Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#123274 - 06/06/06 06:35 PM Malaria
Belize06 Offline
I will be traveling to Ambergris Caye on Sunday for our honeymoon. I was looking at our travel itenerary today and noticed it suggested receiving antimalaria drugs prior to the trip. At this point there really isn't time for us to do that...is that going to be a problem? Are there very many cases of Malaria on the Caye? Thanks for any info you can give us!

#123275 - 06/06/06 06:50 PM Re: Malaria
This question gets asked a lot. You can use the search function above and/or check out this thread:

#123276 - 06/06/06 07:40 PM Re: Malaria
mikeh375 Offline
I wouldn't be overly concerned about Malaria if I were you. Just take a couple of containers of a good insect repellent, with at least 23 percent deet, and use it. The mosquito that carries Malaria only bites between sunset and sunrise. My favorite repellent is UltrThon made by 3M. Get the cream instead of the spray. It lasts longer and you don't need to use much for it to be effective. A word of caution when using any product containing deet...read the label carefully, and heed what types of clothing, plastics to keep it away from...it will disolve plastic watch crystals, and some synthetics. Wash your hands well after applying it.
Coming to you from the beautiful Oley Valley.

#123277 - 06/06/06 07:56 PM Re: Malaria
seachange Offline
You actually have time to start the meds if you get it soon, ( you can get more info on the CDC website) but common wisdom indicates that you do not need it if you are staying on the caye and not going inland. As I understand it, the med does not prevent malaria, just starts treatment in case you get it, which is unlikely.
This may not be the same advice as CDC, but I have not heard of anyone contracting malaria on Ambergris Caye, and, if you did, I believe there are good options to treat it. In any case, if you are on your honeymoon, I advised minimizing stress and just avoiding worry. Use the DEET when you are outside. Oh, and congratulations, best wishes and enjoy your honeymoon in the perfect venue of Ambergris Caye.

#123278 - 06/07/06 01:07 AM Re: Malaria
Sir Isaac Newton Offline
No need for meds, trust me.
Check out my site: www.ambergriscayerealestate.net

#123279 - 06/07/06 02:32 AM Re: Malaria
seashell Offline
There's a woman on another board who insists that her child caught dengue on Ambergris.
A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

#123280 - 06/07/06 07:32 AM Re: Malaria
bywarren Offline
That is great, SIN. A time share salesman closing by saying "trust me". laugh

Although in this case, you can. I know alot of people who live or vacation on AC for long periods of time who do not take malaria meds. Me included. In 37 years the sickest I have been has had something to do with Fido's the night before or BC's the afternoon before. wink

PS: I did not mention Pedro's because I do not drink Jagermeister.

#123281 - 06/07/06 08:25 AM Re: Malaria
SimonB Offline
I discussed this with our last health inspector and I was advised that there had not been a reported case of Malaria on AC in recent memory. There have been cases of Dengue but again it has been many years since there has been an outbreak.

If you are spending extended periods of time in the more remote parts of the mainland it's probably a good idea but if you are only coming to the AC you will be fine.

Seachange is right, you are pretty much already too late to start treatment and you should only take anti-malarials on the advice of a doctor as there are side effects.

#123282 - 06/07/06 10:52 AM Re: Malaria
Belize06 Offline
Thank you everyone!! We are so excited to get to AC, wish we could skip the wedding and go straight to Belize!!

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 44 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,633 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,706 Topics
461,226 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.