Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#13085 08/21/00 08:56 PM
P
PattiS Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Thought I'd better move the duPlooy's questions from the Ambergris specific board. I was wondering if anyone (especially you, Debbie) has any suggestions for keeping my parents (78, 79) happy and occupied for our 6 days at the lodge. My dad is very active but my mom has an occational hip problem that makes long walks not so pleasent. Would the Tikal trip be too taxing or are there all levels of tours available? How about the sites closer to San Ignacio? Thanks so much for everyone's input. This board is invaluable.

#13086 08/22/00 08:10 AM
duPlooy's (and other vendors) have many different types of tours and trips available. Some are for couch potatoes, some for the very active and fit.

Many of the trips involve and much or as little physical activity as you want. For example, Tikal can be very strenuous if you climb all the temple buildings and do a lot of walking, or you can just ride there in a van and walk casually around the museum and on some of the trails. Probably if someone has a problem walking it would be better not to go on a group tour, but either to walk alone using a guidebook or to arrange a private tour with a guide.

Most trips do involve at least some walking. Xunatunich and Cahal Pech are small Maya sites near San Ignacio that do not require much walking. Che Chem Ha Cave Maya site or any of the other caves such as Barton Creek are probably too strenuous for someone with limited mobility. Rio Frio Cave in the Pine Ridge would be okay, probably.

A visit to either Green Hills or Chaa Creek's butterfly farm would be okay for most anyone, as would a walk through the Rainforest Medicine Trail (formerly Panti Trail) near Chaa Creek.

The grounds at duPlooy's are somewhat hilly, but they are well maintained with walkways and you can drive most places including around the Botanic Gardens.

--Lan Sluder
Belize First Magazine http://www.turq.com/belizefirst/

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
#13087 08/22/00 08:39 AM
PattiS,
DuPlooy's has a marvelous botanical garden on site. Just ask and they will arrange for a nature tour around the facility. We loved it! So many flowers and plants and trees!!! All were so lovely. I think your parents would definately enjoy this. As I mentioned before, duPlooy's is right on the Macal River but it is a VERY steep trek down a narrow, winding, stone pathway to the water. Going down wasn't so bad, but coming up may pose a problem. If your parents enjoy bird watching, the resort sends large trays of fruit out into the canopy every morning, by pully, to attact the numerous birds, which include tucans and parrots. Bring binoculars!!! San Ignacio is a short ride, and the management can arrange a trip into town for a lunch outing or shopping. Surely, there are many points of interest in town. As Lan mentioned, there are a few day trips that I think your parents could handle. I believe duPlooy's has most of their tours listed on the net. Print it out, and see what your parents think. BUT... The management there is fantastic, and don't feel that you are only limited to those tours. They would be happy to arrange anything for you.
Debbie

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 267 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.