Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
Teresa Offline OP
OP Offline
T
We are planning our 1st trip to AC and are thinking that it would be a good idea to spend a couple of days/nights on the mainland rather than do a number of back and forth trips. From our research so far I think we want to stay somewhere in the Cayo area ... easy access to ruins, caves, rivers, jungle.

The problem is that I'm suffering from info overload. confused

ANY input would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

(We are going in May if that makes any difference.)

we are going down to AC on our 1st trip @21 - 28 may

J D Tremblay
Southern Illinois University Press
Phone 618-453-6634
Fax 618-453-3787
[email protected]
Mopan River Resort in Benque de Viejo is very nice. All inclusive and they take you on excursions to Mayan Ruins and Cave Tubing.

You never saw so many beautiful birds and exotic flowers in all your life!

The cabanas are immaculate and you can sleep with just the screens at night to hear the lullaby of jungle sounds.

Teresa,
Try this website: www.blackrocklodge.com

"Nothing can bring you peace but yourself"
D
D
Blackrock is very cool. Ceasar also has a very resonable hotel that is close to town.

Hello Teresa,

Here's what I usually do with my guests on a three day trip to Cayo:

Day One:
Leave San Pedro on the Tropic Air flight to Belize City Municipal (way cheaper than going to International). The wonderful people from Crystal Car Rental will pick us up at the airstrip, and we'll have a 4x4 Chevy or the new and more spacious Suzuki LX7 at a very reasonable rate.
From Belize City we go on the Western Highway to The Belize Zoo (a great little place without horrible small cages). Then directly to Caesar's Place at approx. mile 63 where we always have a fabulous meal, quite a few drinks and a good night's sleep.

Day Two:
Up early to go through San Ignacio (approx 11 miles) to the Mayan ruins of Xunantunich (about another 8 miles or so). Morning is best if you'd like to have the place to yourselves. After Xunantunich we do a quick tour of Benque Viejo and then stop at Clarissa Falls (about half way on the road back to San Ignacio) for an early lunch (more than fabulous Belizean Black Soup - it is a "must"). We then check in at the very, very nice San Ignacio Resort Hotel and spend the afternoon on an interesting trip (bad roads) to the 1,600 ft. waterfall and the Rio On Pools in the Mountain Pine Ridge area south of San Ignacio. You will be tired and full of fantastic experiences when you return, but not too tired to enjoy a great (and cheap) meal at your hotel. Still not tired? Then visit one of the many bars in the (almost) picture perfect Central American small town of San Ignacio (center is a five minutes walk from the hotel).

Day Three:
We leave early to go back on the Western Highway and turn south by Belmopan for a cruise down the beautiful Hummingbird Highway. We make a short stop by the Blue Hole (underground river coming up to the surface and a great swim), and then go back north and re-enter the Western Highway to Belize City. If there is time, a stop at Jaguar's Paw is important. You can do the zipline over the rainforest canopy or do cave tubing.
Then back to Belize City, where the guys from Crystal Cars will take you back to the airstrip for the late afternoon flight back to San Pedro.

Did this tour (again) last week and had a great time.

Well, just my way of doing it. Hope you can use some of the info for your first (and surely not last) visit to our beautiful country.
And... when you come back to the island you can stop by my beach bar and tell me all about it
smile

And for a cheap treat, try Parrot's Nest in Bullet Tree Falls, about 3 miles outside SI. ( $40-50 per night dbl)

Have not been there in a couple of years, but they do take good care of you. Awesome breakfasts!

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 354 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.