Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#124775 07/13/06 08:02 AM
R
OP Offline
R
I searched everywhere and came up with the idea to spend a week or two in Ambergris; coming down end of July and doin' the Festival. I know no one there, never been there and everything I see online looks doable. Question? Lodging...not wanting to send a grand to someone somewhere I never been; is an idea to make a short reservation at like Lil's and then get a place when I get there and actually see it a good or bad idea? Question? Single guy, early 50s...just stay home in the evenings or actually go out; meaning is it all youngens down there or what? Looks like a great forum and look forward to hearing from you...Thanks*

You Are What You Eat
#124776 07/13/06 08:27 AM
Welcome to the board.
Not all "youngens" down there, a good assembly of personalities all the way up the line. Friendly folks and a laid back atmosphere, without being dead. Pretty much something for everyone. If you are worried about sending your money to a foreign country without any assurances, there are a number of US travel companies that book on AC and are very good (try www.barbsbelize, for one). If you want to kick back at night and just watch the ocean and have a drink, get a place to stay on the beach. If you want to be close to everything, walking distance, get something close to town. It is not a hive of activity like some vacation spots, but always someone out and about. Check the lodging section, or get with a travel agency who has been there and can give you some specifics. Good food, good people, fantastic atmosphere.

Been there, done that, the washing machine ate the T-shirt
#124777 07/13/06 09:51 AM
P
P
Good advice, Bobber. You should know...

I'll be down at the end of July as well to see some friends and drink some beers. There's plenty of nightlife if you want it and plenty of peace if that's what you're looking for. The festival is a pretty laid back affair but brings in folks from all over Central America. The hotels get pretty full so I'd make a reservation now. If it's your first time on AC, stay at the north or south end of San Pedro town (a condo at Banana Beach or Paradise Villas in my opinion but I like to have a kitchen even when travelling solo)... but don't get too far either way. Distances can be deceptive, especially with all the rain making the roads impassable. Make sure you can walk into town and stumble home.

The people are great, gringos and locals alike. Great mix of ages and backgrounds and very, very social.

I've never really heard of anyone getting screwed by a hotel operator on AC but I can personally vouch for the lovely folks at BB and Paradise Villas (US owned and operated at http://www.belizeparadisevillas.com )

Most of all, relax...have fun!

#124778 07/13/06 11:06 AM
Hi Steph. End of July,hmm. Lucky you, I will be in Toronto wink

Been there, done that, the washing machine ate the T-shirt
#124779 07/13/06 07:18 PM
M
M
We are going to S.P. on Saturday, our 16 th trip, The Costa Maya festival is a good time to go,lots of people out and lots to do.....or not, that to me is one of the great things about S.P. you can be very busy or do nothing,I am looking forward to watching the sun come up over the ocean, watching the boats go by, and just hanging out, we stay at Banana Beach, a great spot, nice staff, have stayed at Mayan Princess, great if you want to be in town, Sheila and Rusty are great people,I'm sure most people have their favourite spot,if you would like to meet for a drink let me know, maybe I can answer some questions for you.

#124780 07/14/06 12:21 AM
If you don't need a pool and don't care about well developed grounds around your accommodations, I will second the recommendation for Mayan Princess. That place is great and in an excellent location, especially for singles. But if you like to meet people that are staying at your hotel, it's not the best place for that.

You might also like the Blue Tang, if you got the right room.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

#124781 07/14/06 03:45 AM
Try the Banana Beach. Great place with two pools and good restraunt great management and staff. Have fun.

#124782 07/14/06 10:56 AM
X
Xoe Offline
X
I stayed at Mata Rocks, vacationing by myself, and liked it very much.

#124783 07/14/06 12:07 PM
R
OP Offline
R
I want to thank everyone for replying. Fantastic! Any news about bugs, critters and the like this time of year?

You Are What You Eat
#124784 07/17/06 09:49 AM
Gee, RM, whatever could you be referring to? :p

Be a pal, save a Dal.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 338 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.