Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
OP Offline
After about a month of procrastination, my boyfriend and I just booked a week in Ambergris Caye. We're leaving two weeks from today, and I have LOTS of questions!

1.) Our flight into Belize City arrives at 2:34pm. Will we have time to catch the last water taxi to AC?

2.) Can we decide once we're there if we want to take a plane or water taxi back to Belize City? Or do we have to reserve in advance?

3.) I have an GSM 1900 cell phone that I plan to get unlocked. Can I get a SIM card at the airport, and if so how much does it cost? How is the coverage on Ambergris? We'll be staying at Exotic Caye.

4.) Has anyone ever used "cave-tubing.com"? I know they specialize in cruise excursions, but they promptly returned my email and said we could do the excursion if we took the first water taxi over. I was impressed via email, and this would save us about $150!

5.) Any good restaurant suggestions for vegetarians?

6.) Nightlife suggestions? Looks like our hotel has Crazy Canuck's, and we also want to check out the chicken drop.

7.) Is there ANY way to take an affordable day trip to Tikal?

Thanks so much!!

Erin

Erin
Answer to question #6... check out Fido's and Jaquars for nightlife and dancing. It was a ton of fun! Pier 1 Lounge has the chicken drop, which I didn't get to attend, but heard that it's fun to watch and participate in. It's also a good happy hour place before to go out dancing. BC's is a good hangout bar on the beach, and Blue Water Grill also have a yummy drink called the horny monkey. Definitely try one when you are there... it tastes like a banana creme frozen drink! They are a lil' pricey but worth it. Crazy Canuck's was a fun bar as well... those are the places that I can remember, but I'm sure you will come across many other bars that will be great too. Have fun!! laugh

1. No, catch the plane, flights every 1/2 hour.
2. No need to reserve, go straight to Tropic Air or Maya Island Air desks in the main terminal once you've cleared the arrivals hall.
3. You can probably get a SIM card at the airport, if not it's easy to get one here on the island.
4. If you can avoid a cave tubing excursion that has dozens of cruise ship passengers on it you'll get more enjoyment out of the tour.
5. Vegetarians? How awful. (Seriously, would someone else please answer this question!)
6. Jackie already answered that.
7. You gotta spend a night or two at Tikal if possible to get the most out of it. The day trip is expensive because it involves international flights.

5) Irm and I are both vegetarians and have been to SP four times. Lot's of great choices.

Some of my personal veggie favorites are:

Tastes of Thailand - incredible thai food #55 is my favorite wink
//ambergriscaye.com/tastesofthailand/index.html (Hi Tippy and John!)

Casa Picasso - wonderful wonderful food and martini's //ambergriscaye.com/casapicasso/index.html (Hi Chris and Jen!)

Ali Baba's - delicious fresh Mediterranean - the best falafel, hummus, babaganouch and pita bread I have ever had (Hey Omar! Crunchy Falafel sandwich -YUM)

Stain Glass Pub - varied fabulous menu - friendly owners and dog

Cannibal's - wonderful "veggie potato boats"

Jade Garden - //ambergriscaye.com/jadegarden/index.html

Estel's - Dine by the Sea - great for breakfast //ambergriscaye.com/estels/index.html

Tons of options for us non-carnivores. Have a great time. mobunny cool

I forgot they also have some tasty vegetarian options at Caramba's. Veggie Fajita's, etc. Enjoy! mobunny

OP Offline
Thanks so much for the suggestions!

About the Tropic Air and Mayan Island Air flights...will we be able to get out pretty quickly if we just walk up to the desk? My boyfriend is very impatient. :rolleyes: Is there any price difference if you book in advance?

I'm playing with the idea of a Tikal overnight...I think I read somewhere that we could take a bus from the water taxi to Flores for about $8. Is that true? How long is the bus ride? About how much would an overnight trip that way cost (wouldn't want to spend too much since we'd be paying for an unoccupied room in AC that night)?

Erin
Maya and Tropis each offer day trips to Tikal. I read in San Pedro Daily that the Cayo area is not very safe right now. People are getting robbed and raped. Just be careful.

Your boyfriend's impatience-ness will heal while in Belize. It's a curable disease that San Pedro will take care of quickly. Have no fear. When you get off the plane at BZ International, make your reservations with either Maya or Tropic. Then take him to Jets Bar for a Belikin beer or a rum punch and the wait won't be so long. After a few days in San Pedro he'll be a changed man.

ArtZ SmartZ
OP Offline
ArtZ, I hope you're right! In general, how long is the wait for a Maya/Tropic flight?

Also, I successfully unlocked my old Nokia phone last night. About how much is a SIM card going to cost me?

Erin
JZB Offline
1) Take a flight once you get in. Even if you do make the last water taxi it may be so crowded there may not be enough room for you and your luggage. Plus it is the rainy season, do you really want to take that chance? You do not need to reserve a flight and they usually get you out pretty quick (Tropic).

2)You can wait until your last day to decide how you want to get back to the Intl airport.

3)You can get a SIM card (comes with $10 card) at Sea Turtle giftshop for $40-$50BZ

4)Do you really want to do mainland tours with 200 other people? Go with the island's local tour operators and go on days when cruiseships are not in Belize. ambergrisvacation.com can book any tour you want.

5)Most restaurants have vegetarian options. As long as you are not a vegan, you won't have a problem.

6)For nightlife, walk up and down the beach. You'll figure it out.

7)If taking the bus to Tikal, you'll want to spend a night or two there. Tropic Air offers a day trip for about $300US. With recent events close to the Guatemala border, you may want to fly.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 133 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,202
Posts500,026
Members20,466
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.