Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#133344 12/08/00 03:29 PM
OP Offline
Anyone have any experience bringing USDA meat into Belize?
We had a problem last time and are looking for any suggestions or opinions you might have. (Husband is a BBQ freak.)

#133345 12/08/00 05:58 PM
There's BBQ in San Pedro!!!!!

#133346 12/08/00 07:01 PM
For years we have brought some of our own meats with us. In September of this year my husband arrived with our usual USDA meats and almost had his items confiscated. According to the customs agent and the quarrantine officer you are not allowed to bring any amounts of meat into the country unless you have an import form. Supposedly the amount that you have to pay is a small fee of only $5.00. Form is supposedly availabe in Belmopan.
My take on the situation is that they are trying to discourge you from this practice. Next time I am in Belize I will see about getting a form and post the information.

#133347 12/08/00 07:05 PM
chunkyruth....become a vegetarian and you can change your nickname to foxyruth.

There is only one cure for baldness. It was invented by a Frenchman. It is called the guillotine.
#133348 12/08/00 07:28 PM
Ruth,
I'm very interested in this topic. We are planning to bring about 4 pounds of andouille sausage down in two weeks for Art to use for Thursday night Cajun at BC's. In 20+ trips we've never been hassled at customs, but there's always that possibility. It will alll be frozen and intact with USDA stickers. We were supposed to bring this down in early November, but "things" just didn't work out.

Shit, what about bread? We always bring a couple loaves of dark pumpernickel for our friends.

Ruth...are you at CBV? I think I remember something about that.

(Boy..this is really somber stuff, not remotely jocose...suppose it should go to the other board?

CC

#133349 12/08/00 07:36 PM
M
M
I know this is a stupid question but is there no good local meat available to buy in Ambergris Caye or Belize City? I thought the quakers are fantastic farmers and ranchers and produce enough meat for everyone in Belize. Is this wrong information? Good meat would be important for me as well when we move there.

#133350 12/08/00 08:02 PM
Well we are not much of a meateater, so I can not vouch for the meat supply. Chicken production is run by the Mennonites and is a well run organization. Not everyone on this board goes to Ambergis Caye. We are located in a small village down south, a four hour drive from the airport if things are going well. Just easier and cheaper for me to bring enough stuff for a few meals. That way I don't have to worry about going to the store opening the freezer and finding no stuff. FYI all the meats and chickens in our village arrive frozen and are sold that way. Also as a treat I usually make pizzas for friends and family and so just easier to bring my own cheese and salami. Anyone thinking of making the move to Belize I always advise a trip to any of the stores to check the prices of items and also what is available.
I hate to say but I think that you will find that your 4 lbs of meat is going to be confiscated from you. Maybe you can get around this by showing your passport and telling them that you were unaware of this new rule. My husband declined to take any meats with him this time and he has been known to have a few debates with the customs personell. Maybe you will be lucky.

[This message has been edited by kcbc (edited 12-08-2000).]

[This message has been edited by kcbc (edited 12-08-2000).]

#133351 12/08/00 09:15 PM
BBQ???, Hey If you can't get that meat into Belize, sned it my way!!!

#133352 12/08/00 11:24 PM
OP Offline
As a matter of fact we have been quite pleased with the meat we have bought in San Pedro.

There are, however, some particular cuts of meat that my husband has a hard time finding...even up here in the states. So, when he comes across his favorites...he tends to hoard them to bring down to San Pedro for his beloved beachside barbeques.

On our last trip the "quarantine officer" barely let us squeeze my husband's "precious cargo" into the country...saying we needed a permit from Belize City and the office where we would acquire it was closed.

I do have emails into several government offices requesting the regulations for bringing USDA meat into the country. I was just curious if any others had any experience with this.

Choochoo, yes...we are CBV devotees.

Debbie...I agree, we have enjoyed much of the barbeque in San Pedro. My husband barbeques as a hobby...some people fish...some dive...others barbeque (luckily for me!)

#133353 12/08/00 11:43 PM
OP Offline
Marytom...I know you know what I am talking about when it comes to my husband's obsession with barbeque.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 353 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.