Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
OP Offline
One thing I've missed on my first two visits is a good hot tamale - the shredded-pork-in-corn-meal-wrapped-in-corn-husk kind, for any of those readers with less-than-pure thoughts. Any suggestions? I'm more interested in the places with casual local flavor - like Papi's. And while I'm always reading about the street vendors, I mostly saw them selling the kind of touristy souvenirs that I don't have much interest in, not food. The only food vendor I did enjoy while I was there was the fruit lady - and we all (those who have regularly read the message board the last couple of months) know how that turned out. Do most of the food street vendors stay in the same place all the time? And is there any way to identify certain vendors? I'm looking forward to a lively response, so bring it on!

Be a pal, save a Dal.
SWF found a different type of tamale at Celi's. It's not what we're used to in the states but dang good! It has a chicken leg in it... different but GOOD!!

Also, the BBQ at the Church on Sat. (Lion's Den I believe) is the best street BBQ, IMO.

Late night taco, just outside Jaguar's, is goooooooooooood!

Elvi's Kitchen makes tamales wrapped in banana leaf.....I think this is what you are talking about. They may run it as a daily special....not sure if it is on the menu all the time.

Change your Latitude
Right, wrapped in a banana leaf. Good to know that they have it at Elvi's as well.

I'm not sure if Celi's has it all the time. For some reason I'm thinking only a few days a week.

TQ- you found BBQ at the Church on Saturday?? hmmm I thought they only passed out cheap wine & skimpy little wafers!

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
What is that place across from Coconets? Coulda fooled me, there is ALWAYS gospel type music coming out of that place!

See, I am now the one giving out incorrect information... it's been too long since my last trip down - I'm due for another. wink

The tamales I have found are somewhat interesting in that they have bones. You are looking for "tamalitos" little tamales in banana leaves. I was lucky enough to experience homemade ones on a few special occasions.

I have never seen them for sale though but ask around.

They also call them "ducanus" (spelled phonetically) so try asking for that. I think the tamales are wrapped in banana leaves and ducanus in corn husks, but it could be the other way around. Both great! Plentiful around San Ignacio if you are going to be on the mainland.

The food street vendors are lined up along side the central park but I did hear they are trying to relocate them elsewhere once the park construction is complete. Maybe a local can provide more info if this has already happened, or where they will be relocated to.

L
L
do you eat the banana leaf &/or corn husk? or is this just a wrapper?

Len
OP Offline
lenox862: in Texas we don't eat the corn husk, but I have no idea about the banana leaf as I thought you could eat them - good question and I'm hoping someone will educate us both.

TQ: (love your flag)- I haven't been on the board long but always enjoy your posts as they are usually full of good info - but a chicken leg? Oh, I'm definitely checking that out on my next trip.

RobertE and Babara K: thanks for the terminology lesson as it could be why I didn't easily find them before.

klcman: my catholic church also serves those skimpy wafers in the morning ;o) but come noontime they can put out a real feast so don't count them out. I've heard of Coconets (at first I thought you meant Coconuts) but I don't know where that is so more info from whomever would be appreciated.

I've only been there one Saturday night and, unfortunately, I missed the Lion's Club BBQ. I have a friend at home who is big into Lion's Club here and he wanted me to check out their group - hope I make it on my 2/07 trip.

shuffles: I've enjoyed everything I've ever had at Elvi's and now I've got another reason to visit them.

I appreciate everyone's response and look forward to even more.

Be a pal, save a Dal.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.