Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Don't knock the crocs! A warning from the Govt. http://www.reporter.bz/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=1472&Itemid=2

Friday, 06 October 2006

The Forest Department has issued a warning to certain people in San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, that it's a crime under Belize law to feed crocodiles in the lagoon behind the town.

There have been recent reports that certain tourist guides have been putting the crocodiles on display for the benefit of tourists, by offering the animals food and then taking them captive when they emerge from the water.

The Department notes that such acts are illegal under the Wildlife Protection Act, Chapter 220 of the Laws of Belize.

The law sets a maximum penalty of $1000.00 for every offence of disturbing, harming or killing any bird or animal protected under the Act.

The law empowers the courts to demand a fine and to imprison the guilty party for a period of six months for every offence.

Feeding the crocodiles which inhabit the lagoon is regarded as a form of disturbance of the natural habitat because the crocs develop a Don't knock the crocs (e) dependency on humans for their food.

This dependency creates a potentially dangerous situation which could lead to attacks on humans by hungry crocodiles looking for food. People who live near the lagoon and others who go to or pass by the area are especially at risk.

The department further seeks the public's assistance in the removal of crocs which stray into populated areas and urges the public to respect the laws that protect the animals and help to preserve human life.

Please tell me what is going to happen now-the crocs are used to being fed everyday-maybe they will start eating people-personally I think we have quite enough crocs in Belize and we should terminate all of them who reside on Ambergris Caye-let them live on totally deserted islands -the ones that we have humanised put them up against a wall and shoot them

L
L
People certainly caused this croc problem, but why shoot them Pedro? Too bad Steve Irwin isn't still around - he would probably have some type of solution.

Croc pizza?

I will start working on croc pizza which will be available by monday
LaurieMar-it appears that crocs will always come back to where they grew up-this is why it is so dangerous to feed them and then not-personally I think I will go into business making croc shoes-this will take a little longer than the pizza

Pedro- Please let me know when you go croc hunting...I'd like to take some pics for the foto of the day.

L
L
If you are going to do croc pizza, you probably can call it croc pizza with whole chicken pieces stuffing. That would be the special the night before I arrive. Please order up a mushroom, garlic and pepperoni pizza for me! Add a dash of red pepper and some parmesan cheese and a Belikin too. Thank you!

Me thinks the crocs should be allowed to bite the strange people who can't leave them alone. They were here before the pizza-bars.

...crock's are my best neighbors.

Gone fishing!!
Pedro, maybe make croc sachels or backpacks.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 198 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,029
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.