Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#129562 11/13/06 11:53 AM
M
mobow Offline OP
OP Offline
M
My wife and I are planning a two week trip to San Pedor in May/June. While there we have decided why not get scuba certified. Any recommendtations? Thanx for all your help. By reading the post on this board I feel like I have already been to the island once and can't wait to return for the first time. keith

#129563 11/13/06 12:22 PM
I know there are some good dive shops out there, but in my opinion, I'm giving a plug to Protech. They are on the docks of the Belize Yacht Club. I really enjoyed diving with them. Very professional and personable too! Israel is a really cool divemaster. I think that if you were to have any jitters about the open water certification, he would be the one to put your fears to rest. JMHO.

Take the road less traveled
#129564 11/13/06 12:56 PM
JZB Offline
I would recommend doing your book work and written tests (first half of certification)with a dive shop in your neighborhood first then when you are in Belize, you only need to do the actual open water dives to complete your certification. When you are here, even for 2 wks, you will find it hard to focus on the studying part. Chances are will be to anxious about getting in the ocean. And who wants to spend their vacation reading boring technical and stafety stuff?

#129565 11/13/06 02:09 PM
JZB, beat me to it.

For that matter, I'd recommend that you get fully certified at home, if at all possible.

This applies to all, after you have received your certification but haven't been diving for some time, always take a refresher lesson, before hitting the open seas. You want to keep on top of your skills.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

#129566 11/13/06 02:23 PM
you can do what JZB said and do dives here that you use for your cert. so do that book work there and come diving here!!!

#129567 11/13/06 02:34 PM
I got certified while i was there in may with Reef Adventures. My dive master was Ched. He was very knowledgable and patient. We did all the classroom instruction in the water, much more interesting than doing it at home in a classroom. He went over the hand signals for about 1/2 hour, until we were comfortable, then we decended into 10 ft deep water to practice proper breething techniques and as soon as were were ready we were able to do our first 30 ft dive. I would highly recommend to anyone getting there certification to do the whole thing while in belize. You can read each chapter on your own back at your hotel and answer the questions at the end of the chapter and then you quickly go over them the next day before getting into the water again.

Happiness is a voyage, not a destination....live & enjoy every moment....

~*~Ania~*~
#129568 11/13/06 02:58 PM
Nothing against Ched, cuz I think he's great, but this is your life we are talking about here.

IMNSHO no one should be taking something this serious with a grain of beach salt. Scuba is a safe sport, but only when done after proper training and proper retention and implementation of that training.

People learn and retain that learning better when it is taken over a bit more time, like the 6 week courses. I am not a proponent of the weekend courses either. Nor do I particularly care for resort courses.

The reason that I recommend that people complete their training at home is threefold. First, you will complete your training with the instructor with whom you have already been working. Second, if you learn to dive at home, considering where most of us live and the dive conditions near us, you will have had more exposure to worse conditions than you will likely encounter at your travel destination. Third, it's less expensive.

#129569 11/13/06 03:56 PM
JZB Offline
Originally posted by seashell:
Second, if you learn to dive at home, considering where most of us live and the dive conditions near us, you will have had more exposure to worse conditions than you will likely encounter at your travel destination.
I second that! Me and the MR got our certification in Lake Travis in Austin while it was flooding. By the time we surfaced the lake was 2 feet higher than when we went down. Needless to say, I was not hooked on diving after wearing a 5 ml wetsuit in 6 inch visibility with giant catfish mistaking my fingers for hotdogs. Our first ocean dive after that was tahiti. Talk about night and day. After Lake Travis, we were prepared for anything!

#129570 11/13/06 04:08 PM
JZB you are right when you talk about getting open water certified in a lake. I got mine 4 years ago at Medina lake during Mother's Day Weekend. It was cold and vis was about 6 ft. I swore I'd NEVER do a lake again. But I've done Travis and Canyon since then. I still stand on my first opinion though. I don't care for lakes. But you are right, if you can handle a lake and keep your wits about you, you can handle ANYTHING! But give me water you can see in!

Take the road less traveled
#129571 11/13/06 04:14 PM
As a former Dive instructor, as many other have said, do as much of it as you can at your home.

It will be a better expirence for you, you will have the option to get your own equipment (as much of as little as you want) and you will know how the equipment workd FOR YOU. Diving sucks if you have equipment that doesn't work... leaking mask? seems simple... Not at 60 foot... Yea, you will learn how to "fix" that problem, but after a couple of times, you'll wish you had good equipment.

You can do your open water check out dives in Belize with a simple referal from your local dive shop.

Support Ambergris Caye Emergency Rescue
The life we are trying to save may be a loved one of yours
#129572 11/13/06 05:00 PM
Being a retired Naui Inst. I agree with Seashell 100%, we did all our checkouts in a cold quarry with about 5-10 ft. visbility.
Diving in Ohio gets old real fast, but there's a lot to learn in the ocean also.

#129573 11/13/06 06:12 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
I'm with Protech, and I appreciate the plug! Israel is an excellent divemaster, but to learn to dive you need an instructor and we have several of those (including myself, if you draw the short straw!).

We'd be only too happy to teach you to dive, but I actually agree with JZB, Seashell et al - you have plenty of time to do some or even all of it at home, and that's what I'd recommend. You have four main options:-

1) Do it all at home. One of the lower cost options, and will be distinctly less fun than doing your open water dives down here. BUT it'll make you a better diver AND it'll mean you get to know a local dive shop well. Hopefully you'll do some non-holiday diving with them. This is not the easiest option but it is my preferred one. (even though it gives me no income!).

2) Do a "referral" course, doing everything except the four open water dives with a local dive shop and the actual dives down here. Almost as good as (1), but distinctly more costly.

3) Book your course with someone down here, but arrange to do all the "classroom" work remotely at home. Then do all the water work here (confined water sessions and dives) plus the final exam. So long as you actually do the work this is a good approach, and it's the same price as (4) (with us, at any rate).

4) Simply arrive here and arrange to do the entire course here. Necessarily this will eat significantly into your vacation, and even so will by reasons of time limitation not be as thorough as one of the above options could be.

Picking up on DitchDocDiver's point about equipment, please don't do what too many people do. which is to buy new gear and bring it here undived. You'd be amazed just how many people do that and find something doesn't work properly. The favourite problem is a mask that doesn't fit properly, but we've also seen regulators that are maladjusted out of the box and sometimes need remedial work that we can't do. Any gear you buy, get it from a local store (NOT the internet or mail order) and try it extensively on a money-back basis.

All this said, you've made the right decision to learn to dive, and however you do it we'll welcome you down here!

#129574 11/13/06 06:17 PM
Keith, you can't go wrong with Protech

#129575 11/13/06 07:09 PM
Glad to see the voice of reason here.....

27 years of diving have proven several things to me.

1. Test your gear before you go on vacation.
2. Don't dive a new area unless you have someone local with you.
3. GET YOUR CERT DONE IN THE STATES FIRST..cause once you do you'll have more time to dive in AC.

Open water dive certs ok there..takes a day or so but you'll be much more comfortable.

Ac has some great dives..try to hit Lighthouse if you have time..The "Aquarium" dive ROCKS!

If you go to my web page you can see some of what you will see...

Have a wonderful time!

Life May Be a Beach...I prefer Reefs...
#129576 11/14/06 08:00 AM
M
mobow Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thanx everyone for your replys. You have been very helpful. Axeman, Thanx for the pictures. I am pumped. keith

#129577 11/14/06 10:38 AM
M
mobow Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I have done some research of home area dive shops. Any thoughts on SSI certification vesrses PADI? keith

#129578 11/14/06 10:42 AM
JZB Offline
I think PADI shops are more common worldwide.

#129579 11/14/06 11:48 AM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
It really makes very little difference while you're qualifying and none afterwards. Choose your local dive shop according to which one you like best, not which agency it's affiliated to. Whichever agency you start with you can complete your qualification with (almost) any other agency.

#129580 11/14/06 11:54 AM
Originally posted by mobow:
I have done some research of home area dive shops. Any thoughts on SSI certification vesrses PADI? keith
I taught SSI and I hold a total of 7 differents cert cards bothe PADI and SSI... they all allow me to dive anywhere. IT's much more the instructor than the agency today. Years ago lots of differences, today no so many. Find an instructor that works well with you.

Get use to your equipment, learn to use it so its second nature and enjoy your dives, I predict that you will be hooked soon!

Support Ambergris Caye Emergency Rescue
The life we are trying to save may be a loved one of yours
#129581 11/14/06 01:56 PM
I would echo the recommendation to do as much as you can at home. However, I do strongly recommend Steve and Manuel at Belize Ocean Divers located at Journey's End Resort. They are excellent instructors with excellent attention to detail.

#129582 11/14/06 02:02 PM
Personally i have to agree with Stephania... i loved the hands on experience right away! it's really the only way that i retain information...

i can understand what SS is talking about but at the same time everybody has different learning techniques! like some need to learn in a classroom and than taking the "classroom" stuff at home and the actual dives in Belize is prob a better idea! but if u need the hands on experience to learn it may be best to do everything in Belize!

So really it's all up to u and what u think is best for ur own learning experiences!! enjoy ur trip and ur scuba lessons!

#129583 11/14/06 02:09 PM
How many dives do you have now ida?

#129584 11/14/06 02:19 PM
not maybe but what does have to do with anything!!

all i know is that i'm happy i got the hands on that i did!! but like i said EVERYBODY is different right!

#129585 11/14/06 05:19 PM
It may not have anything to do with what you've retained. Mayhap you've retained everything you should have done.

True enough everyone is different, but learning patterns are pretty much established for the majority. And I am talking about what will be retained regarding physics, etc, not just how to clear your mask. My concern is how much a student retains of what they were taught, assuming they were taught all of the required materials and did the book study as they were supposed to do.

I'm certainly not arguing a "hands on" approach as you call it. This happens in the pool sessions and the open water portions of a properly instructed course, regardless.

#129586 11/14/06 05:26 PM
True... but personally just reading material doesn't do anything for me... for example while i was in school i found it harder to retain much by just reading until i found my own way to learn!

unfortunately though instructors do teach the way that they want to and the way they are most comfortable with! for me i got lucky to have an instructor that taught me in a way that i would retain things!

i did after my certification maybe like a month or 2 later re-read my book! it was a good refresher... but in a way that yeah i remember doing that or being told!

#129587 11/15/06 08:20 AM
JZB Offline
But Ida, doing the whole course in the water means you miss out on the hilarious cheesey videos in class! wink Also, did they teach you dive tables and that junk?

#129588 11/15/06 08:46 AM
I think doing your confined water skills in a pool about 12 ft. deep is better than the ocean in about 6 ft. of water, which is why I would recommend doing your class & water time at home & check out dives at S.P.
But it really depends on your comfort level in the water, It may take you 15-20 dives to feel the comfort level in the ocean, everyone is different.

P.S. you still have to watch the videos even in S.P. I believe

#129589 11/15/06 09:08 AM
Maybe so, but apparently you get to watch them from the water.

#129590 11/15/06 09:17 AM
:p :p :p

#129591 11/15/06 09:46 AM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
We recently had a diver who had a PADI Open Water card obtained in Texas about 15 years ago. He was adamant that the entire course was taught in a single weekend, with no formal classroom sessions and just one dive (in a quarry). Mind you, I know someone in England who was given his PADI Rescue Diver card by mail order - never even met the "instructor".

#129592 11/15/06 10:26 AM
S
S
It was once boosted to me not to long ago that: I was taking too much time with a couple of students; and he could have run the whole class in an afternoon at the end of the pier, and had them in the ocean that afternoon.

Some may be offended: PADI writes their books on a fifth grade level. In class and pool you should be presented with everything at least three times. With a few a students the requirements don't change, time is essential in the learning process, you have got to have time to absorb what you are learning/doing. On vacation does anyone really absorb anything other than the coconut rum, the beach and sunsets.

Do your learning at home support you local dive shop and if you like your instructor take them with you. If you would like to get a bit more techie go with SSI or TDI. PADI still teachs the world to dive and quotes 85% or the worlds divers as thiers.

Of course all of this is mute point if your french.

I read it on the internet so it must be true.
#129593 11/15/06 01:11 PM
jzb... i didn't have to watch any videos and i'm happy about that! i usually fall asleep during them anyway!!! haha! as for the tables... i was teaching my friend them! i know them very well... that was actually something that the instructor went over and over and over with us until we KNEW it! in other words all the actual important stuff like safety... he took his time with to make sure that we knew it! the draining of our masks wasn't as important as the safety u know!

j dog... ur right about the comfort level! everybody is different! i was more nervous about the a pool dive that i did a LONG time ago than i was to be in the ocean even at my first 60 foot dive!

#129594 11/15/06 03:09 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Ida - don't know when you did your cert or who with, but with PADI watching the videos is mandatory nowadays.

#129595 11/17/06 09:37 AM
We did it in may and we didn't have to watch any videos

Happiness is a voyage, not a destination....live & enjoy every moment....

~*~Ania~*~
#129596 11/17/06 12:43 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Well your instructor broke PADI standards.

#129597 11/17/06 12:59 PM
i don't even think i watched a video when i was here in Canada when i did in introduction to Scuba!

#129598 11/17/06 01:04 PM
S
S
As a matter of symantics did you watch a DVD, not a video as in VCR but video on a DVD?

#129599 11/17/06 01:06 PM
no...

DVD's were too expensive than!! LOL!! besides that was with my high school... i still don't think they have DVD's there! well i wouldn't be surprised!

#129600 11/17/06 09:12 PM
Introduction to Scuba? I don't think that is the full course, is it Peter?

#129601 11/18/06 09:11 AM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
No it isn't. That's a non-certification level - you don't get a card. What you do for it is some basic classroom training (including watching a video - mandatory!), a practical introduction to the equipment and a session in shallow water to learn some basic skills, ending in a real dive at a (shallow) real dive site.

The full Open Water course has a lot of classroom work, five videos to watch, several tests plus a final exam, two or more hours in shallow water to learn and practice skills, and four dives to graduated depths.

The lower level "Scuba Diver" course follows the pattern of the OW course, but with fewer skills, three videos, and only two dives. No final exam in this one.

Other agencies follow pretty well the same pattern as PADI, but use different names. Some confusingly use the same term "Scuba Diver" for different levels (though I think the fault is PADI's).

#129602 11/18/06 09:16 AM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Ida - the PADI teaching philosophy is designed to help the student learn and retain what has been taught. Everything is covered three times to reinforce the learning process. And the philosophy of "tell you what we're going to teach you, then teach you, then tell you what we taught you" is uniformly followed.

It can be a bit tedious at times, but it's not for nothing that PADI has grown to be bigger (much) than all the other recreational scuba agencies combined. Unfortunately there are still instructors who cut corners and break the standards so carefully worked out. If you get a cert card without having gone through all this you haven't gotten a bargain - you've been short changed and should complain to PADI.

#129603 11/18/06 09:21 AM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Scuba-John, Seashell and others - thanks for your recent help elsewhere. Right WILL triumph over wrong!

#129604 11/21/06 08:02 AM
S
S
I would agree with with Pedro2, you have been short changed but not only short changed...you may have missed some really important ideas about preventing problems that, could save your life! Cant build a burger if your buns are still frozen.

Good on ya, P2.

#129605 11/21/06 08:16 AM
M
mobow Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thanx everyone for all your helpful information. I have decided to get my course work and confined water work done here and then do my open water dives there. Seems like the best of both worlds to me. Again thank you to everyone. You have been most helpful. keith

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 329 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.