Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#121361 - 04/21/06 05:25 AM Bringing food through customs
kelly d Offline
Will the customs inspectors be OK with us bringing in packaged food, such as a box of crackers or pasta or some such thing? I don't mean meat, fruit or anything "fresh", just packaged items. Or will they think we're smuggling drugs in my package of Oreos and make us tear open the package??

#121362 - 04/21/06 05:57 AM Re: Bringing food through customs
Anonymous
I always pack snacks and have never had a problem - cookies, pasta, olives, tuna, microwave popcorn - not on the list to declare and no one at customs ever gave it a second glance. That said, even when I was there for 18 days, the local food was so good I ended up leaving most of the stuff I brought with people at the hotel. Did cook dinner in a couple of nights and it was fun to share snacks with the kids on the beach.

#121363 - 04/21/06 02:20 PM Re: Bringing food through customs
JZB Offline
You can probably buy just about any package item you need here. Why schlep it all the way down? Sure it is more expensive here but what are the odds your crackers are going to make it here in one piece anyway? Just no matter where you shop or what you buy on the island, ALWAYS check the expiration date.

#121364 - 04/21/06 02:24 PM Re: Bringing food through customs
1BKeeper Offline
I had an insulated bag in my carry on filled with cheeses and cookie dough. I (or someone in my group) also carried dip mixes, crackers, peanut butter, cookies, candy, snack packs, popcorn, nuts, drink mixes, cereal, coffee, creamer, sugar, and sweetners...packed in any and all nooks or crannies in the suitcases and fishing rod holder.
Like lawcucui, we gave away most of what we didn't use.
Have fun!

#121365 - 04/21/06 05:27 PM Re: Bringing food through customs
LaurieMar Offline
I bring snacks and munchies, as well as booze, everytime I go down. Never had a problem.

#121366 - 04/21/06 05:36 PM Re: Bringing food through customs
JZB Offline
All the foods mentioned above, you can buy here.

#121367 - 04/21/06 09:37 PM Re: Bringing food through customs
LaurieMar Offline
I like my California red wine and my tequila bottle in my room and love to share it with locals. Last time, I think I counted 19 people had shots of gold from my bottle. Had a lot of fun that night!

#121368 - 04/21/06 10:14 PM Re: Bringing food through customs
Anonymous
JZB - beg to differ - can't get my favorite cookies there and have NEVER been able to find 1/2 & 1/2 that wasn't spoiled. I love San Pedro and love the local food, but for an extended visit I guess I want a little bit of my favs from home. So far it hasn't seemed to cut down on my support of the local economy one bit! laugh

#121369 - 04/21/06 10:28 PM Re: Bringing food through customs
JZB Offline
I completely understand wanting your favorites, but olives, tuna, pasta, etc, that stuff is pretty generic. I'm a huge half and half fan myself and it is getting much better. I sometimes have to go a couple days without it before the store gets a fresh supply, but they are getting better at keeping that stuff in stock. I remember a couple years ago you couldn't find half and half to save your life. Same goes for bug free pasta. As I said before, you always have to watch out for that expiration date.

#121370 - 04/21/06 10:39 PM Re: Bringing food through customs
Anonymous
YEA! on the half and half - thanks for the update. Also, for anyone interested, found some great cheeses at Wine DeVine - premium prices but fairly extensive selection, no kalamata olives though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 30 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,672 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,036 Topics
462,242 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.