Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
S
Well, let's see I have Kraft Cheddar, Monteray Jack and Colby in the fridge right now so I guess the answer would be yes (they expire in July).

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
SFJeff - I stand corrected - they seemed less expensive to me, but I only bought the tiny packages from the kids so apparently that wasn't a good comparison.

Simon, come on, be fair. We all have a few favorite things that aren't available there. I wouldn't lug in a grocery store, but for a long stay there are a couple of things I always want to bring. I've also been asked by locals and residents there to bring the occassional item. I've never had a problem with any of them at customs.

M
OP Offline
M
Hey, great. So I CAN bring an assortment of food in.
And yes, I've learned that so much stuff is available in SP. I like the sausage factory meats and chicken tacos.
Maybe next time I'll just bring some really good cheeses, wines, and of course bagels. And cookies. And pasta. and maybe a few other things.

S
S
Was just going by the list that was posted. True there are many items you can't get here (mainly by brand name) but the list had a lot of items that you can get here...

Canned foods - got 'em, what do you need?
Powdered drink mixes - KoolAid, Tang, Nestea... got 'em
Dried fruits - Apricots, raisins, cranberries, dates...
Bagels or Poptarts - got 'em both in all kinds of flavours
Cheese - the cheese has returned!
Candy bars - this might be the only one that you may not get your favourite but do you get white chocolate Kit Kat's up there?
Coffee - local, Guatemalan, Maxwell House... got 'em
Canned cashews or peanuts - got 'em in numerous brands and types.

Pasta's - Mueller's brand is widely available and of good quality

Good Cheeses -
Asiago Aged
Brie (France) Wedge
Camembert-Supreme
Danish Blue Pre-Cut VacSeal
Danish Blue Wheel
Dbl Gloucester w/Stilton (Huntsman)
Emmental (Swiss)
Feta
Gorgonzola
Havarti with Dill
Havarti with Sundried Tomato
Mozzarella
Mozzarella, Fresh (8 oz ball)
Parmesan Grana Pre-Cut VacSeal
Parmesan Grated 8 oz container
Parmesan Reggiano Pre-Cut VacSeal
Pepper Jack Pre-Cut VacSeal
Port Salut
Provolone
Romano Pecorino
Roquefort Societe Bee Wedge
St. Andre
Stilton
Stilton Ilchester Pre-Cut VacSeal

Wines - Over 300 varieties available on the island

Can we all admit that some of the boarders own businesses on the Island, and from time to time post about that business? In general, they are answering direct questions, and are very helpful! At least, Simon and others (including Pedro 1) are well known for their business. Let's let them inform and educate!

I'm all for supporting the businesses on the island, but if you only have so many $$'s, if you bring a lot of the stuff you eat, it allows more $$ to go to other stuff. I like to eat at home half the time, and eat out the rest of the time. If I can bring stuff to make samiches for lunch, I can afford to eat dinner out every night. I still spend the $$ on the island, but not all for food. If allows me to do more stuff, and enjoy more if I can eat a few meals at home, or at least have snacks with drinks at home, then go out to eat. I don't think that is gyping the economy....is it?

Live so that when you arise in the A.M, Satan shudders & says..
'Oh sh t..she's awake!'
M
OP Offline
M
okay, so perhaps there are some experts here, is it true that businesses have one price for the locals, and another price for the tourists? I'm really not personally opposed to that. I love Belize, and can probably afford the higher prices more than some of the true Belizeans, but it is one of the reasons that I like to at least take some stuff with me.

L
L
Years ago going to SP I took all kinds of stuff, I would end up giving it all away to the locals by the time I left.Hawaiian Sling, masks, fins,tent, binoculars, can opener,etc., the can opener was the one thing that made a lady cry over in San Ignacio, she had never had one. The hand crankink kind, no less. The Federalies would always want to consificate my tapes(music off M-TV back then)and cigs that my friend offshore wanted. Mervino was around in those days.So were the Brittish soldiers who loved to drink and play darts.The fish were so beautiful and plenty, it was sand streets, barefeet, paradise. Wish it was more like that today at times, but I love it none the less..

S
S
"is it true that businesses have one price for the locals, and another price for the tourists?"

Some restaurants offer a discount to locals, most don't. As far as groceries go, most stores have price tags on their products or they have scanners so you know you're paying the same price. Just make sure that the price on the item is what's keyed at the register.

I remember once listening to a couple in front of me at the register demanding a 15% discount because they had just bought a vacation condo and were now "local". Guess they heard the same rumour as well.

Don't bring cashews!!!! The cashews from Belize are 10 X better than those in the states, fresh, and amazing... and cheaper than in the states.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 372 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.