Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#118855 - 03/08/06 10:12 AM Walter Castillo
Marty Offline
Artist: Walter Castillo ( Belize, 1971 - present )

Main Category: Painting
Genres: Modern Art

Biography: Walter Castillo was born in Nicaragua in 1971. As a child his parents sent him out of the country to save him from the war and at the age of 10 years he arrived in the beautiful country of Belize. As a child he has always liked painting and travelling and dreamt one day to become an artist. He started painting in his free time for fun, designing scenarios from his mind based on the picturesque surrounding of Belize.
It seamed that universal law has already set his path as an artist. Early in his teens, he started travelling in Belize and mingling with people from many different cultures: Mayas, East Indians, Creole and Garinagu with which he lived from 13 to 17 years old. These vibrant, happy and beautiful people tough him to understand, see, listen and, most of all, love nature. He also learnt from them that negative and positive energy can be channeled and transferred to human beings and to the planet itself. All this knowledge woke up in him
a need for self expression through painting and drumming.
Castillo is a self-taught artist; he taught himself how to write and read Spanish and English, how to play instruments and how to mix colors, creating his own form of Naive style. His colorful and vibrant work celebrates the joy and zest for life depicting tropical Caribbean settings, magical rainforest with mysterious animals and wondrous waterfalls, mystical people playing exotic instruments and hiding behind the luxurious tropical canopy. His imagination is never-ending??.. "I learn from every piece of artwork I create. My art is like trees planted by rivers of water, that give fruits in its own season, which leaves shall never wither. I give thanks to the creators of the universe, to the sun and the earth, to my earthly mother for giving me my present body with which I express myself. I give thanks to the people of the earth for their love and respect for my art, knowing that my work pays respect to all mankind and all ethnic groups that populate the face of our planet, hoping that my work one day will become a cultural patrimony to all my brothers and sisters all over the universe"

Exhibition History: In 1990 he had his first successful exhibit in Cavendish Square in London where he met a lot of people that loved and appreciated his work. From then on, his path as an international professional artist was set. He had two more exhibition in England and expositions in Belize, Houston, San Diego, New Orleans, Miami, San Francisco, New York, Berna, Lisbon, Madrid, Barcelona, Lion, Tuscany, Milan, Hamburg, Moscow, Abu Dabhi, Taiwan, Japan, Managua (Nic.), Tegucigalpa (Hond.) and Chetumal (Mex.).

#118856 - 03/08/06 10:52 AM Re: Walter Castillo
Pam&Dave Offline
Thanks Marty. I've admired Walter Castillo's work since first seeing it on AC. It is my hope to acquire a print on my next visit. I had no idea he has shown his work in so many countries. He has a kind heart and love of humanity. I'd love to meet him someday.
"Nothing can bring you peace but yourself"

#118857 - 03/08/06 11:26 AM Re: Walter Castillo
Xoe Offline
Is there a place in San Pedro where his work can be viewed and/or purchased?

#118858 - 03/08/06 02:11 PM Re: Walter Castillo
PalapaBob Offline
I've already told you more than I know.

#118859 - 03/08/06 04:09 PM Re: Walter Castillo
Very nice to see you give some props to my neighbor walter, marty. He always seems very nice every time i speak to him. His work is quite good, A very gifted guy.
I want to be just like Capt Jeff when I grow up!

#118860 - 03/08/06 04:29 PM Re: Walter Castillo
IRM Offline
Check the gallery Belizean Arts in Fido's Coutryard.

#118861 - 03/08/06 06:26 PM Re: Walter Castillo
Marty Offline
i LOVE walters work. have worshipped his skills for years, tho we have never actually met. his work is all over my office. i get so many wondrous comments.

i want to do a caribbean art show someday with my office. just take everything out of here and do a show. i have an addiction problem with caribbean art. only bought 5 paintings last trip (a gorgeous nelson young, a papo that is dreamy, a mainland house scene in the jungle done by someone who i can't read their name, and an osprey by valley. also a gorgeous watercolor by rose escalante. brought a 5 foot tube a foot in diameter for one of my three carryons. limit is two of course. a purse and a bag. i had a 90 pound purse a 60 pound bag and a huge tube of rolled up paintings that luckily i was able to talk my way on each plane with.

but no one should go to san pedro without visiting belizean arts. in fidos downtown i guess i should say now.

#118862 - 03/08/06 06:27 PM Re: Walter Castillo
Marty Offline

#118863 - 03/08/06 07:14 PM Re: Walter Castillo
Xoe Offline
Marty, thank you so much for posting this thread and providing links about this wonderful artist. Something else to look forward to in May!

#118864 - 03/08/06 11:07 PM Re: Walter Castillo
Marty Offline
honored my friend. <bow>

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 19 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,635 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,711 Topics
461,241 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.