circular, hole approximately one-quarter of a mile across. Inside this hole, the water is 480 feet deep and it is the depth that gives the deep blue color. It's like a giant pupil in a turquoise sea. Diving the Blue Hole is not for beginners, although anyone can complete a shallow dive.

The Cayes
Whether you're looking for water sports and beach bars to dance the night away, or just some sunny relaxation, Belize's cayes (pronounced "keys") have it.

At 25 miles long, Ambergris is the largest caye, with the charming Mestizo town of San Pedro as its "hub." Here you'll find friendly locals, island dogs trotting down sand streets and plenty of delicious cafes to enjoy rice and beans and a Belikin beer.

A quieter haunt is the fishing village of Caye Caulker, where bare feet are not just welcome but expected, and life slows to "Belize Time."

The Jaguar Preserve
In southern Belize, The Cockscomb Basin Wildlife Sanctuary, also known as "The Jaguar Preserve," was originally established in 1984 as a reserve to protect a large jaguar population. Wildlife is elusive, but bird and animal watchers are well rewarded. The sanctuary encompasses some 100,000 acres of tropical moist forest that rises from 300 feet above sea level to approximately 3,675 feet at the summit of Victoria Peak.

The Mayans
The Maya civilization spread over Belize between 1500 BC and AD 300 and flourished until about AD 900. Altun Ha, the most extensively excavated Mayan ruin in Belize, was a major ceremonial center, consisting of two main plazas with 13 temples and residential structures. Caracol, in the Cayo District, is the largest Belizean Mayan site, but less excavated. Howler monkeys and toucans fill the broadleaf jungle surrounding the temples.

There are also day tours from Belize to Tikal in Peten, Guatemala. It is the largest Mayan site of all.

You are advised not to explore caves on your own. Many are closed to public exploration because they have archaeological significance and some are subject to sudden flooding. Fortunately, a number are safe.

We chose Actun Tunichil Muknal, and it was "challenging," as advertised. To reach the cave, we hiked 45 minutes, fording three streams and passing through the 6,700 Tapir Mountain Nature Reserve.

Discovered in 1989, this Mayan burial cave has not been looted.It was mind boggling to find cultural artifacts literally underfoot along with calcified skeletons. If you are up to a challenging hike, this is well worth the effort.

Getting There
It's possible to get to Belize by road (1,350 miles through Mexico and a sturdy car and strong heart are recommended) or by boat, but most tourists opt to fly in (US Airways, Continental and American have daily flights via Houston or Miami). With the exception of cruise ship passengers, all visitors must present a valid passport before entering the country.
Gela's AC Motto: "All Roads Used to Lead to BC's" frown

#116200 - 02/10/06 05:45 PM Re: Belize mentioned on AARP Travel Website
klcman Offline
surfing at luch time huh? laugh

hear that one all the time from my staff :p
_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman

#116201 - 02/10/06 06:21 PM Re: Belize mentioned on AARP Travel Website
phillytodd Offline
great... more old people.. it already looks like florida and costa rica here.

When the hell are swedish flight attendants going to find SP?

ps ( no offense to the old folks.. I'll be there myself in 50 years. )

#116202 - 02/10/06 06:42 PM Re: Belize mentioned on AARP Travel Website
spl Offline
laughing, laughing, laughing! no offense even to the old ones who are so bitter and mean!

#116203 - 02/10/06 06:54 PM Re: Belize mentioned on AARP Travel Website
ArtZ SmartZ Offline
So phillytodd, what are you 10? No booze for you for another eleven years! AARP is for 50 and older. And 50 is the new 40.
ArtZ SmartZ

#116204 - 02/10/06 06:55 PM Re: Belize mentioned on AARP Travel Website
Bobber Offline
Age is relative. If all your relatives are old, you probably are too.
Been there, done that, the washing machine ate the T-shirt

#116205 - 02/10/06 07:30 PM Re: Belize mentioned on AARP Travel Website
Marty Offline

February 10, 2006
Solitaire Game Gets NYC Worker Fired

Filed at 11:05 a.m. ET

NEW YORK (AP) -- Mayor Michael Bloomberg isn't playing games -- after he saw a game of solitaire on a city employee's computer screen, he fired him.

The Republican mayor stopped by the city's legislative office in Albany a few weeks ago when he was visiting the state Capitol to hear the governor's State of the State address.

Office assistant Edward Greenwood IX was going over some papers at his desk as Bloomberg made the rounds with his photographer, greeting workers and posing for pictures. When the mayor reached him, Greenwood stood, they shook hands and the photographer snapped a photo.

But the eagle-eyed mayor -- a billionaire former businessman with a certain idea of how offices should be run -- noticed Greenwood's game of solitaire glowing on his screen. He said nothing about it to Greenwood but later told an aide to give him the ax.

The story was reported by the New York Post on Thursday, and Bloomberg defended his no-tolerance decision.

''The workplace is not an appropriate place for games,'' Bloomberg said. ''It's a place where you've got to do the job that you're getting paid for.''

Greenwood, who earned $27,000 a year and had worked in the office for six years, said in a telephone interview that he limited his play time to his one-hour lunch or during quick breaks when he needed a moment of distraction.

''It wasn't like I spent hours and hours a day playing, because I had plenty to do,'' Greenwood said. ''If I had been working at something exhaustively for two hours, I might get a cup of coffee and play for a minute but then go right back to my work.''

The mayor's office said its records show that in 2004 Greenwood reviewed the policy that prohibits ''inappropriate'' use of city computers.

Greenwood said he doesn't recall doing so but probably did. He suggested that other workers in the office play solitaire and similarly stretch the rules.

''It's not like I'm the only one that ever did this,'' said the 39-year-old father of a toddler.

Greenwood said he wasn't angry with the mayor but wished he had been warned or reprimanded for what he called a first offense.

''I admire the guy -- he's a great financial success, and he has a definite management style,'' Greenwood said. ''I just think he could have seen my situation and weighed the harshness of his final decision.''

Bloomberg, who left his financial information company for politics in 2001, managed Bloomberg LP with a style that has become his signature. He created an office setup, which he repeated at City Hall, where everyone sits together in an open-air environment -- an arrangement that facilitates communication and eliminates fooling around.

''I expect all city workers, including myself, to work hard,'' the mayor said. ''There's nothing wrong with taking a break, but during the business day, at your desk, that's not appropriate behavior.''

#116206 - 02/11/06 08:12 PM Re: Belize mentioned on AARP Travel Website
Gela Offline
Oh, did I say I was surfing @ work? Oh, I meant, mmm, well, I was home at lunch... oh, yeah, and while waiting for my ebay delivery, I powered up my IBM and was dreaming about Belize and had just gotten a cool magnet that reminded me about travel through their website (I have the magnet on my fridge to proove it laugh ).

Peace out. laugh
Gela's AC Motto: "All Roads Used to Lead to BC's" frown

#116207 - 02/11/06 08:27 PM Re: Belize mentioned on AARP Travel Website
klcman Offline
Nice try.... laugh
_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman

#116208 - 02/12/06 08:22 AM Re: Belize mentioned on AARP Travel Website
phillytodd Offline
50 is the new 40? so does that make 40 the new 30?

I"m hoping so because 30 felt like 60.

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (brewdr), 68 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,638 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,739 Topics
461,315 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.