Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
The cultures aren't that different. Many of my clients are under the age of majority, have children and receive very little, if any, support from their parents. That doesn't make them adults. And certainly not in the eyes of the law.

Sure is a different culture here!
Trying to control the demand for croc baiting entertainment will work about as well as controlling the demand side of illegal drugs.

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Well, Jessie, as usual, we disagree. I commented that the cultures are not that different in terms of 16-year-olds. I stand by my comment.
I'm always amazed when the first solution one reaches for is punitive. It says a lot about one's lack of creativity, not to mention lack of compassion. How long has the $1,000 fine been in effect? Right, and how's that workin' out for ya?!
And I also completely disagree that the demand can't be curbed. My experience has been that most tourists have a deep appreciation of the island and if they knew the negative consequences of participating in feeding the crocs many, if not most, would not participate. But it's much easier to say an idea won't work than to actually try it.

Jessie, education is the key. Just as many divers used to molest the undersea wildlife for their own personal sensation, most have learned that this is bad practice. Due to have been educated, they don't do it anymore and strongly discourage others.

So when it comes to crocodile feeding, education will also be the key. The tourists need to be educated and law is right, the word needs to get out on a much broader basis than it is now. Perhaps notices in all of the hotel rooms along with all the other tourist paraphernalia, on the back of the room doors, on the notice boards in lobbies, a write up in the Belize Tourism Guide, handouts where tourists would normally go for info on tours, Seaduced/Tanisha/Dive Shops, etc. should help with the distribution of education in this regard, etc. etc.

It has also been my perception that Belize imposes fines for all manner of offences and often, those fined cannot pay and end up spending a little time in the clink. This doesn't seem to be the best way to handle things either. It is not my intention here to impose my cultural beliefs or ways onto Belizeans. I just would hope that those of you that live there and have some influence, would be willing to consider alternatives that are for the betterment of all.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

B
B
Sitting at Jets Bar waiting for the flight home on Sat. Guy starts bragging to some single girls traveling alone about the million dollar homes he is building in Placencia. Says he has his own property on the lagoon where he feeds a saltwater croc. Interjecting myself into the conversation,I asked why he would do that? He answered he wanted to keep it around his property and that the local kids were "teasing it and scaring it off". Since I was already in between my 2nd and 3rd rum punch (after Jet ran out of beer)I decided not to bother trying to argue how stupid he was....but here is a prime example.

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Gee, SS, we almost always agree! wink

Well you're all welcome to come on down and work to change things to your way of handling this matter. You can start by convincing the Government of Belize to change the Wildlife Protection Act to eliminate the punishment of violators. Then you can raise funds to post notices in all the hotel rooms, after convincing the hotel operators to allow that. And you can develop alternate income for the 16 year old croc guides.
Good Luck with all that!

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Actually, Jesse, those all sound like good ideas. I'd certainly be willing to aid in printing up a few hundred flyers for distribution to the hotels and resorts. You live there; remind me again, what exactly is it that you've done to assist and found effective?

I've publicized the problem in San Pedro Daily (see todays issue about a dog that was attacked) at every step of the way and discussed this with town leaders many times. I try to do my part but at a local non-tourist level.

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Yes, and the articles are great, for the relatively few that they reach. But have the methods you've tried been effective? and if not, why are you so deadset against trying something different and so quick to criticize any idea that's not your own?

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 262 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.