Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#126651 08/27/06 06:11 PM
S
SFJeff Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hello all...

Posting this mssg on behalf of our neighbor. Looking for ANY information regarding a missing dog. The dog is a GREAT DANE (no doubt the only one on the island, if not in the country.) He answers to the name of "King", is as gentle/sweet as can be and as big as a small horse. King lives just south of Costa Maya and has been missing since MONDAY. He likes to wander the beach and, with as friendly a disposition as can be, would most likely easily follow someone. There is an relatively reliable report that he was seen walking with two children/teenagers in the Tres Cocos area Monday afternoon/evening.

It's feared that King may have been taken off the island.

'asking for ANY information that will lead to his safe return. Reward offered by owner.

Pic hopefully posted soon... King is rather easily recognized though...

Thanks.

[Linked Image]

My prayers are for King's safe return...for a dog lover, these negative traits about the island are so discouraging.

Be a pal, save a Dal.
Y
Y
We can only hope "King" didn't know the way to the Yacht Club.

Find him yet?

My guess is a croc has got the dog

why the negative thoughts...

well at any rate keep positive because you never know!!

negative thoughts-it is a fact of life that we have too many crocs that attack dogs-our problem is that crocs are a protected species(I believe we should start culling them)-very negative accusing people of stealing the dog

i don't recall anyone accusing anyone of anything all that was said was that it was feared... not someone did...

yeah it is a fact of life but it doesn't hurt for someone to want to find their dog... would you just give up like that if a family member went missing and just say "oh well maybe a croc got at them"... prob not... let ppl be hopeful and come to their own terms with their loss...

That dog would scare the crap out of a croc. You should be more carful peter , Some people think of there pets as family and could get very angry with your statement. You could find yourself in front of a croc someday making statements like that. eek

I want to be just like Capt Jeff when I grow up!
JZB Offline
I'm certain the owner knows that there is a possibility that his dog could have met up with a croc. I think this is a slim possibility as this dog is the size of a small pony and it would have been one huge ass croc. What is more likely is that this dog is being held by someone or stolen. I have heard a couple times over the years that unusual (for Belize) pure bred dogs have been stolen and sold. It wouldn't surprise me especially if King is the type to just wander off and play with anyone friendly.
Peter, have a little compassion. What if Charlie went missing for a couple days and someone came to you and said she was eaten by a croc? Although you would know it may be unlikely, it would still break your heart.

After having watched the crocs, up close, for many years now (we had one that lived under and beside our pier in San Pablo, I can say that I have yet to see one that was scared of a dog, person or even a large dump truck. There are 5 good sized crocs in the WASA pond now. I keep my dog in our fenced yard to keep her safe. There is also a croc that swims by our beach each morning - so we don't swim in the sea right off shore any more.

King is a lovely, sweet tempered pup. He could quite easily have wandered off, following kids down the beach. He could also have met a brave croc.

We are all keeping an eye out hoping we will see King so he can be returned home. Scott must be terribly heart broken.

BTW Peter is probably one of the most protective pet owners I know - he loves his Charlie.

And yes JZB pedigree dogs are stolen often and resold on the mainland. It would be worthwhile checking in areas on the mainland. There are very few Great Danes in country and only a few families would consider owning one - imagine the food bill, and the doggie mines in the back yard!

S
SFJeff Offline OP
OP Offline
S
...for what it's worth...

King would often wander the beachfront... never saw him/knew him to wander into the lagoon. The number of crocs on the beachfront side is, I believe, rather limited. The owner of King also made mention that a few people had (rather persistently) tried to convnce him to breed the dog. Given that San Pedro is a relatively small island, and that people here are incredibly proficient in the passtime of gossip, I would think it very difficult to keep a dog this size under cover on the Caye.... My guess is he was taken to the mainland... that said, anyone who hears chit chat about so-and-so whose neighbor's uncle's cousin just got a HUGE dog, please take note...

thanks.

Best wishes for a speedy return of King to his "People". I am sure that a lot of people are keeping an eye out for him.

I want to be just like Capt Jeff when I grow up!
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Let's hope King never ventured near the Yacht Club.

Y
Y
Hey P2-- You're 11 posts 2 late-- But if the shoe fits......

I used to see King down on my beach a lot - can't recall the last time, but he did have atendency to plop down and stay.
Have been watching carefully, but sadly my guess is that he's bee taken and sold somewhere on the mainland - you may wish to contact the vets in Corozal, Cayo and Belize City. Thai, the Rendezvous dog was taken as a pup and two weeks of diligence later he was found in Orange Walk and brought home. Keep looking. I will do the same. Alas times have changed, and allowing your dog to free-roam is to put the dog itself at risk. We finally fenced our yard - hated to have to do it, but in the end it's the best thing for everybody under today's circumstances.

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Shows how carefully I read these threads, Yakivet, but depressing to see that several minds work the same way.

Oh man, I was hoping by now there would be some good news on King.....what a bummer. Hope and pray you get him back....and keep him in his yard so you don't lose a family member again. I sure don't want to sound mean, but boy, that is one hard lesson....I'm so sorry, and again, hope you get him back.

S
S
I'm sure you've already done this but try contacting:

Dr. Michael DeShield

Tel: 011-501-224-4794
Fax: 011-501-224-5230
E-mail: [email protected]

and see if he can't put out the word to all the vets in the country.

S
S
interesting someone logging onto my office computer who is not me

not the first time........

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
S
S
Netta at Sun Diver has seen a great dane runing through the property for the past week. She is going to try and capture it.

S
S
This is good news,I pray this is King !

People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care
WAS KING EVER FOUND? confused

Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love Truly, Laugh uncontrollably.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 152 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,029
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.