Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#123801 06/19/06 01:17 PM
G
OP Offline
G
I try to try new places when I finally have time off, but AC got in my blood in a big way, so I'm heading back in late August.

Last time, I flew Tropic from BZE but I have read about discounts on Maya, esp the cash discounts. Couldn't find that info on the web site.

Any advice for saving on flights?

#123802 06/19/06 03:12 PM
I once found a 10% discount for a RT ticket on Maya, but then it was just a couple of dollars less than Tropic and my cousins who live there on the island think that Tropic is the best option when there's no more than a few dollars difference. Then once I suggested I take a water taxi to save money but, again, my cousins convinced me that the time and comfort of the boat did not equal the cost of the flight. I'm anxious to see the response you get from others on the board because I, too, want to return to the island as often as I can.

Good luck!

Be a pal, save a Dal.
#123803 06/19/06 03:23 PM
The water taxi is cheaper but takes a good 1 1/2 hours to get to the island, opposed to taking the puddle jumper which is only about 20 minutes. Take the puddle jumper... it's worth the money and the time you'll save.

#123804 06/19/06 05:16 PM
We used to fly Tropic, but it seems that Mayan Air has better planes. Well, at least they seem newer and cleaner. And, the pilots have a headset instead of a walkie talkie, and they sometimes have co-pilots, where Tropic have never had a co-pilot, and they use hand held walkie talkies. I don't think there is any difference in price, and either one is capable of taking you from point A to point B. But, if I'm going to pay the same for the ride, I'd just as soon go with the one that feels a bit more professional. And, as an added bonus, Mayan Air gives you the safety talk prior to take off, and Tropic Air just takes off. But again, both have gotten me to SP safely, and the pilots, ticket agents and baggage handlers are wonderful with both airlines.

Live so that when you arise in the A.M, Satan shudders & says..
'Oh sh t..she's awake!'
#123805 06/19/06 05:31 PM
I used Tropic and have nothing bad to say. I hate to fly but for an unexpected bank in fight it was great. Smooth landing and take off. My planes were clean and they helped both myself and Dad getting on and off. Since we don't move that well it we were extremely greatfull.

#123806 06/19/06 07:01 PM
Another example of how information on this message board can be helpfull or totally inacurate.

Sun&sand: you are an example of the inacurate.

#123807 06/19/06 09:11 PM
M
M
Sun&Sand, you commented that
"And, as an added bonus, Mayan Air gives you the safety talk prior to take off, and Tropic Air just takes off."
I'd argue that there's not a whole lot of added bonus in the safety talk. I kind of like just jumping in (maybe in the co-pilot's seat) and taking off! Maybe it's my devil may care attitude that I have about once a year!

#123808 06/19/06 09:27 PM
T
T
BY -- it is jsut personal preference. I have ridden in both and like them.

Go to generl chat to take my poll!!

#123809 06/20/06 04:45 AM
ByWarren, this was MY OPINION, and not supposed to be "accurate". Opinions are just that, my take on the airline. I only think that Maya Air has the nicer planes. BOth offer great service. So, why are you trying to start something? Geez.. I didn't know your opinion is the only one that counts. And, I have flown in almost every kind of small aircraft, and feel that I can offer a little bit to others who have never flown LBF's. If it is a first time flight, the safety talk is good. I have flown in the co-pilots seat and couldn't see squat out the windows, cause I'm short. Maybe someone taller would enjoy it more. In any event, sorry it anyone took offense. Not meant to slam either of the airlines.

Live so that when you arise in the A.M, Satan shudders & says..
'Oh sh t..she's awake!'
#123810 06/20/06 08:18 AM
JZB Offline
The last few times I was on a Tropic flight, they did give a safety talk. I do believe this is a fairly new routine. Often when you see someone in the copilot seat here, it is the experienced pilot and the guy flying the plane is the guy in training. I always fly Tropic. They may be a few dollars more expensive, but their staff is top notch and always try to be accommodating. Just my opinion.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.