Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#122554 05/24/06 09:21 PM
S
OP Offline
S
We just returned from a week's stay in AC. The weather was perfect, and the beaches beautiful. We stayed at Banana Beach, and are completely happy that we did: the staff was friendly and helpful. A bonus for us was that Banana was one of the few (three maybe?) hotels on AC that has a backup generator for when the power went out. We met some older travelers staying at Ramons who were displeased at the lack of tvs and other general niceties taken for granted at most hotels/resorts- but Banana had everything we needed, plus some.

All future first-time visitors should frequent the 'fast food' stalls for some very inexpensive rice and beans (and potato salad on top) with stewed chicken- but beware the habanero peppered onions: they look innocent but they pack quite a punch.

There is only one thing that I regrettably feel I should mention here, if only to advise future travelers.... It is a bit of a long story, but the basics are that I went snorkeling and couldn't get water out of my ear. It began to ache fiercely after a few days and I finally decided to go to a clinic. I walked to the closest one and saw Dr. Emmanuel, at the Emmanuel Clinic (?). He was a pleasant person, but please do NOT go there. He tried to get me to go along with some insurance scam that involved my paying him more, then him writing me a receipt for more than what I actually paid him, so that I could file a claim for reimbursement with my insurance company back home. I declined and refused to fill out any paperwork. The end result: a consultation fee and left there feeling more miserable than when I arrived. (I don't mean to disparage Dr. Emmanuel, but my experience with him was truly terrible.)

When I got back to our hotel, I asked the front desk what to do and they groaned when they heard that I went to Dr. Emmanuel. Apparently he has quite a reputation for inflated prices. I ended up seeing Dr. Javier Zuniga, who came right to the hotel with his medical kit in less than 20 minutes, diagnosed me with an ear infection, and felt so badly that I'd been swindled by Dr. Emmanuel that he wasn't even going to charge me for anything but the prescriptions!! As soon as I got the medicine, I felt 100% better and could enjoy the rest of the vacation. I highly recommend Dr. Zuniga for any of the unfortunate medical events that may put a damper on your vacation- he was gentle, kind and honest.

#122555 05/25/06 08:22 AM
ssboston, that's an unfortuanate incident but glad it all got worked out.

Glad you liked BB! Hope the rest of your trip was enjoyable!

#122556 05/25/06 08:53 AM
Dr. Emmanuel is a crook of the highest order and should and has been exposed to the BTB by me and also to the townboard-he overcharges tourists-I had a backpacker staying with me and he tried to charge him 500bzd for four stitches as he said it was a holiday-fortunately he did not have all the money on him and said he had to go to Pedro's to get the rest-he told me the story I called Dr. Dan and he said four stitches should cost 50bzd-I sent the guy to see him and he had been given the wrong anti-biotic-Dr. Emmanuel had been paid 125bzd and he then came round to my place looking for his patient -I had by this time put him on a boat to Caye Caulker-Dr. Emmanuel threatened me-I told him to f*** off my property-not a good person.

#122557 05/25/06 09:55 AM
[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 338 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.