Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#11755 - 10/10/01 01:11 AM Placencia update
Tamra Offline
Just spoke with Wende Bryan of the Pickled Parrot/Barracuda and Jaguar Inn. Unbelievably her building is still standing. Part of the roof is gone, but it is still there. The Westwind is also standing. Cozy's, Sonny's Resort, Omar's and many others are gone. There is 1 Cabana standing at Tradewinds and Ms. Janice has part of a house left. By the way, Miss J. was last seen sitting on her porch eating watermelon and guarding her house! There is apparently alot of looting going on. By tomorrow am they will be able to access what they need in the way of supplies, but a few items mentioned were chain saws (to cut up blown over trees and limbs with) generators, 2 way radios to use around the village, tents, sleeping bags, lanterns. I imagine there will be alot more needs tomorrow. There is a 6 pm curfew in the village, I guess because of the looting. Wende mentioned that everyone in the immediate village of Placencia had been accounted for. Whew! Hope this helps if anyone is still trying to get info.

#11756 - 10/10/01 02:48 AM Re: Placencia update
Marty Online   happy
Awesome Tamra, thanks for letting us know. good to hear from folks that everyone is ok. great to hear. whew is right.

#11757 - 10/10/01 05:37 AM Re: Placencia update
Marty Online   happy
Food and clothing pouring into Placentia area today after road
opened this afternoon. Saw it personally.

Devastating loss of houses and personal belongings. I noted that
houses that were still standing complete with roofs were in the
main, the old ones built by forestry under the British. Useful to see
how they had attached the roofs and follow the same principles.

The bananas are a mess. citrus has been affected, and at this
stage aguess would indicate a 10% loss of this years crop. The tree
loss in the Punta Gorda area will be assesed tomorrow. If all the
shrimp farms followed one major producer and lowered the levels of
their ponds before Iris arrived, little production was lost. Damage to
packing buildings and hatcheries is visible.

I am sure that by Friday, the GOB will have an accurate picture of
the agricultural losses.

The Mennonites as usual are rallying to help. They are organizing
truck loads of food in the affected areas, and have distribution
arranged through their misionaries in the PG area. They are one of
many helping. I just happen to work through them, sure in the
knowledge that all donations go directly to the people. Many
suppliers are donating goods as well as selling at cost to help.

If one has lost faith in human nature, just come to Belize and see
how people are pulling together.

Frank Redmond

#11758 - 10/10/01 06:28 AM Re: Placencia update
rickcheri Offline
Very Cool!!!!!!!!!

#11759 - 10/10/01 12:37 PM Re: Placencia update
boanddo@peoplepc.com Offline
Thank you so much for the update on what is going onas far as anyone knows. It is so hard to be in Ny and wonder what is happening in Placencia. It is very frustrating not to have pictures or newspaper reports.

#11760 - 10/10/01 01:11 PM Re: Placencia update
karin Offline
check : http://www.channel5belize.com/hurricane_iris/welcome.html

(photos of the storm)

[This message has been edited by Marty (edited 10-10-2001).]

#11761 - 10/10/01 01:51 PM Re: Placencia update
Marty Online   happy
The hurricane named Iris is now a memory, but for thousands of Belizeans in the southern third of the country, those memories will be causing pain for a long time to come. To briefly recap, Iris made landfall around seven-thirty Monday night with the eye passing just north of Monkey River. Maximum sustained winds reached one hundred and forty-five miles per hour with higher localized gusts. These winds and accompanying storm surges laid waste to the coastal villages of Punta Negra, Monkey River, Placencia, Seine Bight and Independence, while at least a dozen inland villages, including San Pedro Columbia, San Miguel, Big Falls and San Antonio were battered to the point where in some cases not a thatch roofed home was left standing. Tonight it is estimated that upwards of eight thousand Belizeans are homeless, many of whom remain isolated without food, clothing or electricity. Others were not even that fortunate, as it is possible that as many as twenty people, including a number of tourists, may have perished when the dive boat "Wave Dancer" turned over while riding out the storm in the port of Big Creek. While the hurricane raged, the nation of Belize was glued to the radio, listening to the drama as it unfolded. Tonight we complement the excellent work of our radio colleagues by bringing you the pictures of the destruction and the tales of survivors. News 5 has two crews covering the story. Janelle Chanona and Rick Romero drove to Placencia early this morning and were joined by Jacqueline Woods and Brent Toombs who arrived by air. Janelle and Rick have just returned to the city, where Janelle joins me in the studio while Rick is running the tape machine in the control room.

(Janelle narrates twenty minutes of footage showing destruction on the Placencia Peninsula as well as aerials of Monkey River and Independence. Transcribed here are interviews only.)

Janelle Chanona
"What were you feeling when it was going on?"

Winifred Sandoval, Seine Bight Resident
"A little frightened, but I had to be strong because I had two children in the house. I had to be there for them. When the vehicle fly from beside the house, the eleven-year-old started crying, so I had to be strong for him. The gas tank, everything blow away. My daughter, her house just came like a month ago, a Mennonite house, now it's all the way to the back. My sister's house, her whole veranda gone."

Janelle Chanona
"So what happens now?"

Winifred Sandoval
"We have to start all over."

Cassie Garbutt, Placencia Resident
"I just felt like if somebody was trying to twist the house. I thought it was just this side that was damaged, but no that young lady wants to put in her diving tanks and I find that this side is damaged too. So if the wind had continued, we probably would have been gone because the house would have fallen."

Harry Arzu, NEMO, Dangriga
"People are stranded for the moment. There seems to be a water shortage, or water that could be...what we're trying to say, it that water here needs to be chlorinated or boiled if it's contaminated. Presently NEMO is doing an assessment damage evaluation. Following this evaluation, there's gonna be a lot of help coming down to this area. As a matter of fact, not only NEMO Stann Creek is helping at this time, but there is a lot of donours presently wanting to help to try to fix and rebuild Placencia and the Seine Bight area."

Glenn Eiley, Chairperson, Placencia Village Council
"When I woke up and saw the damage in Independence, I really thought that was bad. It was when I landed here about 8:00 this morning and really start to look around, I didn't think I would have experienced this kind of look in my community.

Also, I noticed people from other villages coming in and we were concerned after dark that looting and stuff would take place. I think that any villager who has their village at heart should stay home and assist their chairpersons or their communities in whichever way they can, to get things back to normal. This is nothing more but a concern because we can't help ourselves. Why would you be coming in, there's no place to stay, there's no way to buy food. So why come in, what are you looking for?"

Weather Bureau:
storm's path hard to pin down-

When Hurricane Iris first appeared as a tropical depression and later as a tropical storm, it looked like it would wreak its havoc on Jamaica, Cuba, Cayman or Mexico...and even when it clearly headed for Belize, the landfall of choice seemed to be San Pedro or Belize City. So what happened? Deputy Chief Meteorologist Justin Hulse says Hurricane Iris, like many of its predecessors, was difficult to pin down.

Justin Hulse, Deputy Chief Meteorologist
"Like in Hurricane Hattie, there was a huge high pressure area...it was actually winter in the Unites States and when that happened, the hurricane can't move up. So initially, the models were expecting a straight westerly flow. So when it was under Jamaica they were expecting it to go to the west, to Yucatan. But, instead of moving straight west, it had a slight southern component to this westerly motion. And the southern component kept the moving it a little lower, a little lower, until it got to the latitude of Belize and lower until it got to the latitude of Monkey River."

Ann-Marie Williams
"Iris did a lot of damage, could have been worse, unlike Keith that hovered over for some time. Iris moved in and moved out."

Justin Hulse
"It's the speed. This was a very fast one, it was like Janet. When Janet struck Corozal in 1957, it had about the same speed, twenty miles per hour. But the speed was very important, because it meant that it stayed only a short while over the country. Now if this was a Keith, and with that amount of wind, it could have done a lot of damage, much more damage."

Unlike Keith, which sat around for three to four days and produced thirty-two inches of rainfall, Hulse says Iris only brought two to four inches in most areas. As such, severe flooding is not expected to be a problem."

#11762 - 10/10/01 10:14 PM Re: Placencia update
Carol Key Offline
I just want everyone in Placencia and Seine Bight to know how very much my thougts are with you. It is good to know that noone was injured and that lifes were spared.
One love Carol Key

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (katzgar, Marty), 44 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,675 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,058 Topics
462,301 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.