Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#133654 - 01/08/01 04:31 PM Friendly Advice
CHOOCHOO Offline
Hi guys,

For those of you who are firmly in the 21st century and have succumbed to your bank's lure of making extensive use of your debit card, here's a bit of advice....do not feel that as a rule fraudulent transactions against your debit card are subject to the good ol' $50 exposure that your credit cards have. These are essentially cash transactions and have very different ramifications.

Just prior to our trip to SP my 25 year old daughter had her number taken from a transaction at a local pizzeria (Number ONLY!) When we returned home she had been hit for over $2,000 using the number only. All of this was face to face with several local merchants so there would be several conspirators to process the transaction without the card. The best part...this is cash out of her account!! Even when the account went negative Bank One kept processing the transactions and charged $25 for each one. (Over $250 in overdraft fees at this point)

Unravelling this is not an easy task, and even though the bank cooperates, it is a slow process. The sheriff's department is actually working harder on the fraud than the bank. Keep in mind this is your CASH, not future credit obligations. In it's simplest terms this is a real nightmare.

By the time the overdraft charges reach your home via the mail the damage is extensive. (These guys even had a buddy at a local watch store "mistakenly" issue a $700 credit to the account so that they could "reload" the cash and keep going)

OK, back to the good stuff...i.e Temptation Island" Yeoowwwww.

#133655 - 01/08/01 05:33 PM Re: Friendly Advice
Jericco Offline
Thank YOU! What good advice...I had never even thought of that.

#133656 - 01/08/01 10:33 PM Re: Friendly Advice
Anonymous
chooch, your kids really got wallopped this trip. you and swmbo would have been better off going alone this trip! hope your few "incidents" havent turned you off ac for good??

#133657 - 01/08/01 10:34 PM Re: Friendly Advice
lmarquis Offline
Funny this subject was brought up. Although my debit card number was not "stolen", I recently received my mastercard bill in the mail. Over 1k charges (mostly gas stations) from the Bay Area here in California to Southern California. How can someone use your number without a card is my question? Looks like they drove from northern to southern California and all points in between using my credit.

Now, the fraud investigation unit is sending me loads of paperwork to fill out. UGH! Makes me so glad that I defend insurance fraud cases for a living. Criminals are everywhere folks. I have cases where people claim they were injured in car accident for the sole motiviation of obtaining prescription pain medication because they are addicted! Scary.

#133658 - 01/08/01 11:38 PM Re: Friendly Advice
Chloe Offline
Oh yes, I too am still working with Marty to correct a double charge on my credit card, too.

#133659 - 01/09/01 12:02 AM Re: Friendly Advice
CHOOCHOO Offline
lmarquis,

It is so damn easy to use just the number that it is scray. I can "understand" how it happens with a phone or web purchase, but they are pros at doing this in front of the merchant.

There's even a slick little device about the size of a beeper, that the perp can use to swipe your card on the way to the register and capture all the info. A few moments with a PC and they're in business. They can even get the software to imprint cards with the info.

From our standpoint, we have done most of the investigating ourselves and have descriptions, signatures, fingerprints and even two sets of video surveilance camera films. For what it's worth these two are going to at least be arrested and charged. The sheriff's department is pretty impressed. I learned a long time ago that you cannot totally count on the authorities (lawyers included) to to give it the best. They're just too damn busy or don't really give a shit. Besides I REALLY don't liked to be f..... with, and will do just about anything to prove it.

This probably isn't the proper forum for this subject, but you guys pretty much have a few bucks and travel more than most. Be very careful.

#133660 - 01/09/01 12:31 AM Re: Friendly Advice
lmarquis Offline
Choo Choo: Way to go. Sometimes you do have to investigate yourself and can get more done that way. Oftentimes I have done so and found myself in some neighborhoods that are not that good. But, you do what you have to do.

Always use a paper shredder or tear up stuff before you put it in your trash can at home too.

#133661 - 01/09/01 06:03 AM Re: Friendly Advice
Sandshaker Offline
CHOO-CHOO

*looking at Jane's post*

This wasn't on Ambergris Caye right?

just checkin'

[This message has been edited by Sandshaker (edited 01-08-2001).]

#133662 - 01/09/01 05:29 PM Re: Friendly Advice
Debbie Offline
Choo Choo,
On my last credit card bill, I had a charge of $247 in rubles from Moscow!!!!! Now THAT is scarey. I have filled out all the paperwork, and it was obvious I had used my card the day before for dinner and the day after for something else. Hard to be in two VERY DISTANT places within 12 to 24 hours. We'll see.......... Makes me want to throw all the damned things away. Tell daughter I am so sorry for her unfortunate circumstances. Glad to see you're on top of it.
Debbie

[This message has been edited by Debbie (edited 01-09-2001).]

#133663 - 01/09/01 05:52 PM Re: Friendly Advice
Suzan Offline
It is always important to look over your credit and debit car bills carefully. You may have already heard this story as I posted it here before but someone got my AmEx # from Skyauction and started charging thousands of dollars worth of computer equipment on it when I was out of the country on a Skyauction trip. I even had a $12 charge from Romania -- is that still a country?! I have written to Skyauction 3 time about this, figuring they should know about the security breach as it must be an employee or vendor, but they have not responded one single time. Luckily, the computer companies were astute enough to recognize this was fraud and only one of them actually sent out a piece of equipment. There's a kooky, wacky, mixed-up world out there, folks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 37 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,676 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,064 Topics
462,323 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.