Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
JZB Offline OP
OP Offline
I am currently sitting here looking out my window at what is supposed to be a fishing guide with a boat full of tourists. He has positioned his boat so he can cast at my dock and is pulling out fish after fish of what is barely big enough to be one fish finger on your plate! There go a couple dozen fish that will never grow up.

I can understand that you may feel that if your tour guide is doing it, it must be ok. Wrong! Take a stand and save our fish. If you are not going to eat it (whether for its size or you just fish because of the sport), throw it back! Let someone else enjoy the pleasure of catching it. By hiring that guide, that fish is yours and you can do with it what you please, so please do the right thing.

Also, make your fishing guide earn his money and take you to some real fishing spots and not the artificial reefs under someones dock!

I'm sorry for my rantings but I just had to get it out. I will sign off now because I have to go and make sure there is no rusting fish hooks with rotting sardine at the end of my dock that my puppy will think is a nice treat.

Rope/net off an area 15-20ft around the end of the dock...very hard to fish close to the dock because the hook will get caught up in the rope or the net.

Do you know who the guide is? If he is one on ours at fishingsanpedro.com, he won't be for long.

[email protected] to book your fishing trips.
S
S
Post a decent sized sign at the end of the dock that reads:

"Fish Sanctuary
Please Do Not Fish"

Pretty sure that most tourists will say something if anyone stops there. If not lob some frozen water balloons from the top floor wink

Seriously, I know how much effort you put into that habitat and to see some cheap ass that doesn't have the skills or patience to fish like a real man does...

Lob some frozen ballons, Go Simon

S
S
Good stand,Steve

People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care
K
K
well, if he's catching sardines, the little guys are already all grown up, and hardly destined for the table.. Something just doesn't sit right with me when somebody declares a portion of the ocean "theirs". The public beaches are already tough to access from the roads. I believe and understand the private ownership of the piers, but the constructions with the gates have made walking the beaches limited. Sure I'll get cr** for this but, oh well.

Flyfishing my way through mid-life crisis.
S
S
"He has positioned his boat so he can cast at my dock and is pulling out fish after fish"

1) One does not usually cast for Sardines.
2) That's not a great location for Sardines anyway, there are plenty of other areas within minutes.
3) JZB has spent time and effort to create an artificial reef to provide habitat for juvenile fish. Which is great considering the habitat damage being done along the shoreline, maybe it should be a requirement for all developers.
4) The so-called guide would have been fine to show his guests the fish up close without catching them.
5) Real guides don't need to fish artificial reefs, real guides know how to catch fish without "cheating".

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
6)Real guides build their own artificial reefs.

JZB Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for your thoughts everyone. I don't like the idea of netting off the end of my dock because I don't think it looks very nice. Plus I want the tour boats to have easy access to pick up my guests.

All I want is the fishing guides to show a little respect for an environment I'm trying to create, a little respect to the tourist paying $250 or more, and to realize that there is not a never ending supply of fish in the ocean.

Its not baitfish they're after. I don't think they would fish for bait fish for half the morning. I don't have a problem with guys coming with nets to get sardines (although I rarely have sardines). I just wish they would respect my no fishing sign and find another dock.

Steve, no they are not your guys. (Although I can name boats.)

Simon, I like your idea, however we already found out you can get into trouble by just practicing your golf swing on the beach with floating golf balls while someone is out there fishing. :p

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.