Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Frank, Peter and I went thru several southern villages today, Blue Creek, Big Falls, Medina Bank, San Marcos, and several others. Folks are getting by, but things are tough. Lots of roofs off, lots of trees on the hills and around folks' homes are blown down. Tarps are very prevalent covering up so folks can stay dry. The damage to the jungle is intense. We spoke to the village alcades, and are working in many of these communities to build homes.

Folks are ready to build they want to get cracking. the Mennonites are doing incredible work, led by David Stoltz of Punta Gorda. We are funding work crews that are at local sawmills cutting timber and building trusses. Working their butts off I am here to tell you. Such incredible people, doing such amazing work, it is truly an honor to help fund their efforts. Really proud to be working with them. Never been prouder to work with anyone in my life.

We are doing great work I assure you. Posted are a couple photos of the homes, I will post more when i return. The mostly Maya folks living there are happy to get the help. If we can raise another $12,000 dollars, with the matching funds from the Red Cross we can get to our goal of 200 houses. So remember, every dollar you give is worth double.

If you were here, you would feel what i feel. That whatever i do with a dollar back home, these folks will get it to go a heck of a lot further than I would. No money was ever spent more worthwhile. Lots of devastation, but the image that stays in the forefront of my mind was the faces of the family that was living along the road under a 5 foot tall tarp. 6 people, including four children, huddling under a tarp with mud and shattered trees all around, their home totally blown down. No trace of their home. The tops of all their heads less than 8 inches from the tarp. Lets give them a Christmas. They need it so bad.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Marty (edited 10-26-2001).]

Thanks Marty,

We have enough funds to build at least 5 more homes, and that is before we get there.. See us at the Benefit at the Hideaway.. Thanks, Rick

Great pictures and stirring report. I had a hard time visualizing the size of the houses and am very pleased that they look substantial.

My husband is now in Seine Bight and he reports similar scenes of people living on the edge. I hope, as some others have expressed, that the peninsula and particularly the villages there will be helped similarly.

S
S
If this doesn't inspire all of us to dig a little bit deeper, I don't know what does!!

Susan Guberman-Garcia, Attorney at Law. Phone: 510-792-2639
Fax/Voicemail:: 510-405-2016 Email: [email protected]
L
LV Offline
L
to CKocian:

I have been in touch with Frank and Marty - Frank's crew is offering to assist Seine Bight with housing. Someone from Seine Bight needs to contact Frank to get going, they will not arrive with help on their own. They need to know what people there want. I am in the US and have been trying to contact people in Seine Bight to get this started...but haven't had any contact there..so perhaps your husband might be able to get someone from Seine Bight in touch with Frank. Or e-mail me and I will assist, since Frank and Marty are traveling today. My e-mail address: [email protected]. Also if you would please post a report of what your husband has described about conditions in Seine Bight, I know I would appreciate any news, as I have only gotten info from Placencia village and am concerned about folks I know in Seine Bight....especially wondering about water supply and what if anything is already being done to house the homeless. And what can be done from Colorado to help.

Thanks,

Laura

B
B
You might try contacting Steve Christensen at PBS.

Steve has many interests in Seign Bight and a close relationship with the village council.

Steve also take a special interest in the well being of the people in that area.

e-mail [email protected]
Cell 14-8506

Steve is located at the airport between Placencia and SB

S
S
Hi,

Indeed Seine Bight needs a lot of assistance. At the moment it is difficult to communicate with them other than on the cellular service. The right person to contact for any information and the needs of the village is the Chairman of the Village Council who is Mr. Leonard Williams. His cellular no. is 18-6058 . I have made contact with him and he is aware of your concerns but knows not how to get in touch with you. Internet service is not running yet, so if you can please give him a call.

[This message has been edited by sbight (edited 10-28-2001).]

[This message has been edited by sbight (edited 10-28-2001).]

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 132 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,030
Members20,470
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.