Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
kelly d Offline OP
OP Offline
Will the customs inspectors be OK with us bringing in packaged food, such as a box of crackers or pasta or some such thing? I don't mean meat, fruit or anything "fresh", just packaged items. Or will they think we're smuggling drugs in my package of Oreos and make us tear open the package??

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
I always pack snacks and have never had a problem - cookies, pasta, olives, tuna, microwave popcorn - not on the list to declare and no one at customs ever gave it a second glance. That said, even when I was there for 18 days, the local food was so good I ended up leaving most of the stuff I brought with people at the hotel. Did cook dinner in a couple of nights and it was fun to share snacks with the kids on the beach.

JZB Offline
You can probably buy just about any package item you need here. Why schlep it all the way down? Sure it is more expensive here but what are the odds your crackers are going to make it here in one piece anyway? Just no matter where you shop or what you buy on the island, ALWAYS check the expiration date.

I had an insulated bag in my carry on filled with cheeses and cookie dough. I (or someone in my group) also carried dip mixes, crackers, peanut butter, cookies, candy, snack packs, popcorn, nuts, drink mixes, cereal, coffee, creamer, sugar, and sweetners...packed in any and all nooks or crannies in the suitcases and fishing rod holder.
Like lawcucui, we gave away most of what we didn't use.
Have fun!

L
L
I bring snacks and munchies, as well as booze, everytime I go down. Never had a problem.

JZB Offline
All the foods mentioned above, you can buy here.

L
L
I like my California red wine and my tequila bottle in my room and love to share it with locals. Last time, I think I counted 19 people had shots of gold from my bottle. Had a lot of fun that night!

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
JZB - beg to differ - can't get my favorite cookies there and have NEVER been able to find 1/2 & 1/2 that wasn't spoiled. I love San Pedro and love the local food, but for an extended visit I guess I want a little bit of my favs from home. So far it hasn't seemed to cut down on my support of the local economy one bit! laugh

JZB Offline
I completely understand wanting your favorites, but olives, tuna, pasta, etc, that stuff is pretty generic. I'm a huge half and half fan myself and it is getting much better. I sometimes have to go a couple days without it before the store gets a fresh supply, but they are getting better at keeping that stuff in stock. I remember a couple years ago you couldn't find half and half to save your life. Same goes for bug free pasta. As I said before, you always have to watch out for that expiration date.

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
YEA! on the half and half - thanks for the update. Also, for anyone interested, found some great cheeses at Wine DeVine - premium prices but fairly extensive selection, no kalamata olives though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.