Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
kelly d Offline OP
OP Offline
Hubby and I are going to AC in July. How careful must we be of drinking water? I DON'T want a lovely case of Montezuma's revenge, diarrhea, etc. (I work at a high school. You can't IMAGINE the euphemism's I know for "diarrhea"!) So.....avoid all water except bottled? Are ice cubes safe? Should we wash fruits and veggies in bottled water? What about a little splash in the mouth when showering??

Any other suggestions about health? Hubby is diabetic but healthy as a horse. I'm fat and healthy as a horse.....a fat horse!

We have never had a problem with the water, ice, or fruits and veggies. Belize is clean in that way, not like Mexico. Come and enjoy!!

What about taking any medications before I go? I went to the doctor and they were recommending shots and medications for malaria. Should I have said yes to any of these? My boyfriend says to suck it up that I will be okay!!!!

kelly d Offline OP
OP Offline
I've read that malaria meds are recommended, as well as a Hepatitis A vaccine. I used to work at a medical clinic that did "travel medicine", so I'll get some advice about what is necessary and what is just some huge pharmaceutical company trying to scare people into using their products.

Lacy, you do all that travelling without your Hep A (&B)? Haven't you had a tetanus shot?

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

Our belief is always cover yourself. We got hep shots... which is something that is a good standard if you're planning on traveling to unsure areas. We also got the chloroquinine (I think) pills for malaria. Did that cause we spent time inland.

We had no problems with bugs at all... probably partially cause of the time of year we visited. We also ate, drank and played merrily and had no problem with the water. Bought bottled water to make sure we could always stay hydrated by having something to drink.

First timers impression? Absolutely no problems with any physical issues. And what a GREAT place to visit!

P.S. We did our first trip the last two weeks of October last year. Wilma was getting ready, and then actually blowing through, while we were there. I think this might have had something to do with the low bug count at the time.

Safe, wonderful and absolutely incredible trip! Go for it!!!!

My reality check bounced.
Lacy, when will you be in SP? Perhaps if we are there the same time we can meet up someplace??

Live so that when you arise in the A.M, Satan shudders & says..
'Oh sh t..she's awake!'
Some people have gotten sick by eating the outside of fruit (apples, oranges etc). Be safe and only drink bottled water. There is a reason bottled water is provided in your room.

J
J
We just got back a few weeks ago and had no problems. We bought some bottled water just because I knew my wife would not be comfortable drinking the tap water despite reassurance from people here. To prove the point I did drink plenty of tap water and ice. No problems at all. Bring some immodium just in case you are sensitive to different food etc.

Have a great time!

My wife's doc says she needs hep A&B tetnnus ( all three should be taken anyway even if you arent traveling ) and typhoid is the typhoid really needed

p.s. Having just gotten out of the army I have been shot for every diease known to man hell i cant even give blood for 5 years

J D Tremblay
Southern Illinois University Press
Phone 618-453-6634
Fax 618-453-3787
[email protected]
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 354 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.