Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#129026 - 11/03/06 05:27 PM Bert Forman passes away
Marty Offline
Bert Forman, pioneering Belizean, dead at 78

Friday, 03 November 2006

By Angel Novelo - Staff Reporter

Bert Jay Forman, one of Belizeís pioneers in the fishing industry, passed away on Saturday last October 28, at the Karl Heusner Memorial Hospital in Belize City. He was 78.

A number of family members and friends, including veteran fishermen, gathered for funeral services at the St. Joseph Roman Catholic Church on Wednesday to pay their last respect.

Bert, as he was affectionately known, died around 5:45 Saturday morning, some 39 years after he was first diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis at age 39.

He was born on the island of San Pedro Ambergris Caye on July 18, 1928 to George Dagna Forman and Helen Miriam Menzies Forman.

He started his fishing career from youth. His family moved to Belize City after his father passed away when he was a mere boy at nine.

After just six months as a fulltime fisherman, his vision of a thriving industry led him to join the Northern Fishermen Co-operative. He was registered as the co-opís 54th member.

As time passed by, he became an influential force within the industry and encouraged many of his fishing buddies to join the cooperative.

He also took advantage of opportunities by acquiring more boats and lobster traps.

One of his most famous boats was the Cry Baby, which he cherished and used to take his family and friends on boating trips.

Before his illness with Multiple Sclerosis, which left him disabled for the rest of his life, Forman acquired his own island off English Caye and named it Formanís Caye.

His illness did not deter him from his love of the sea and his passion to go fishing.

He continued his frequent trips out to sea, despite doctors had given him only 15 years to live.

He married his childhood sweetheart, Teresita Small-Forman 54 years ago and the union has produced nine children.

They are Orlando (deceased), Bruce, Gary, Bert, Victor, Geraldine, Norman, Deborah and Julian. Their adopted daughter, is Sharlene.

#129027 - 11/03/06 10:35 PM Re: Bert Forman passes away
Axeman Offline
Did he own Coral Reef Divers? Any relation To Clive?

#129028 - 11/03/06 11:39 PM Re: Bert Forman passes away
armandogonzalez Offline
clives grand uncle

#129029 - 11/05/06 02:17 AM Re: Bert Forman passes away
Axeman Offline
Wow..real sorry to hear that...If you see Clive tell him I will see him in april with his Bob Marley Flag...he asked for one the last time I saw him...
My condolences as well...
Thanks

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 43 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,672 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,021 Topics
462,212 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.