Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#123333 - 06/08/06 04:28 PM Watch where you use your credit cards.
mikeh375 Offline
My credit card statements are coming in, and among the charges are those we incurred while in AC last month. There was nothing unusual (unexpected) except for one shop that tacked on a five percent charge of their own. This was after I asked the person at the cash register if they added a surcharge, and she replied ....NO. The name of the shop is Mambo Chill on Barrier Reef Drive. No other establishment added a surcharge like Mambo Chill did. frown L.T.B.B.
Coming to you from the beautiful Oley Valley.

#123334 - 06/08/06 04:43 PM Re: Watch where you use your credit cards.
beachboy Offline
Recently on the mainland there has been huge shake up of the credit card system. Historically most places added a charge for credit card usage, typically 5%. The banks, especially Belize Bank were trying to stamp this practice out as they said it was illegal to add any charge.

I would be interested to here from any board members who may know whether this is also the case on SP.

#123335 - 06/08/06 05:55 PM Re: Watch where you use your credit cards.
Amanda Syme Offline
Although the banks charge the merchant a fee for having the ability to take credit cards, it is against the merchant agreement with bank. What this means is that you can claim the money back from Mambo Chill. And/or you can make an official complaint to Visa etc. There is a possibility that because this business has (alledgedly) violated its credit card agreement that it will lose that priveledge (sp) of taking cards in the future.

#123336 - 06/08/06 09:44 PM Re: Watch where you use your credit cards.
mikeh375 Offline
I just got off the phone with the credit card company, and they deleted the charges.
Coming to you from the beautiful Oley Valley.

#123337 - 06/08/06 11:16 PM Re: Watch where you use your credit cards.
beachboy Offline

#123338 - 06/09/06 12:36 AM Re: Watch where you use your credit cards.
hot crossed buns Offline
I was chared $2.50 when I was forced to use a credit card to donate to Julia. Be careful when you use a credit card in SP.

#123339 - 06/09/06 08:01 AM Re: Watch where you use your credit cards.
krehfish Offline
"forced"??? what evil being held a gun to your head?
Flyfishing my way through mid-life crisis.

#123340 - 06/09/06 09:08 AM Re: Watch where you use your credit cards.
SimonB Offline
hcb, don't be an ass. That's a totally different situation. You were making a donation and that fee would have come out of Steve's pocket, be fair. Don't forget that he'll still probably have to account for those funds when he pays his monthly business tax.

#123341 - 06/09/06 09:30 AM Re: Watch where you use your credit cards.
captjeff Offline
Simon very well put ,if people are willing to help other people and use there cc machine, to help do that just great.it was a very ,very nice gesture god bless him ..what the hell is 2.5 percent when you try to help someone out in need..it was a win ,win to get it done..it is not like he tried to charge hcb more then his cost. I personly do not eat,in places that charge a extra 5 percent cc charge.think the merchant is not in the real world,I also know this is belize and there country but I would have them raise the price to what they think is fare , and good for them '' but please do not try to add on 5 percent like I am some stupid gringo prey.And all who know me ,know I am not a cheapo ..
Living The Dream Every Day!

#123342 - 06/09/06 09:33 AM Re: Watch where you use your credit cards.
JZB Offline
I'm having a deja vu here. I believe we touched on this topic on a recent post and it was the view of a couple boarders that we should 'basically suck it up and move back to the US if you don't want to pay' I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks wrong is wrong, and right is right. Not only can Mambo chill loose their CC privledges, but so can Belize Bank if it gets out of hand.

I do however agree that for donation purposes, it should't cost Coconet money for doing a good deed.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (DonnyQ), 52 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,633 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,709 Topics
461,234 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.