Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#128943 11/01/06 09:05 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Trying to figure out if we should get the Hepatitis A vaccination to come to AC. Do most folks get them? Is it a risk on the island? Anyone know of people that got it?

J
J
From what I've read Hepatitis A is endemic in all of Central America. For that matter it's fairly common in the states. Several states now require it as a childhood immunization. I'd say get the immunization, and if you haven't received Hep B, you can get that in the same injection. I'm sure you're unlikely to get Hep A during your visit. But,better safe than sorry.

i got all my shots before a trip to the caribbean a few years ago... it's Jean said better safe than sorry... u just never know!

but talk to ur doc... he/she will recommend something... and it depends on when the last time u had ur shots or if ever...

//ambergriscaye.com/message/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/4/t/011996.html#000000

//ambergriscaye.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/ubb/get_topic/f/4/t/011612.html

I would get one anyways, not because you are coming to AC though.

Hmmm, don't know of anyone who has had Hep A here.......

Can't find my plane...
I know quite a few folks that have hep A. You can get ill for up to a year or so. And worse than anything - you can't drink alcohol!!!

Here you have to order the shots, and they have to have enough orders to provide the vaccine. I seem to remember it is a series of shots.

I believe all children here now take the hep B shot.

All types of hepatitis can be lethal.

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
I contracted Hep A in Egypt 20 years ago and believe me - you don't want it. You can drink alcohol but it has a strange effect on you. Worse are nuts, at least in the early stages - a month after I was discharged from hospital (5 weeks in isolation) I ate half a walnut. Tasted wonderful, but later that day I experienced all the symptoms I had had with the hepatitis in the first place. It was days before I felt well again.

The other important point is that I had had Hep A immunisation but caught it anyway. Many immunisations do not give 100% protection or anything like it. You still need to be careful what you eat and drink. Another that gives only partial protection is malaria.

Originally posted by wonderwoman:
Hmmm, don't know of anyone who has had Hep A here.......
wow! really? I know several.

It is such a simple shot to get and then you are vacinated, worth it. I also got the Hep B which is super important and the yellow fever (for other travels)

can you get the shots on the island? i didnt get any shots....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 359 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.