Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#117399 - 02/08/06 12:59 PM Trip Report
Red Penny Offline
Every winter, we take a trip south, usually to a new place in Mexico. I did some research and chose Belize this year. We were in Belize from the 18th to the 29th. It rained everyday, but one. Yes, we were so dissapointed but we made the best of it and did some exploring and "interviewing" the locals.
We stayed 8 days in Ambergris and the rest in Belize City. While in Ambergris we stayed at the Belize Yaght Club. It was a great choice to stay, the people were awsome and we made quick friends. We rented a Captain and his boat, went reef fishing and took a tour around the Island. We rented a Golf Cart one day in the rain and explored the North end...of course we stopped at EVERY bar up and back. We spent alot of time stopping and talking to the locals.
The next leg of the trip we went to Belize City. We rented a Car and drove to Placencia (excuse my spelling. We stopped and spoke to the locals once again on that trip and checked out the Bars and resorts in Placencia. We also took a tour of the ruins and had a great time with our guide. We quized him on EVERYTING, from the history to politics of his Country. It was a balst.
What we came away with......
Let me say right off the top, the people of Belize are the most wonderful and kind folks the we have met on any of our trips. And they are nice looking people too. It may have rained, but we will go back because of the people.
I dont think the Gov of Belize knows what a treasure it has in its people. I think they treat thier people poorly. They are an asset.
The amount of trash is unexceptable and unnessary. I realize the people cant not afford Trash service when they are worried about food. The Gov needs to do something if they want tourest. After being all over in Mexico and now Belize, I NEVER want to hear about American Pollution. Those two countries pump more raw sewage and dump more trash in the Pacific and the Caribbian than any damage we have done. Shame on the Gov of those two contries. Its discusting when you do a tour.
Politics, we they sure have it figured out. Raise taxes, get rid of jobs, more unemployed, more crime. The taxes are out of the realm of realaity for the people. We saw some pretty nice homes of Gov Officals and alot of poverty of the working folks. Unpaved roads, pot holes, yet outrages Taxes on gas. They are being robbed. The US gives aid to Belize, pisses me off! I am sure the people never see it. Everyone we talked to knows the US gives money and wanted to let us know that they dont see it. We have a Military Base there and of course the Brits do also.
All in all? We will go back, we love the people. We thought about getting a place there, so we could get involved and do some volenteer work, Political Volenteer work of change.

#117400 - 02/08/06 01:06 PM Re: Trip Report
Now Danny Offline
Thanks for the report and your candid views. Now where are the pics?

#117401 - 02/08/06 01:08 PM Re: Trip Report
Red Penny Offline
Yes, I will post some pics. Most of which shows us soaking wet from the rain.....and oh so drunk.

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (ftimmy), 62 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,636 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,726 Topics
461,277 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.