Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Wow..mybe I should cancel my trip :rolleyes: ...Not. All of my diving has been done in the far east, as I lived on Okinawa for 7 years. I'm coming to AC with a open mind...most of what I've read and heardabout AC has been positive.

One other thing...Is it possible to have a bad day diving?? cool

yes, while hanging on the line for your safety stop, the boat passes you on the way down

If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before.
What I picked up on was about the camera bucket. I belong to, and made many trips with, an underwater photographic society. I love them but do know that they are diving snobs. We went to many dive destinations in the south pacific and everyone is always looking for that prize winning shot of something no one else has ever filmed. People like this are not impressed with Ambergris Caye as they are looking for something else.
This something else can be found out in the atolls, but you pay the price to be there. If you want to dive dive dive then go on a live-aboard or stay at one of the all inclusive resorts. Long Caye in Lighthouse Atoll has a fabulous bed and breakfast called Calypso.

So, having said this, and being an underwater photographer, why did I choose to live in Belize? THE PEOPLE! All over the south pacific the 'servants' will smile, bow, run and fetch and never say a disagreeable word. HOWEVER, when their shift is finished they go to their homes and you never see them again until their next shift.

In San Pedro the people remember your name when you return for your 2nd trip. If you do something wrong, like touching the animals or coral, they will tell you. THEN, they will sit down and have lunch with you or go out after work for a few drinks.

Mother Nature does all kinds of things that we don't like and don't understand. It is known that the fluctuating water temperature is what causes coral bleaching. (do we even have chlorine in our water?) When I was in Fiji about six years ago the coral was all white. Friends who went a couple of years ago reported that the color has come back. My understanding (and I have been known to be wrong) is that it is not the coral that dies; it is the algae that lives in the coral.

When I dove the Great Barrier Reef from a live-aboard in Australia in 94/95 I was appalled; there we 17 Japanese divers and 17 non Japanese divers. The Japanese sat on, walked on and lay on the coral. They broke off pieces for souvenirs. When I talked to the ship's Captain he said they would be insulted if they were told not to and then wouldn't come back. My response was, good - who would want them back? I've since heard what sad shape the reef is in.

My first trip here I was evacuated for Hurricane Mitch so I have seen damage and recovery. I get very excited when I dive over a patch of new 4" tall stag horn coral. The sea fans and sponges are making a remarkable recovery. I am now seeing stuff here, north of the cut, that before I only saw out at the atolls.

When ever I asked for a bucket of fresh water for my cameras I was always provided with one. When I ask the folks on the boat not to put anything in my camera bucket, after explaining why, it is usually respected. Now I carry my own bucket.

About the sea conditions; you place your money and take your chances. February is usually a very good month for diving. I have incredible video from several February's; this year is very unusual. But HEY - I have a friend who paid bucoo bucks for a live-aboard to photograph Orcas; they spent a week in rough seas playing cards and never got in the water - that's the luck of the draw.

But - thank you for your post - it gave all of us and excuses to tell "the rest of the story!"

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
I agree with alot of what scubaldy said, the very best diving is around Lighthouse Atoll, I stayed there a wk. in 90 at a new resort called Lighthouse resort. Half moon caye is only a small part of the atoll.
To do the best of Belize would require a live aboard or a stay at Lighthouse.The real charm of S.P. is above the water.

The last three trips I made to S.P. I only made one dive, I go to just relax & as they say recharge my batteries, look foward to returning the end of April to chill out before I open the Water Park & deal with a couple 1000 paying customers daily.

So Ramons sucks, whats new? There are many places to stay in AC that provide great value. Mata Rocks and Banana Beach to name a couple (Tim and Terry that will be $5)

I do understand the comment about cats but then I hate cats.

I agree with what Scuba Lady says also its the local people that make AC a special place.

i also agree with scuba lady... my wife and I talked about the changed we've seen in the last 5 years .. and while we won't be back for a long time as there are too many other places to visit, we're going to fondly remember the people.

Ps.. I love cats... BBQ'd mostly.

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
My, My for a "Gold Instuctor/Dive Master with 5000 dives, Joel and Bethany, you basically come across as diving illiterate. 5-8 ft seas outside the reef? common in winter throughout the caribb' on easterly facing shores(any fisherman or diver would know that). Had you done your homework you would know that world class diving does not exist adjacent to heavy tourist areas, ie San Pedro, you would have to go to the atolls.
Pick up a copy of Skin Diver magazine and spend a little more time on-line and you be suprised at what you can LEARN about certain places. Obviously you did not research this trip! The rest of your comments about cats, sewer drains and Mr Ramon is basic drivel that I doubt would interest anyone.

Sorry I missed those golf cart races! laugh

Hey Rykat - I loved the comment about Mr. Ramon being tanned!!

i can see why the mistake could be made, all advertising for tourism in san pedro pushes great diving trips, operators, shops, gear, etc.

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
G&D someone with 5000 dives SHOULD not make that mistake.
AS can't imagine where he got it! laugh

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 139 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,028
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.