Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#128943 - 11/01/06 09:05 PM Hep A vaccination needed??
Chef Andrew Offline
Trying to figure out if we should get the Hepatitis A vaccination to come to AC. Do most folks get them? Is it a risk on the island? Anyone know of people that got it?

#128944 - 11/01/06 10:02 PM Re: Hep A vaccination needed??
JeanH Offline
From what I've read Hepatitis A is endemic in all of Central America. For that matter it's fairly common in the states. Several states now require it as a childhood immunization. I'd say get the immunization, and if you haven't received Hep B, you can get that in the same injection. I'm sure you're unlikely to get Hep A during your visit. But,better safe than sorry.

#128945 - 11/01/06 10:12 PM Re: Hep A vaccination needed??
ida_y_vuelta Offline
i got all my shots before a trip to the caribbean a few years ago... it's Jean said better safe than sorry... u just never know!

but talk to ur doc... he/she will recommend something... and it depends on when the last time u had ur shots or if ever...

#128946 - 11/02/06 01:43 AM Re: Hep A vaccination needed??
Kra-Z-K Offline

#128947 - 11/02/06 01:43 AM Re: Hep A vaccination needed??
Kra-Z-K Offline
I would get one anyways, not because you are coming to AC though.

#128948 - 11/02/06 07:52 AM Re: Hep A vaccination needed??
wonderwoman Offline
Hmmm, don't know of anyone who has had Hep A here.......
Can't find my plane...

#128949 - 11/02/06 09:46 AM Re: Hep A vaccination needed??
Amanda Syme Offline
I know quite a few folks that have hep A. You can get ill for up to a year or so. And worse than anything - you can't drink alcohol!!!

Here you have to order the shots, and they have to have enough orders to provide the vaccine. I seem to remember it is a series of shots.

I believe all children here now take the hep B shot.

All types of hepatitis can be lethal.

#128950 - 11/02/06 05:54 PM Re: Hep A vaccination needed??
I contracted Hep A in Egypt 20 years ago and believe me - you don't want it. You can drink alcohol but it has a strange effect on you. Worse are nuts, at least in the early stages - a month after I was discharged from hospital (5 weeks in isolation) I ate half a walnut. Tasted wonderful, but later that day I experienced all the symptoms I had had with the hepatitis in the first place. It was days before I felt well again.

The other important point is that I had had Hep A immunisation but caught it anyway. Many immunisations do not give 100% protection or anything like it. You still need to be careful what you eat and drink. Another that gives only partial protection is malaria.

#128951 - 11/02/06 06:21 PM Re: Hep A vaccination needed??
Kra-Z-K Offline
Originally posted by wonderwoman:
Hmmm, don't know of anyone who has had Hep A here.......
wow! really? I know several.

It is such a simple shot to get and then you are vacinated, worth it. I also got the Hep B which is super important and the yellow fever (for other travels)

#128952 - 11/02/06 06:57 PM Re: Hep A vaccination needed??
LaraTravelBelize Offline
can you get the shots on the island? i didnt get any shots....
Romantic Travel Belize

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (Marty), 54 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,635 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,718 Topics
461,261 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.