Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#122861 - 05/31/06 12:37 PM Flight deals
jessie_30 Offline
I am flying to Belize in February of 2008. I realize it's a ways away, but I am wondering when am I most likely to get the best flight rates? I don't want to wait until last minute, because it is for my wedding. So, should I buy them as soon as possible, or wait for a certain month of the year, or just a few months before? I just have no idea. It seems that when I look at rates for February of 2007 right now, they are higher than when I searched for that month back in November. If you have any ideas, please let me know! Thanks!!!!

#122862 - 05/31/06 05:08 PM Re: Flight deals
Barbara K Offline
I would say look now and keep looking often. Whenever you see a drop in rates, buy. You can also program your departure city and BZE in the search functions on Yahoo Travel, Travelocity, etc and they will notify you when the fares change. Sales come & go fairly frequently.

#122863 - 05/31/06 10:18 PM Re: Flight deals
klcman Offline
My experience, over the years, is that best rates come within 4-6 weeks ( barring any outlandish luck-of-the draw sale) of departure. Theory has held time & again and not destination specific. Got burned only once, but made up for it just recently BIGTIME!

Just my experience, not gospel.

#122864 - 05/31/06 10:21 PM Re: Flight deals
kris48 Offline
My best luck has been about 4 months out. Have never gotten burned with this.

#122865 - 06/01/06 12:33 PM Re: Flight deals
krehfish Offline
Jessie, see you're a mudduck so I assume it'll be a MSP flight. klc is right about the 4-6 weeks. I've followed that for 6years,twice a year. Happened again 2 weeks ago for late June flights. They hovered at $800+/-, then dropped overnite to $600(AA and CO) and are still there. I'd chill for about 14 months. Alternatively, pick a price you can live with, and if it hits, book it and be done.

#122866 - 06/01/06 01:13 PM Re: Flight deals
Otteralum Offline
Great advice from everyone -- it really seems to hold to that 4-6 week pattern. If that scares you, you may also want to look at services like skyauction.com that may be able to get you into the $450-$550 price range for the days you want without waiting until that last couple of months. I've had good luck with Costa Rica there and know they list BZE often.

#122867 - 06/01/06 02:14 PM Re: Flight deals
ScubaLdy Offline
I don’t see where you are coming from. If you list that I think you will get a lot of very good advice.
I fly back and forth between BZE and the San Francisco Bay Area. I prefer going through Dallas and like American Airlines. Over the year I have learned the days of the week when the fewest business people are flying and they are always deadheading planes back to DFW – sometimes my flights are almost empty until I leave out of DFW.

I have set my ceiling (US $500) on what I am willing to pay. A friend taught me the value of frequent flier miles. If I can not get a flight for under my ceiling then I book FF miles. I also do a lot of multiple city travel and usually get a couple of extra cities for about US $100 each RT. AND – Boy the miles add up.
When I find a fare I like on the days I like I put a 24 hour hold on it. I have found RT for as low as US $348.

Good luck.

#122868 - 06/01/06 03:02 PM Re: Flight deals
cakelee Offline
Is a 24-hour hold commonly available on most airlines? I am approaching the 4-6 week window (for a mid-July trip), so this information (hopefully) will be very useful. Thanks.

P.S. jessie - a friend will be flying from MSP, so I have been checking out deals from there, too. I saw $500.75 including tax on one day but it was back up to $700ish the next day.

#122869 - 06/01/06 04:43 PM Re: Flight deals
Xoe Offline
I flew R/T Seattle-Belize in January, and again in May. In January the fares were showing up at about $750 so I used f.f. miles (Alaska f.f. program partnered with American): 35,000 f.f. miles was a good deal for that ticket. My sister joined me from Hawaii and her ticket also was 35,000 f.f. miles, for HNL-DFW-BZE, which was a REALLY good deal!

In May I got the same routing (SEA-DFW-BZE) for $440, so it was a good deal to buy with cash, bad deal with f.f. miles.

You just need to keep checking, and grab it when the time comes. If you're getting less than a 2-cent per mile value for your f.f. miles, it's usually not the best way to use your miles.

#122870 - 06/01/06 05:03 PM Re: Flight deals
krehfish Offline
One other thing sorta mentioned by scubalady, and that's the day of the week you fly. MSP to BZE flights have also been cheaper flying tuesdays and thursdays

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
6 registered (azbob, Judyann H., Jameela01, 3 invisible), 34 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,675 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,060 Topics
462,313 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.