Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#123732 - 06/17/06 06:44 PM Can we take home shells, etc?
kelly d Offline
Is it legal (or moral or culturally acceptable) to take home something found on a beach, like a shell, piece of coral, rock, etc? Many places in California outlaw taking home even a grain of sand, and Hawaii has some cultural taboos that say if you take something home it will cause you bad luck forever! What's the scoop on AC? How about buying such things?

#123733 - 06/18/06 07:45 PM Re: Can we take home shells, etc?
snorkelgirl Offline
We each brought home 1 conch shell but it must go in checked luggage, not carry-on.

If youn get a "fresh" one, scrub the algae off with bleach water and a wire brush, air dry. Then pack it. Things will smell alot better!!

I did bring two small ziploc bags of sand, but they were marked for our Coastal Studies Institute at the university. No questions were asked, and they did go through my bag.

#123734 - 06/18/06 10:10 PM Re: Can we take home shells, etc?
Xoe Offline
I brought home an assortment of tiny shells, also pieces of coral, all found among piles of debris on the beach -- certainly no loss to anyone there. They now are arranged around a wood carving of a sting ray -- a nice reminder of wonderful Belize!

#123735 - 06/18/06 10:16 PM Re: Can we take home shells, etc?
lacysisland Offline
I could be cursed, I brought home sand(Black) from Hawaii about 30 years ago,but I have had a lot of fun since!!It's all been great!!The sand is still in my home, I keep tabs on it, HA HA

#123736 - 06/18/06 10:53 PM Re: Can we take home shells, etc?
kerry Offline
lacysisland...still have my black sand from kona, hawaii from 36 years ago! don't believe i was ever cursed by taking it...

kelly d...i brought 3 conch shells, found on the beach, home with me....small seashells and coral, as well....no problem for me..

#123737 - 06/19/06 03:09 AM Re: Can we take home shells, etc?
Fengshui Offline
When we cleared out of Belize at the airport, we were specifically asked if we had conch shells in our luggage. We didn't. But those of you who took shells home, were you asked, and if so, what did you say?

This was 3 weeks ago.

#123738 - 06/19/06 11:15 AM Re: Can we take home shells, etc?
SeaDreams Offline
We had two in our carry on and had to unpack them and find a place for them in our checked luggage. I've been told they could be considered possible weapons...?
My reality check bounced.

#123739 - 06/19/06 12:23 PM Re: Can we take home shells, etc?
Barbara K Offline
I had to take hot sauce out of my carry on luggage and put it into checked luggage when leaving Dominica last month, Also considered a weapon! But they let me carry on a cricket bat...go figure!

#123740 - 06/19/06 01:07 PM Re: Can we take home shells, etc?
SeaDreams Offline
Yep - I got a chuckle from the same situation... our conchs were safely put away, but another person on the flight carried on a big ole walking stick he'd purchased.
My reality check bounced.

#123741 - 06/19/06 01:13 PM Re: Can we take home shells, etc?
deacon+ Offline
I had conchs,rum,and Marie Sharps in suitcase and customs never opened my bag. I also carried on 2 walking sticks and my cain, never given a second look. Must be lucky.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 35 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,632 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,697 Topics
461,210 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.